View Single Post
Old 01-26-2019, 11:56 AM   #1
miraculix

City: east of the susquehanna river
hands-on boating instruction for newbies

Hi all,

From reading forum topics I got the impression that many at the beginning of their boating career have "hired" a captain to give them instructions while using their own boat. Sounds like a good idea to me since I prefer hands-on instruction over the classroom only teaching. Sure there are enough topics in boating that require a good amount of basic theoretical knowledge (regulations navigation weather and so forth) but I would prefer to start with the more hands-on stuff.
Also, my wife has to figure out if boating, other than our short Sunday afternoon sailing trips, would be something she would enjoy.

Anyhow, since we do not have our own motorboat we are looking for opportunities to rent a moderate size motorboat for a couple of days and find out if boating could be something for us or not.
I read those boat renters put a captain on the client's side (sure for money) for the time until the client met insurance requirements. That may open the opportunity for a client without experience to rent a boat but may not give you the best instruction for the money paid for the captain.

Are there other options?

Could one rent a boat and bring a captain?

The Chesapeake Bay would the best place for us not only because it is relatively close also it would be the preferred area if we would decide to buy a boat.

I assume that it may not be easy to find good instruction, I also can envision that boating instruction may have the same pitfalls as instruction in aviation where one can get pretty badly ripped off if he doesn't have the right information up front.

I appreciate your thoughts and input.

Thanks
Christoph
miraculix is offline   Reply With Quote