USCG Hang in there...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Slowpoke

Veteran Member
Vessel Name
In Between
A family member who is active USCG is staying positive and maintaining his sense of humor despite his lack of pay. He sent me this so I thought I would share. Not a political post, just some levity.

Attachments

• IMG_1499.JPG
    IMG_1499.JPG
    115.1 KB · Views: 115
… especially when hysteria and hissy fits are the priority.

Two of the four guys manning our lock are CG, working a second job. Early twenties. Our dockmaster is CGAux, and manages their schedules to fit. When I went through the lock on Tuesday on my way for a few days in St Augustine, I asked him about the shut down. And, yes, he is without pay. AND he just got married in December.

The local Navy Federal Credit Union is helping them, but it has to be a worry for these young guys.

Wanted to separate the posts. While I guess funny to some, I personally find that photo shopped photo offensive and an insult to guys and gals I know that are CG and CGAux.

Just me I guess. Maybe I am a sensitive soul.

When you work for the Govt, these things can happen, goes with the territory. This is not the first nor the last time that it will. When its over, it will quickly become just a ho hum memory, like the others have.

Well, rumor is they are not able to issue retirement checks on Feb1. I can live with no checks for awhile, but after being insulted by the broken promises on health care and other services and the reduction in accessible faciities, its not too funny.

On a lighter note, this retired coastie thinks the cartoon was great. We often joked about getting hand me down equiment, ships and planes from the other services ...so sponsors to keep us going seemed perfect... :)

On a lighter note, this retired coastie thinks the cartoon was great. We often joked about getting hand me down equiment, ships and planes from the other services ...so sponsors to keep us going seemed perfect... :)

Yeah? Wonder why they choose the Stratton?

Look it up.

And BTW, First Lady ever to have sponsored one.

Last edited:
OK, looked it up and guessing someone is trying to suggest that the cartoon is vessel specific versus just a random picture.

Well the jokes on them because it was funny no matter what ship was used and it REALLY doesnt matter to me as I ignore any anything deeper than the punchline.

OK, looked it up and guessing someone is trying to suggest that the cartoon is vessel specific versus just a random picture.

There are ~ 200 cutters in the USCG fleet. So a 200-1 chance to pick that one.

Your call.

Last edited:
Meh, you sign up for the government cheese you roll the dice on risk of shutdown. In 2008 when the enitre US economy was in the toilet and many Americans were unemployed the coasties were getting paid. Ebb and flow.......

Meh, you sign up for the government cheese you roll the dice on risk of shutdown. In 2008 when the enitre US economy was in the toilet and many Americans were unemployed the coasties were getting paid. Ebb and flow.......

Respectfully, this post is crap.

I have a great deal of respect for the men and women in CG. Just like any other branch of the military, they deserve to be paid on time for the work they do. In addition, they should be spending 100% of their attention on doing their jobs, not worry about how to pay their bills, due to no fault of their own.

Navy Federal Credit Union is offering no interest loans that equal approximately one, two-week paycheck, to both active duty and civilian members who currently have direct deposit of their paychecks with NFCU and are not receiving a paycheck.

With the support of a $15 million donation from USAA, Coast Guard Mutual Assistance is offering Coast Guard service members with dependents will be eligible for interest-free loans up to $1,000, while service members without dependents will be eligible for up to $750.

Jim

All of this is sad. People who are working should be paid regardless of if they are working for the government or not. Keep up the good work Coasties.

Last edited by a moderator:
All of this is sad. People who are working should be paid regardless of if they are working for the government or not. Keep up the good work Coasties.

+1 for sure.

Last edited by a moderator:
I guess it is only hysteria and a hissey fit if it is your paycheck that isn’t being paid.
It`s not the staff being hysterical and putting on a hissey fit.
(Edited, sorry, I forgot the word "not". Didn`t someone else do that too?)

Last edited:
There are ~ 200 cutters in the USCG fleet. So a 200-1 chance to pick that one.

Your call.
OK what's the REAL punchline..... because I only get the one printed....

A poke at women?

Why not just make a cartoon about that rather than bury it in a joke about funding and lose audience?

Not really...I had many reasons for signing up.

One was I had full faith in the US to make good on their promises....one of which was a guaranteed paycheck/retirement while big businesses were failing every year.

I can only hope our youth takes note of our steady deterioration and are smart enough to stop joining and defending a country run by leaders with no morals or principles.

A false equivalency. Were you as easily shrugging off the 2008 recession by saying “Meh, you cast your lot with the private sector, you accept losing you job and home” due to macroeconomic factors you had nothing to do with? Nobody signs up for this bullshit.

There’s a senate bill being proposed to stop the pay of congress with no back pay if they cannot finalize a budget on time each year. It’s purpose is to end government shutdowns, of course the politicians for the most part are 1%’ers so it probable would not have much effect. Maybe stopping the pay of congressional staff, aids, perks along with the pols might work.

Gees, lighten up folks. Its called humor with a tiny bit of truth. Anyone see a county/city bus recently? Fully wrapped in ads.

In the nuclear world we've had to put up with "The Simpsons" for 30 years!
BTW, the glow is blue, not green.:D

Still trying to find the hidden meaning in the cartoon.....anyone or everyone see it but me?

Not really...I had many reasons for signing up.

One was I had full faith in the US to make good on their promises....one of which was a guaranteed paycheck/retirement while big businesses were failing every year.

I can only hope our youth takes note of our steady deterioration and are smart enough to stop joining and defending a country run by leaders with no morals or principles.

"make good on their promises". This is nothing new. Little story for you. My late dad spent the whole of WWII in the Merchant Marine, mostly in the South Pacific and was considered to be in a Combat Zone and paid thus. After the war was over, he received a letter from Uncle stating that due to his service in a war zone for nearly 4 years, that he would be exempt from further military requirements or service. So a few yeas later Korea comes along. Guess what? He gets a draft notice! Dad popped down to the draft office in Seattle and with govt letter in hand says, "what the hell is this?". Gent behind the counter says, "letter means nothing, prepare to be drafted". Very upset at this, my dad now a family man, a tugboat business and one child already, starts to leave, when an older gal comes over and says, "lets see that letter". Reads it, tells my dad "don't worry about", I'll take care of this". He left and never heard from them again. My grandfather was so mad about this he went and cashed in all his war bonds, and when asked why, he told them. "if the govt's word is no good, these bonds aren't any good either".

Still trying to find the hidden meaning in the cartoon.....anyone or everyone see it but me?

If the government won’t fund them, commercial business will for advertising space.

That is the obvious punchline that I did get..

Posts 10 and 12 suggest something deeper.

That's the part I am not seeing.

There’s a senate bill being proposed to stop the pay of congress with no back pay if they cannot finalize a budget on time each year. It’s purpose is to end government shutdowns, of course the politicians for the most part are 1%’ers so it probable would not have much effect. Maybe stopping the pay of congressional staff, aids, perks along with the pols might work.

Now that I’m in favor of. In fact, levy fine’s. $1000 per day, per employee in Congress, at all levels. Make it personal, as it is to employees held hostage.

That is the obvious punchline that I did get..

Posts 10 and 12 suggest something deeper.

That's the part I am not seeing.
Me neither. It`s a simple cartoon showing CG replacing lost Govt funding with private sponsor funding."Deeper meanings" require drawing a very long bow.

I searched the boat name and think saw what Menzies and others were getting at. Respectfully, still think it`s coincidence.

Totally agree!

When the govt shuts down, payouts should start from the top.... and agree with having penalties in addition.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom