Slowly Getting Through The Pre-Season Projects!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

menzies

Guru
Vessel Name
SONAS
Vessel Make
Grand Alaskan 53
14 out of 35 completed. Some simple, like applying the Reobic drain cleaner or lubricating the zippers, some more involved, like sanding and varnishing the rails and name plates or adding a wash down on the foredeck. Some done by me, some by my electronics guy, and some by my mechanic.

How are you guys doing?

Attachments

• SonasProjects.jpg
    SonasProjects.jpg
    62.4 KB · Views: 190
I have still more than 3 months to go before the pre-season!

L

In theory I only have two items left on my preseason list. Changing the raw water impeller on the generator and an oil change on the main engines. I had 3 items on the winter not functioning correctly list. Two of them are done, overhauling steering univalve and servicing/adjusting stabilizers. The remaining item, diagnosing and servicing the water maker is in process. That leaves me with just one major spring project, installing new windshield wiping system. Of course next weekend is boat show and that could change everything.

Well done.
I guess it helps having a deadline with the start of boating season.

I keep ticking items off my list and adding others. I don't expect it will ever be completed.

I actually have another biggie just added. I had noticed during last fall that the anchor and chain were past due for a galvanization. We last anchored out in September - marinas since then.
When we anchored last week a lot of rust dust hit the deck - and on the same day they completed my monthly wash!
So I called the local company that does it and will be taking the anchor and chain off tomorrow and taking it over on Monday.

I’ll be interested to hear how the regalvanize works. I’ve heard mixed reports.

Who’s doing the chain? When we looked at it several years ago, the local company didn’t have a tumbler or shacker and I was warned that some of the links maybe fused.

I’ll be interested to hear how the regalvanize works. I’ve heard mixed reports.

We’ve had chain regalvanized in New Zealand and South Africa. I’d say it lasted about 80% the life of new quality chain but the price was less than 50% of new so it was worth it. We had an anchor done in Trinidad. There the quality was poor and we would have been better off not doing it or replacing the anchor.

I regalvanized the chain and a Bruce anchor in northern New Jersey. The anchor came out great. A lot of the links were galvanized together. PIA to get them all freed up. Some of the ones stuck together didn't retain as much galvanize when separated. Unless someone comes up with a much better result, I'll buy new chain next time.

Ted

“Looking back, I’d buy new chain” is what I hear pretty consistently.

I’m currently debating with myself about whether to go with G60 stainless chain on next boat. It’s about 2x the price, but pretty compelling both short and long term.

Who’s doing the chain? When we looked at it several years ago, the local company didn’t have a tumbler or shacker and I was warned that some of the links maybe fused.

Did you speak with these people? I called last Monday and they said they could do it. I may call back Monday morning and clarify their ability.

Metalplate Galvanizing

I’m currently debating with myself about whether to go with G60 stainless chain on next boat. It’s about 2x the price, but pretty compelling both short and long term.

The bonus with stainless chain is that it lays in the anchor locker much flatter without the tendency to pile up or "castle" like galv chain does.

I just re-galvanized 300’ of 3/8” G4 chain. It had relatively little of the original zinc left and had painted sections every 25’. The paint required ‘stripping’, which is an acid dip, and doubled the cost. About half of the links were fused, which required re-handling the chain to break them loose with a hammer. No need to visit the gym that day.

Did you speak with these people? I called last Monday and they said they could do it. I may call back Monday morning and clarify their ability.

Metalplate Galvanizing

That’s who we talked to. As Tom mentioned there’s also prep involved. Since we had been marking our chain with paint, they had to strip that off. I could have done that by dragging the 300’ behind our car on a dirt road but... We ended up getting new Acco chain from Port Supply and a 2 year warranty for rust.

How did you manage to buy from Port Supply - do you have a commercial account?

I just re-galvanized 300’ of 3/8” G4 chain. It had relatively little of the original zinc left and had painted sections every 25’. The paint required ‘stripping’, which is an acid dip, and doubled the cost. About half of the links were fused, which required re-handling the chain to break them loose with a hammer. No need to visit the gym that day.

So in hindsight, would you go that route again, or buy new?

I just put my door in the shrink-wrap.

I've got some deck to "investigate" and I promised myself I would put in air conditioning.

Everything else is just annual maintenance.

The galvanizing quality was less than I expected. We anchor whenever possible so time will tell if it was worthwhile. With the stripping cost included it was about 40% of new chain cost.

Oh lets see - new generator, new generator exhaust hose, new belts & all hoses for our two Lehman 135's (heat exchangers and oil coolers replaced by PO), new Reverso manifold for the oil change system, new plotter, new hand held VHF, 4 new auto inflatable pfds - and we are just getting started, on our new to us 30 yr old boat :angel::angel: A friend at church today asked if the boat had become a 'money pit' yet - I replied 'a boat is a money pit the day you purchase it, new or used' :banghead:

Forgot to add: stripping and varnishing the handrails (only uncovered teak on the boat), refinishing wing and salon doors on the sundeck - thankfully the teak deck and caulking are in great shape.

Last edited:
This year is a smaller than usual list. I am refinishing our teak deck on our sundeck. I am almost done reefing out the 600’ of old caulking. Then on to sanding the grooves and recaulking. Then sanding the deck and oiling it. A PO had 2 places in the deck recored. Unfortunately they did not glass over the joint around the deck fiberglass so the putty they used to fill the gap is cracking. I have to grind off the finish and grind for a couple of layers of 1708 around the repairs and then refinish the decks. I have a crack in a deck hatch frame that needs repairing and then paint the frame with 2 part poly paint. We are also going from varnish on the handrails around the sundeck to painted rails. My wife is working on getting the rails down to wood in prep for the new paint. So far this winter hasn’t been too bad as to temperature. Have not had to fire up the propane heater yet, but that will probably happen this week.

14 out of 35 completed. Some simple, like applying the Reobic drain cleaner or lubricating the zippers, some more involved, like sanding and varnishing the rails and name plates or adding a wash down on the foredeck. Some done by me, some by my electronics guy, and some by my mechanic.

How are you guys doing?

Wait, what?? We are still finishing last season’s project list!! How do we know when it becomes “next” season’s list? Or......is it not a “season” list at all but an ongoing never ending list of stuff we want to do mixed in with stuff that needs doing occasionally? :eek: :confused: :thumb:

Wait, what?? We are still finishing last season’s project list!! How do we know when it becomes “next” season’s list? Or......is it not a “season” list at all but an ongoing never ending list of stuff we want to do mixed in with stuff that needs doing occasionally? :eek: :confused: :thumb:

For us, come spring and we head to the Bahamas. Then it's cruising time and no more projects, just fix what comes up that is necessary. From then on everything else goes on a new list for next winter.

Last edited:
1. Wash Boat - in n' out.
2. Launch tow-behind.
3. Short tie tow-behind on transom.
4. Start/warm-up engines.
5. Leave dock.
6. Let tow line out further.
7. Cruise
8. Anchor
9. Swim - Visit and gunkhole in tow behind - BBQ good food - Swim - Repeat!!!

Usually about the same every year! :thumb:

Tollycraft is most carefree boat I've ever experienced in six [6] plus decades of marine doings. :speed boat::speed boat: :dance:

1. Wash Boat - in n' out.
2. Launch tow-behind.
3. Short tie tow-behind on transom.
4. Start/warm-up engines.
5. Leave dock.
6. Let tow line out further.
7. Cruise
8. Anchor
9. Swim - Visit and gunkhole in tow behind - BBQ good food - Swim - Repeat!!!

Usually about the same every year! :thumb:

Tollycraft is most carefree boat I've ever experienced in six [6] plus decades of marine doings. :speed boat::speed boat: :dance:

I hope you touched a piece of wood - and/or your head! :D

I hope you touched a piece of wood - and/or your head! :D

"O" [zero] exterior wood on our a well fiber glassed 1977 Tollycraft tri cabin; [except for four 3/4" x 2" x 36" white painted wood trims on door sides and a thin wood mast - yes, they should be painted this year... maybe will do!].

Much wood in my owm head though... do have knock dents on both sides! :dance:

I do most maintenance stuff on mechanicals/electrics/anodes and fun stuff etc while at anchor. Little bit here, little bit there! Have yard mechanics do some items... from time to time.

:speed boat::speed boat:

Just came home today after a couple days out fishing. One night on San Pablo Bay (solo w/ no night fishing) and one on Montezuma Slough with Giggitoni in his GB42. Had great wx conditions but too much grass to fish after the storms.

One half mile from our planned overnight anchorage, my port engine temp headed toward 200. I had been watching it all weekend since it was steaming more than normal, but all temps were normal. It was a regular exercise to check the temp, check the flow...check the temp, check the flow...
A check of the water flow when it spiked confirmed the worse...nothing! A quick shutdown and single engine anchoring followed.

A brief (15-20 min) look at the impeller confirmed it was fine. The next item, the oil/tranny coolers, were just replaced several months ago and since the impeller was whole, I knew it had no fragments blocking flow. Next down the line...I just finished the having a radiator shop clean the HX a few months ago but it now, apparently, it needs to come back out to get to the manifold. I knew I was living on borrowed time...it's been expected for a while.

So I came home single engine against up to 3 kts of current.

So my list only has one item...

Attachments

• DJI_0006.jpg
    DJI_0006.jpg
    146.2 KB · Views: 87
What exactly do you think the manifold issue is re water blockage?

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom