New Guy onboard

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

To The Boat

Howdy all--

I just launched registration with Trawler Forum.

It is retirement one time, and I promised myself a boat--I know. Money, maintenance, money, regulations, money moorage fees PLUS this will be my first boat.

Like a few other posts, I've been always wanting a Grand Banks trawler since I was a junior high school.

Ergo, based on ignorance and my Navy retirement, time to act before the inevitable (selling it).

I'm a Michigander now successfully living in the great Pacific Northwest. Looking forward to typing to y'all soon.

Respectfully-
Dave Gordon
Olympia

Hi Dave,
Welcome to the Forum.
I am not clear on whether or not you own or are going to own a Grand Banks. Great boats and I am sure you will enjoy it!
For me personally, they often have twin engines (too much maintenance and repair expense and too little room to work in the ER) and I prefer a single, they have screwed down teak decks (they are beautiful, but will leak at some point without incredible amount of maintenance) and often have large amounts of exterior wood trim (looks great but a labour of love). As I said, great boats just not for me as I want to keep my required work to a minimum (already spend hours and hours at it).
Good luck and post pictures later,
Tom

Hi Dave,
Welcome to the Forum.
I am not clear on whether or not you own or are going to own a Grand Banks. Great boats and I am sure you will enjoy it!
For me personally, they often have twin engines (too much maintenance and repair expense and too little room to work in the ER) and I prefer a single, they have screwed down teak decks (they are beautiful, but will leak at some point without incredible amount of maintenance) and often have large amounts of exterior wood trim (looks great but a labour of love). As I said, great boats just not for me as I want to keep my required work to a minimum (already spend hours and hours at it).
Good luck and post pictures later,
Tom

Pretty negative post there, especially since you don't know what year GB he is looking at.

Welcome aboard. While I don’t share your enthusiasm for Grand Banks they are a well made boat. If they fit your needs then go for it.

Congratulations on your Grand Banks dream. For what it is worth, I used to consider Grand Banks the height of practicality, and compared to the older wooden boats, mostly Huckins, that I owned at the time, they were. I have never regretted the classics I have owned, and dreamed about since childhood. I now have a more practical Nordhavn but would encourage you to pursue your long held dream.
Best,
Maldwin

Like a few other posts, I've been always wanting a Grand Banks trawler since I was a junior high school.

Welcome! Think you'll enjoy it here.

You're not alone on the Grand Banks thing. They've been archetypes for many of us I suspect. I was recently traveling with a 90s vintage 42. Lovely looking boat.

Pretty negative post there, especially since you don't know what year GB he is looking at.
Menzies,
Sorry you feel that my post was "negative" as that was not my intent. I did state several times that GB are GREAT boats (emphasis added). However, I just gave Dave my personal opinion (and reasons for those opinions) regarding upkeep and we all have a right to our opinions. You are correct, if he is buying a newer model, some of my concerns are either reduced or eliminated.
Not everyone "loves" the same type (brand/model) or has the same wants or needs when it comes to their boat preferences! Viva la difference!!!:D

Dave,
Welcome to the forum. I hope you find the trawler you are looking for. Lot's of good info. here.

Cal

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom