Kindle and other pads

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jchicola

Just received a Kindle Fire, and have heard other captains say they*can*be used as a chartplotter.* Any one here have experience with this?

Thanks-John High C's

My wife wants a tablet so I will watch this with interest. The Kindle Fire I believe is in color. Does it have the GPS chip in it so it can receive the sats signals? Anyone else using any tablet for navigation or navigation back up? I need one that doesn't rely on the cell towers to work. Must be able to receive the sats and than I can buy an apps like Navionics to use. My point, if I am going to spend the bucks for a tablet for my wife would like to get one that is sat. capabile as well. The salespeople in the box stores don't seem to have a clue as to that capability in their tablets.

I have been using an iPad (with GPS) for a couple of years.* I loaded Navionics US West, iNavX, AyeTides, BuoyData, ShipFinder, and a handfull of other apps.* Works great.* I use ShipFinder and AyeTides all the time.* Navionics and iNavX can be used for trip planning and as backup.* Also, I can "work" while on the water; email, letters and reports, etc.

Fighterpilot wrote:
My wife wants a tablet so I will watch this with interest.
Tell her to wait.* The iPad 3 is coming out supposedly in March.* From what I have read it will represent a*not-insignificant improvement over the iPad 2 although I have not seen anything definitive from Apple.

I just finished directing a shoot this morning on a project integrating iPads into flight decks and the guys said they were really looking forward to the iPad 3.* Don't know what their sources of information are but I get the impression that the 3 is worth waiting for if you can, which is what I'm doing.

Marin, I've heard the same rumors regarding iPad 3.* I have iPad 1 so am looking forward to the "double" upgrade.* Our new TF owner, Andy, has stated that he wants to create a TF app for both the iPhone and iPad.* That would be welcome!*

Ray,* tell us more about shipfinder.* I've been using marinetraffic.com on my droid, but it's sometimes clumsy.** Does it provide a clear presentation of oncoming AIS traffic?* Not that I can't just drop the $3.99 and find out myself, but I'd like to hear your impressions on it before I invest that much money. ;-)

John, don't know much about the kindle, but if you're a fellow driod user, take a look at the Samsung Galaxy 10.1.* It's got real GPS.*

If you're an Apple fan, then it's tough to beat the iPad2 Wi-Fi+3G.

Hi, Al.* ShipFinder shows all AIS traffic (as long as the darn things are turned on) anywhere in the world.* The targets are color coded to correspond with the type of traffic; container, tankers, military, pleasure, etc.* By clicking (touching) on a particular vessel, one can determine Name, MMSI number, IMO number, Callsign, vessel destination, ETA, last update, speed, course, length, width, draft, status, and location (lon/lat).* If provided, we can view several photos of the vessel.* I like the app because I can take a look before pulling out and know where the ships and ferrys are located way before I see them on radar.

We can also view the track the vessel has followed for about the previous 40 miles, or so.* The app allows us to create defined regions which interest us.* For example I can look at the "Pacific Coast" between San Diego and San Francisco.* Or I can define a region as "San Francisco Bay Area" or zoom in to a region that I call "Central Bay" and look at SF water front...and so on.* Good app!* No "piece of the action" for me, just like the app.

Thanks, Ray.* I appreciate that.* I'll give it a try.

Does the Samsung have to be a certain model, like 3G or do all of the Samsungs have the GPS chip?

Fighterpilot wrote:
Does the Samsung have to be a certain model, like 3G or do all of the Samsungs have the GPS chip?
*Samsung Galaxy 10.1 Spacs

The Samsung costs less than the iPad, but has fewer accessories.

-- Edited by FlyWright on Wednesday 25th of January 2012 10:31:31 PM

By fewer accessories do you mean application or apps for it? I thought it had better features such as a usb connection. Thus far the big box stores haven't been able to address the Sat chip for me regarding any of their non Apple tablets. That is Sam's, Walmart, Office Max, and Office Depot. Haven't tried Staples yet. Thanks, was hopeing some one was using a non Apple tablet for navigation or navigation back up.

Fighterpilot wrote:
By fewer accessories do you mean application or apps for it? I thought it had better features such as a usb connection. Thus far the big box stores haven't been able to address the Sat chip for me regarding any of their non Apple tablets. That is Sam's, Walmart, Office Max, and Office Depot. Haven't tried Staples yet. Thanks, was hopeing some one was using a non Apple tablet for navigation or navigation back up.
There are a huge number of apps for the droid market.* By accessories, I mean items like after market cases, mounts, etc.* If you want to know the specs of any item, just google it and go to the manufacturer's website.* It's all there with little effort.

We have a Samsung that we got at Verizon to replace the Wifi air card as the Samsumg can also be a hot spot, and I been using it as an E reader and*brouse the Web.* The Samsung run all the Droid applications.* Cost 150 bucks with a 2 year contract at 49 bucks a month.*I like the*Samsung as its about the same size as a Kindle/Nook as the Ipad is to big.***

I have not looked into applications as we have two person PC on the boat and we use the Samsung mostly as a 3G hot spot.*

Phil Fill wrote:
I like the*Samsung as its about the same size as a Kindle/Nook as the Ipad is to big.***

It is rumored that the iPad will be available in two sizes, the current one and a smaller one.* We'll see.......

I'll order the larger iPad should they be offered in two sizes (current size and smaller).* I already have an iPhone...
smile.gif

Yes, for what I would be doing with it--- and definitely what airlines and maintenance departments are doing with it--- the current size is much more user-friendly than a smaller size would be.

I would be weary of tablets with GPS and no 3g connections. I have one. It is the ASUS Transformer Prime. Quad core the whole bit. It even had a keyboard dock that basically turns it into and "Ultra Slim" netbook. Anyway, the GPS has been a boondoggle since the back of the tablet is a snazzy spun aluminum. It just can't get a reliable lock. If you will notice, any iPad that does NOT have 3g also does NOT have GPS. Apple makes sure **** works and they have come to the conclusion that GPS does not work well without 3g assistance. I would assume the Radios in our chartplotters are just better radios that can exist on their own. That or Apple is sacrificing function over form because they want to have the aluminum backing. With all this said, I have no clue how well the non-3g Sammy Galaxy Tab works. I do know it has a plastic backing material. What attracted me to the ASUS was the screen brightness...allegedly the brightest screen in the market...400 NITS I believe. Anyway, I can actually get around all this by tethering my phone to the ASUS and then it shares GPS info with the tablet. I would assume there is an app for the iPad that could do the same although I do not know. It works very well actually and you can just leave your phone in your pocket.

To the original poster, I would assume that the Kindle Fire does not have GPS since it is such a basic tablet. Maybe you could hack it(since I believe the Fire only allows Kindle/Amazon proprietary apps on it) and then use your phone's GPS position info. But you would have to be a fairly advanced user to do all of that.

Baker wrote:
That or Apple is sacrificing function over form because they want to have the aluminum backing.
One of the rumors about the iPad 3 that is based on the materials the company has been ordering lately is that it will have a composite case.

I would still be surprised if they released a wifi only tablet with GPS.

But the question is will the tablets work as plotters when not in cell or tower range and you are out in the boondocks? Playing with maps and charts is*one thing, real time chart plotting as your vessel moves around "offshore' another.

I just bought my first iPad. Loaded shipfinder on it but apple doesn't like Adobe Flash player and I can't get it to work! What do I do?

If you are looking to open a website to download a navigation program my son, (very IT savvy - doing PhD), says you would need 'Navionics Marine' or equivalent. Adobe Flash player not relevant here.

Sunchaser's question is dead on for a back up chartplotter. Since I am going to buy my wife a tablet I would be willing to spend a little more money to get a back up chartplotter. We have 3 GPS systems on the boat but for a few dollars more I might as well have 4. Looking at the specs gives some insight as to capability but the revelation that the aluminum back on the tablet was causing some GPS problems was the first I had heard of that. Comments from real time users of the various tablets is most helpful.

Whistledoc wrote:
I just bought my first iPad. Loaded shipfinder on it but apple doesn't like Adobe Flash player and I can't get it to work! What do I do?
**If it is an Apple app from the App Store then it should have already passed muster and should work fine. *Nobody would build(nor would Apple approve) an app for iPad/Phone with flash in it.

If it is just a website you are trying to look at that is flash based, then you are out of Luck...but I do know for a fact, there is an app for that!!!!

http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/ship-finder-hd-free/id364616485?mt=8*

-- Edited by Baker on Friday 27th of January 2012 08:59:02 AM

-- Edited by Baker on Friday 27th of January 2012 09:00:08 AM

Fighterpilot wrote:
Sunchaser's question is dead on for a back up chartplotter. Since I am going to buy my wife a tablet I would be willing to spend a little more money to get a back up chartplotter. We have 3 GPS systems on the boat but for a few dollars more I might as well have 4. Looking at the specs gives some insight as to capability but the revelation that the aluminum back on the tablet was causing some GPS problems was the first I had heard of that. Comments from real time users of the various tablets is most helpful.
Sunchaser's question might have "some" relevance, but not much. *If you are relying entirely on a tablet for navigation then you may want to rethink your choice of electronics. *If you are using it as a FOURTH backup chartplotter, then you are having a VERY bad day if you get all the way down to it. *A tablet as it relates to navigation on your boat is a novelty. *Is it accurate...yes, for the most part.

*Download Navionics on your phone and it works perfectly. *You can use it on your tablet as well. *I would research the net for what you are looking for. *I would HIGHLY caution you not to choose one based SOLELY on it's ability to be a chartplotter....since you already have 3 on board...and you likely spend more time on your couch than on your boat(my point being you will use it for something else 99% of the time). *

I do have a close friend that uses his iPad1 as a chartplotter and it works very well. *But realize the 3G models cost more to buy and then you have to maintain a monthly payment around $45 a month.....$500 a year and likely have to sign a multi year contract. *That is an expensive back up FOURTH chartplotter. *Sorry, don't mean to bring logic or sense into this....I know they don't really matter since Tablets are "emotional" purchases. *What is cool is he streams his music straight from the iPad so you have all your music and it's controls right there on your "chartplotter"....and he even has a really neat mount that puts it right in his face while driving....."Shipfinder"...same thing. *So as you can see, there is some neat stuff you can do with it.....but still, arguably, a novelty.

-- Edited by Baker on Friday 27th of January 2012 08:56:27 AM

Baker wrote:
*Download Navionics on your phone and it works perfectly.

It's soo easy!

The boats portable PC died, so last night we bought a portable Samsung as many PC are not compatible with the Samsung Galaxy note pad used as a hot spot.* Anyway the Samsung operates under the Droid applications, 200,000+ applications, and there are 3 marine chart programs.* How ever we will stay with the Navtech on the PC as it is not dependant on Verizon cell coverage.*

Whistledoc, on your iPad, download Ship Finder HD*from the "App Store".* It was designed by Pinkfroot Limited.* The current version is 2.53.* Ignor Shipfinder.com.

-- Edited by Giggitoni on Friday 27th of January 2012 12:23:15 PM

Didn't realize one had to subscribe to something to use the GPS function on the Apple. That would eliminate the Apple for consideration. Do you also have to subscribe to something to use it in the house if you have wi-fi? I thought GPS chip with something like Navionics software would function with out subscribing to any thing. Am I wrong? Not going to use it as phone, but realize to down load books thru wi-fi would have to pay someone, but didn't think one had to pay anyone to use the GPS function with the proper software. Interesting.

Phone I have is old cell phone with Verizon. $14.00 a month on my daughters plan. Can't use it in lieu of a tablet unless I upgrade. Sounds as if I might just as well buy my wife a kindle and be done with it, although she has seen her daughters IPad and thinks she ought to have one hence my quest to learn more about the capabilites of the tablets. I will have to see if any of Android ones requre subscriptions to use the GPS capability.* Thanks for the information regarding Apple.

-- Edited by Fighterpilot on Friday 27th of January 2012 04:31:21 PM

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom