Oil question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Spotter

Veteran Member
Vessel Name
Drifter
Vessel Make
30 glasply
I have a John Deere turbo 150 HP diesel in a forty foot Trawler that I change oil every 100 hours. We just got a new Costco in town, “first ever”, and I had never been in a Costco before. Strolling around, I found they were selling dello 15 40 three one gallon jugs for a decent price. Will I be okay using this if it’s rated api or do I need to be concerned by anything else? Thanks in advance.

Should be fine as long as it is rated for diesels and the Delo brand is specifically for diesels.

David

Well regarded by engine guys. I think "DELO" stands for diesel engine lubrication oil.

Just make sure the API spec and viscosity meet your Deere's needs. Almost certain it does.

100hr change is a short interval. Most engines are around 200-250hr and can be stretched based on samples.

I imagine you would be fine with it. My only comment would be to ask if you're still under warranty with the engine. I have a JD 4045 and chose to use JD's oil through the warranty period. Figured it was worth the small price difference to have the dealer on my side as he knew I was buying the oil from him.

Ted

I have used Delo in my previous boat with Cat diesels and my current boat with Lehman diesels. I was in the auto parts business for many years and sold lots ans lots of the stuff to my customers with diesels. Just don't want to buy it in Canada. Last summer I needed some and had to pay $28.00 for a gallon. Just bought some here in the Northwest and paid $13.99 a gallon. I am taking plenty with me this year.

Deere doesn't make their own oil, contractors do. If Chevron (DELO) doesn't have the contract it is probably because they weren't one of the lowest bidders.

I've been there. Refineries are not run by perfectioni$ts.

Last edited:
Companies may not make their own oil but they may have it made for then to their own specs.

And there is a difference according to independent oil analysis.

Thank you everyone for your replies. My same thoughts regarding dello, just needed a reality check.

There are two Delo formulas. Delo 100 for 2 stroke engines and Delo 400 for 4 stroke engines. Which formula purchased was not mentioned. JohnDeere was mentioned so that would require Delo 400.

Here's a link to the best article I have seen on marine diesel oils. Too many are OTR w emission equipment and not apple's to apple's IMHO
Go to the Cox Eng Marine Diesel Oil article

http://dkloeber.wixsite.com/bacchus/links

I have been using that exact oil from Costco for my JD 4045 TFM75. It meets the spec in my manual. Last analysis w/174 hours on the oil, at drain time, was good.

Last edited:
And IMHO that's where any of these oil discussions should end.
Agree mostly except I would check latest recommendation from mfg vs whst was printed in older manual.
Mfg do update recommendations for same engines as newer specs become available.
They don't always endorse the latest spec oils.

Agree...look into the science

New engines especially under warranty...hard to argue with changing from manufacturer sold or recommended oil.

But a 50+ year old design like a Ford Lehman? I think more modern oils are probably the way to go as long as you understand and meet the oridinal requirements of the engine, then any improvements are gravy.

Agree...look into the science

New engines especially under warranty...hard to argue with changing from manufacturer sold or recommended oil.

But a 50+ year old design like a Ford Lehman? I think more modern oils are probably the way to go as long as you understand and meet the oridinal requirements of the engine, then any improvements are gravy.
Good point on OLDER engines... probably can't even find what was recommended anymore.
My only point is that all newer oils are not necessarily "better" for our use. I believe some of the additive changes for emissions (OTR, & emissions treatment) may be less than optimal when / if used in marine applications.
At least that was one of the points I picked up from the references Cox Eng article.

Synthetic Engine Oil: Right for older diesel engines?

I have a 14 year old Volvo TAMD41P-A 6 cyl. 200 HP turbo diesel engine in my Camano. The manual recommends 15W-40 diesel engine oil. The Synthetics I have seen on the market (Mobil 1, Shell's Rotella, etc.) for diesels seem to be mostly 5W-40. Are these lower cold pour synthetics compatible with older engines like mine? Does anyone know of authoritative articles on this subject?

It seems like using a synthetic with higher temperature tolerance, fewer contaminants than mineral oil, and better initial flow when starting up engines that experience longer time segments between use seem to make sense, while having the same high temperature viscosity as mineral oils. Seems like there should be some research literature out there, including recommendations from engine manufacturers. Goal, of course, is engine longevity, not searching for better mileage at the risk of higher engine wear. I welcome good research and recommendations from authoritative sources!

Thanks!

I have a 14 year old Volvo TAMD41P-A 6 cyl. 200 HP turbo diesel engine in my Camano. The manual recommends 15W-40 diesel engine oil. The Synthetics I have seen on the market (Mobil 1, Shell's Rotella, etc.) for diesels seem to be mostly 5W-40. Are these lower cold pour synthetics compatible with older engines like mine? Does anyone know of authoritative articles on this subject?

It seems like using a synthetic with higher temperature tolerance, fewer contaminants than mineral oil, and better initial flow when starting up engines that experience longer time segments between use seem to make sense, while having the same high temperature viscosity as mineral oils. Seems like there should be some research literature out there, including recommendations from engine manufacturers. Goal, of course, is engine longevity, not searching for better mileage at the risk of higher engine wear. I welcome good research and recommendations from authoritative sources!

Thanks!
AMSOIL makes a 15W-40 diesel synthetic oil.

Bob Smith recommended Shell Rotella 30W. Still available.

Jim
It is well to remember that Ford Lehman engines were developed well before the widespread use of multi-grade oils. Using SAE 30 grade oil in a Lehman is fine. But, using it ignores the benefits of multi-grade oil, that is, far better cold start-up lubrication with equally good operating temp lube ability.

Bob Smith recommended Shell Rotella 30W. Still available.

Jim
The viscosity rating doesn't change it's the additive packages that have changed over time and hence the changes to the API service category. Many of the latest category/ additive changes especially in diesel "C" catagories have been driven by tightening emission standards and the addition of emission systems to OTR trucks... which don't apply to our marine applications.

The referenced / Linked Cox Eng article (post #13) actually claims that some of the latest API catagories can be detrimental for some marine diesel applications.

The personal opinion I have formed after digging and reading all I could find re marine diesel application is...
It is probably more important to choose the correct additive package / API category and viscosity for the expected marine environment than synthetic vs dino or single vs multi-vis oil.
IMO a synthetic oil with the wrong API catagory is no better than the correct dino oil and may in fact be detrimental for a marine application. But that is only my opinion and I know what that is and what its worth!?

Has ANYONE here on TF actually worn out a diesel engine using single wt dino oil in their diesel??

Last edited:
The viscosity rating doesn't change it's the additive packages that have changed over time and hence the changes to the API service category. Many of the latest category/ additive changes especially in diesel "C" catagories have been driven by tightening emission standards and the addition of emission systems to OTR trucks... which don't apply to our marine applications.

The referenced / Linked Cox Eng article (post #13) actually claims that some of the latest API catagories can be detrimental for some marine diesel applications.

The personal opinion I have formed after digging and reading all I could find re marine diesel application is...
It is probably more important to choose the correct additive package / API category and viscosity for the expected marine environment than synthetic vs dino.
IMO a synthetic oil with the wrong API catagory is no better than the correct dino oil and may in fact be detrimental for a marine application. But that is only my opinion and I know what that is and what its worth!?
"The viscosity rating doesn't change it's the additive packages that have changed over time "

True. Base oils are the same as ever. It's the additives that make them multi-vis. I stand on my opinion that multi-vis oil, assuming it meets the diesel API standard, is better choice for any engine even those such as Lehmans despite the out-dated manual recommendation. Naysayers, think about this. Find me any manufacturer making diesel engines in the last 30 years or more that specs a straight grade oil if, in fact, it is a better choice.

"It is probably more important to choose the correct additive package / API category and viscosity for the expected marine environment than synthetic vs dino."

Agree 100%, well almost. Marine environment, by which I am assuming you mean ambient temperarture, is not a relevant factor. A diesel engine should always reach its operating temp and stay there within an insignificant range. Therefore, one should use whatever viscosity oil the manufacturer recommends at operating temp.

"IMO a synthetic oil with the wrong API catagory is no better than the correct dino oil and may in fact be detrimental for a marine application."

Absolutely correct. There are plenty of oils, both dino and synthetic, that meet our requirements.

Manufacturers buy the same stuff from the same suppliers. Turbos, bearings etc are not much different from one manufacturer to another. Even proprietary parts are made of metal sourced from the same suppliers. Materials are pretty much the same.

Engineering puts more pounds per square inch on some bearings but designers have little motivation to deviate from established standards. In the olden days engine protection was a function of viscosity. Additives changed that. Engineering is pretty much the same.

There were some aeration requirements for unit injectors and emissions requirements for catalytic converters and particulate filters but overall, same, same. Technology is pretty much the same.

It would be a rare individual who didn't run out of time, fuel or patience before they could wear out a diesel engine using any modern oil. The engine is likely to wear you out before you wear it out.

Clean wallly brand oil is better than any contaminated oil.

Where's my coffee? I might need a nap.

I have a Ford 272x series operators manual labeled 1988. Below is the oil viscosity chart from page 16 of that manual. Of course the 2725 is the FL135 and the 2722 is the FL90. I believe this shows that Ford was keeping up with changes in oil technology. One just needs the newer recommendations.

Ken

Attachments

• Manual page.png
    Manual page.png
    94 KB · Views: 57
  • Viscosity chart.png
    Viscosity chart.png
    36.5 KB · Views: 233
Last edited:
Does time passed factor into oil change interval or is it engine hours alone? ie every 200 hours or 6 months whichever comes first,

Does time passed factor into oil change interval or is it engine hours alone? ie every 200 hours or 6 months whichever comes first,

I think you'll find varying opinions about this. I believe is it more out of concern about keeping contaminated oil in the engine for longer periods of time. In my personal opinion if the oil is very clean it can stay in longer. In fact, I am doing it this year. At layup time this year, my mains only had about 25hrs on the oil. I had it tested (test results excellent) and left it in. On next drain I should have about ~150hrs on that same oil and will have it tested again. It will be interesting to see how the oil tests then.

I once attended a seminar by the chief mechanic of the Norweigan Sun cruise ship. When oil change intervals came up, he said they only change when oil analysis indicated a change was due. They did not want to have to change the 11,000 liters unnecessarily.

Ken

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom