Outboard Trawler from Cape Dory

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Looks like a C-Dory knockoff. And alas, not a lick of cast bronze on it.

Parks,
Looks like an OB cruiser to me and w a quick scan I didn’t see those boats called a trawler at all. They used the appropriate word “cruiser’.

The article calls them "a new series of powerboats".

The one in the picture is a new version of the Marinaut 215. It was originally designed as an "improvement" on the C-Dory 22.

There were a few Marinauts made then production petered out mostly due to the owner's personal issues.

Not surprising, Cape Dory and C-Dory are owned by the same parent company.
I’ll be interested to see the larger boats in the line.

Are they?

I show C-Dory owned by Northwest Marine Industries and I know Ruelos was involved with them but didn't think he was now. They also own Osprey, Seasport, Skagit Orca and Tomcat.

Cape Dory is "owned" by Madison Bay Holdings per the report. Now Madison Bay has been interesting in having agreements and managing and options and playing various roles with various companies. They've been involved with Westship, once had a promotions agreement with Northern and had the rights to distribute Warlock and were involved with Summit RV's.

Cape Dory is offering the two small trailerable boats, a 33 and 36' cruiser which they say will be built initially only on a custom basis, and some large catamarans which are actually Powerplay Catamarans, built in Thailand.

Seems like a bit of an uncertain and tangled mess and a start up company. I'm not sure where in Sarasota they're building the boats.

The C-Dory is built in the PNW. Has been for a long time. The Marinaut was also from the PNW. hHowever, that company stopped making Marinaut boats. The Marinaut rights were bought and the new Marinauts are going to be produced in FL (according to the webpage).

Cape Dory in name only. The "Real" company has been defunct for 20+ years......

People need to read that two sentences 100 times. New company, no track record. New boats, no track record. Total boats sold and delivered = zero.

I'm sorry, but I know two many people who have been victimized by new builders or new models. When they actually build a boat and you can get on it and go for a sea trial, then they have my attention. This makes another company trying to claim the reputation of a builder from 15 or 20 years ago when they have nothing to really tie to it.

Heron,
Kinda like Albin.
“Real” Albins came from Sweden.
Other Albins are (I hear) good boats.

Heron,
Kinda like Albin.
“Real” Albins came from Sweden.
Other Albins are (I hear) good boats.

Yup....Both with their group fans along with Cape Dory. Friend with a Swedish Albin sold it in a day via Craigslist. I have no doubt I could sell my 28 with minimal effort...

Last edited:

I don't know if they own the name Cape Dory but Robinhood Marine in Georgetown, Maine has some of the molds and I understand will still build original Cape Dory boats on order. Also Spartan Marine still makes bronze fittings and is located at Robinhood Marine as well. I own a Cape Dory 28 sailboat and used to own a Cape Dory 38 trawler, Robinhood Marine is about forty minutes from my house. I understand they still have the 38' trawler mold which would make an outstanding hull for custom pleasure trawler, I have an original brochure if anyone's interested.

Last edited:
Fish 53, it was a sad day walking away after 18 years of sailing our CD28.

Attachments

• 18F29FB2-CA6D-4BBA-8C28-45A334C6D347.jpg
    18F29FB2-CA6D-4BBA-8C28-45A334C6D347.jpg
    48.7 KB · Views: 72
They are a delightful sailboat, build quality is second to none. Mine is 397 and I'm thinking about selling as I'm not young anymore and I own too many boats.

People need to read that two sentences 100 times. New company, no track record. New boats, no track record. Total boats sold and delivered = zero.

I'm sorry, but I know two many people who have been victimized by new builders or new models. When they actually build a boat and you can get on it and go for a sea trial, then they have my attention. This makes another company trying to claim the reputation of a builder from 15 or 20 years ago when they have nothing to really tie to it.

And boats that bear no resemblance to "real" Cape Dorys in the slightest

I had a Typhoon and a CD 28. Both nice sailing and forgiving boats. My uncle would take me to the CD shop in Ma when I was a young boy. Nice memories

Love Typhoon’s, our CD Club had four that we raced. Started sailing in a CD25, then traded it in for the 28, 25 years of sailing, two cruises out to Eluthera and the Abacos, the highlights of the 25 years, those where the days. Yes nice memories.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom