View Single Post
Old 01-25-2019, 01:07 PM   #14
ProMaritime

City: Hawaii
I have used both the marine version and the regular Rustoleum for years and have had better luck with the regular version. We rolled and tipped the entire interior gelcoat on our fifty-year-old Newport 41 sloop (I also own a 47 PowerCat in charter) and it has looked great for over ten years. It's just now looking like a redo is needed. Never used either version exterior but I found that the Marine version gets real thick in the can and needs a lot of thinning.

Talk about cracking...I've had two boats done professionally with Alwgrip and nearly all the exposed inside radii have cracked away from the substrate, especially where the coach-roof meets the deck. Will not waste my money on that again.

My PowerCat got creamed by Irma and I opted for an insurance re-gel coat rather that paint. Looks like it just came out of the factory.

The Awlgrip still looks good on the Newport's topsides but the cabin and deck look terrible after ten years and $30,000. Next time, if there is one, many of the new one-part products look really great and what a savings...might try one.
ProMaritime is offline   Reply With Quote