52 foot seas anyone?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Good lord don't feel embarrassed just because you're smart enough to avoid that stuff. I'm a bit embarrassed at hating being in city traffic and not being able to swallow asparagus (that's when I toss lunch). Don't tell anyone this but even after over fifty years I still get sick on occasion.

:thumb:

Now just imagine having to go into the hot engine room to change a filter in those conditions. And that’s when it’s most likely to happen. Ugh.

Good lord don't feel embarrassed just because you're smart enough to avoid that stuff. I'm a bit embarrassed at hating being in city traffic and not being able to swallow asparagus (that's when I toss lunch). Don't tell anyone this but even after over fifty years I still get sick on occasion.
:thumb: I can't get past the look of asparagus and I have eaten some pretty unusual dishes before. Oh yeah, my small rural town has built up over the past 25 years. I can't stand it. They have had to install two red lights to stop traffic jams. :nonono:

:thumb: I can't get past the look of asparagus and I have eaten some pretty unusual dishes before. Oh yeah, my small rural town has built up over the past 25 years. I can't stand it. They have had to install two red lights to stop traffic jams. :nonono:

We have one stop sign and I dread the day they put in a second one. You're from down where they eat that okra stuff aren't you? I spent a week in Beaufort NC back in the late eighties at the Beaufort docks and there was a great little restaurant there with the best coffee and hushpuppies, I must have gained five pounds that week. The waitress got me to try okra and it didn't go down well no matter how hard I tried.

Now just imagine having to go into the hot engine room to change a filter in those conditions. And that’s when it’s most likely to happen. Ugh.

I always change Racor filters before a blow and give the engine space a quick go around for anything adrift or a budding problem, better to be topside when lunch comes back to visit. Of course vomiting isn't the primary reason I do it.

We have one stop sign and I dread the day they put in a second one. You're from down where they eat that okra stuff aren't you? I spent a week in Beaufort NC back in the late eighties at the Beaufort docks and there was a great little restaurant there with the best coffee and hushpuppies, I must have gained five pounds that week. The waitress got me to try okra and it didn't go down well no matter how hard I tried.
Yep. Okra is a southern thing. I love it so it must be an acquired taste.

Yep. Okra is a southern thing. I love it so it must be an acquired taste.

Wifey B: We're both southern but city southern. Hubby's relatives were rural southern and all ate Okra and Squash and other stuff like that. Not either of us. No way. :)

The OP’s hubris aside, it reminds me of this vid I found before thinking about the thread of “heavy seas.” Here’s a ship we all own, with it’s bow 70’ high chopping the top 10” off waves and throwing it 400’ back. Great video:

Will that plane left out on deck be OK?
I doubt salt water baths could be good for them.

What kind of diving are you doing 7 miles out of Sebastian? Sounds like you're reaching into the Gulf Stream. How deep is the bottom there?

(I used to live in Merritt Island. Pop still does)

It was around 60/70ft range. I think you have to get past about 14 miles out for deep water. We were going back to a rock formation we had very good luck with on a previous trip. The night ended well. We came back with some of the biggest rock lobster I have ever seen.

I always change Racor filters before a blow and give the engine space a quick go around for anything adrift or a budding problem, better to be topside when lunch comes back to visit. Of course vomiting isn't the primary reason I do it.[/QUOTE

Here is a sensible thought! It often comes to me as I wonder about 1/2 way across a bit of grumpy water-(3 foot plus qualifies). :angel:

Woosies on aircraft carriers. :)

CO almost dumped my helo off the flight deck of a USCG 210 foot cutter riding out a hurricane in the Gulf of Mexico due to severe rolling.:eek:

Last edited:
I always change Racor filters before a blow and give the engine space a quick go around for anything adrift or a budding problem, better to be topside when lunch comes back to visit. Of course vomiting isn't the primary reason I do it.

I'm the opposite. I find my engine room very peaceful in bad seas. I can sit in front of the engine on the stringer by the Racors forever.
The only reason i haven't when I was so tempted is that leaving the pilot house unattended is even more nerve racking for me.
Also i've finally figured out that I get "stress" sick, not really "sea" sick or motion sickness.

I'm the opposite. I find my engine room very peaceful in bad seas. I can sit in front of the engine on the stringer by the Racors forever.
The only reason i haven't when I was so tempted is that leaving the pilot house unattended is even more nerve racking for me.
Also i've finally figured out that I get "stress" sick, not really "sea" sick or motion sickness.

Yours may be peaceful but the agitation of the fuel in the tanks brings increased amounts of crud and water to the fuel suction and can clog the Racor when the boat starts getting pitched around. It's just basic seamanship to prepare for bad weather, I was kidding about the lunch thing although I do occasionally get sick.

I always change Racor filters before a blow and give the engine space a quick go around for anything adrift or a budding problem, better to be topside when lunch comes back to visit. Of course vomiting isn't the primary reason I do it.[/QUOTE

Here is a sensible thought! It often comes to me as I wonder about 1/2 way across a bit of grumpy water-(3 foot plus qualifies). :angel:

The boat I'm working on now has a Racor 900 and a 500 and as I buy filters with a couple of lobsterman friends we get several cases and I believe it costs about $15.00 to change both, cheap insurance.

Hi,

Here the Northern Baltic Sea was a storm a few weeks ago, with the largest waves of 57 "feet, what made this wave nasty was a wave to wave of only 6.5 seconds, I wouldn't want to be on any ship in that kind of sea...

NBs

Hi,

Here the Northern Baltic Sea was a storm a few weeks ago, with the largest waves of 57 "feet, what made this wave nasty was a wave to wave of only 6.5 seconds, I wouldn't want to be on any ship in that kind of sea...

NBs

Exactly why I am an ICW kinda guy now and love flat anchorages and well sheltered marinas.

Going around life with sore shoulders and hips from bouncing off stuff is a young mans life.:D

Probably like lobster is for me.

Yep. MMMM lobster.

Wifey B: We're both southern but city southern. Hubby's relatives were rural southern and all ate Okra and Squash and other stuff like that. Not either of us. No way. :)

Yep. I come from a rural area of the upstate of SC. Well, it was rural when I was young. My area started building up in the early 90's thanks to BMW and other international manufacturing facilities moving in.

Hurricane cindy

We got stuck In hurricane cindy fishing the grand topped out over 80knts,skipper said sixty footers no problem maybe even bigger,steamed into it for 3days with captain not leaving helm,just yelling down for coffee,when he finally came down I had first watch and still remember clear as a bell,the sun beams were just starting to pierce the clouds,and when we dropped in the trough I couldn't see over the next wave,just down the pipe and it was still 40 ft rollers the tops blown off,only plus side of that storm was we were finishing up our trip and heading into barnegat light,and the Canadian swordfish quota had just filled,and we were the only boat with a full load and killed the market price

Attachments

• IMG_0073.JPG
    IMG_0073.JPG
    59.7 KB · Views: 52
  • IMG_0128.JPG
    IMG_0128.JPG
    89.3 KB · Views: 53
Been in well over 80kts on the Grand Banks and in the Gulf of Alaska many times but I doubt there was a sixty foot sea. That being said it is completely plausible for there to be a rogue or freak wave that exceeds the average sea conditions by up to two times but these are few and only rarely encountered. Fact is a forty foot sea is a very big sea indeed and usually requires an extended period of wind above 100kts and then requires sufficient fetch to generate such a sea. I would suggest anyone interested to reference William Van Dorn's Oceanography and Seamanship as an excellent source of information on weather and sea conditions.

I worked deck on a 300' NOAA vessel in the 1980's. When underway, the position was helm and watch. As part of the watch, we had to hourly "clock in" to about a dozen stations around the boat. One of the stations was right at the bow, three flights of stairs down from the main deck. When the bow was rising in seas like shown in the video, you could not climb back out. But wait for the bow to drop and you could easily go up a flight of stairs in two strides, wait at the landing, then two strides again.

The part that always made me uncomfortable was the station in "shaft alley." Down in the bilge walking the length of the dimly lit spinning shaft from engine to stuffing box. Get me back on the bridge.

We had an old senior chief on the ship back when I was in the navy and he used to tell green crew how in bad weather the ship would drop of a sea with such force that his coffee would come up out of the cup as a brown blob, levitate for a second then fall back into the cup without losing a drop. I have done many a ladder in one step myself however.

On a US DD, refueling. Wave were such one could see under the oiler midship.

I worked deck on a 300' NOAA vessel in the 1980's. When underway, the position was helm and watch. As part of the watch, we had to hourly "clock in" to about a dozen stations around the boat. One of the stations was right at the bow, three flights of stairs down from the main deck. When the bow was rising in seas like shown in the video, you could not climb back out. But wait for the bow to drop and you could easily go up a flight of stairs in two strides, wait at the landing, then two strides again.

The part that always made me uncomfortable was the station in "shaft alley." Down in the bilge walking the length of the dimly lit spinning shaft from engine to stuffing box. Get me back on the bridge.

Oh man, that brings back some memories. We used to have to do the Detex Rounds on the training ship back when I were a lad. Same idea, you carry the old leatherbound clock from station to station and punch a key. Shaft alley and the ladderwell at the after end were my two least favorite places. It was cramped and low and easy to hit your head. It was also just... creepy.

Amazing what steel will take. Ore carriers on the Great Lakes have a passageway almost the length of the ship on each side of the cargo bays and on a 1000' ship in weather it looks like you're looking down a twenty foot piece of hose while someone twists it. Thanks for the video.

Have you sailed on lakers, fish?

The dreaded Detex.....

I hate these types of threads... The seas grow with the years... My waves are bigger than your etc. I maintain my chicken of the sea status..

still waiting for a 5' sea...I'll probably be seasick!

Last edited:
After 34 years in the Bering Sea (all seasons) I get ask "Hey what's the biggest waves you've ever seen?" I tell them, "I'm not sure, I had my eyes closed."

Last edited:
What we do is called pleasure boating. For me not much pleasure in conditions like that

Oh man, that brings back some memories. We used to have to do the Detex Rounds on the training ship back when I were a lad. Same idea, you carry the old leatherbound clock from station to station and punch a key. Shaft alley and the ladderwell at the after end were my two least favorite places. It was cramped and low and easy to hit your head. It was also just... creepy.

Have you sailed on lakers, fish?

I did, used to be in something called sailors resource or something like that anyway, I believe it was in East Chicago. Anyway they used to provide crew for lakers on a temp basis so I'd go up for a few weeks now and then. I was on a few, I don't remember all the names but I do remember the American Liberty, Adam E. Cornielius and the Edward L. Ryerson. I usually sailed as a watchman or wheelsman as I held a 1600 masters license but I do remember going as AB as well, it was a lot fun and nowhere as much work as fishing.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom