Channel 13 for Passing

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I have a suggestion for when you guys call the other guy on 13 to arrange a pass. If he doesn't answer because he is sitting on 16 and not monitoring 13, go ahead and use your loud hailers to get him.

You know, the ones you use to shout at other boaters who, in your opinion, are going too fast in a no or minimum wake area. :D

That would work, right?

Just assuming that everyone does or should know (one and two) despite that its not an official usage of terminology, is wrong headed. Whistle signals is one thing, that's in the Rules. Getting on the radio and assuming the guy you want to pass knows what the heck you are talking about when you say, "pass on your one, or two" is very presumptuous. He might think you need to use the head!!

Just assuming that everyone does or should know (one and two) despite that its not an official usage of terminology, is wrong headed. Whistle signals is one thing, that's in the Rules. Getting on the radio and assuming the guy you want to pass knows what the heck you are talking about when you say, "pass on your one, or two" is very presumptuous. He might think you need to use the head!!

hahahaha

Yep all the commercials around here use "whistle."

I think there is a rational and justification for that. The rules say they should use the sound device but that the radio, if agreement is reached, is an acceptable alternative. The "Whistle" usage makes it clear that they are communicating the same thing they would have with the horn. Just a little CYA for people with licenses.

As I've said elsewhere, I generally try to use whistle with commercial craft and port / starboard with recreational boats.

The 1% who have been professional trained to do this, would rather the 99% of us who have not, bend to their process - because they believe by doing so is "right".

And as more and more boaters take to the water and the 1% become even more diluted, they stand by this.

Whether or not there is a clearer, and safer, communication, is moot.

For many of them the "professional rule" outweighs the First Rule. Avoid a collision.

The part you omitted was that on average, the 1% are out on the water 200 times more than the average 99%.

Ted

Whistles can be mistaken or misinterpreted as well. Lots of collisions happened due to this over the years. Read about the two ships that collided in Halifax in WW1 that nearly took the town off the map.

The real crux of the matter is if people used CH13, they can be as confusing and as long winded as they want. Use whatever amatuerish terminology your yacht club prefers.

But doing it on CH16 is selfish to those that may need it...and someday it just might get you a violation.

Whistles can be mistaken or misinterpreted as well. Lots of collisions happened due to this over the years. Read about the two ships that collided in Halifax in WW1 that nearly took the town off the map.

Yes ....but it is still really just using the rules to a logical conclusion and in my experience much less so to cause confusion than the typical.... "did you mean my port or your port?"

Yes ....but it is still really just using the rules to a logical conclusion and in my experience much less so to cause confusion than the typical.... "did you mean my port or your port?"

Having run ferries here in Maine on and off for years it's been my experience that if you want to convey something to recreational boats it's best to call them on the VHF and have a very clear understanding before assuming anything. Whistle signals are common for commercial vessels but of little use for recreational ones, using them can result in all kinds of odd maneuvering. When I'm running a commercial fishing vessel usually nothing works, especially with sailboats.

No matter what you start or finish with, a clear understanding is supposed to happen.

I prefer to insist on what a maritime court would probably feel is appropriate versus some slang or a confusing port or starboard call.

As everyone says....so many uneducated or unskilled boaters out there that do all kinds of things...what does it matter as long as you are prepared to take evasive action?

I prefer to practice what I believe is the most clear, concise form of passing radio terminolgy, hoping that it catches on rather than proliferate confusion. Just like flying an anchor ball or steaming cone and fog signals, etc...etc.... most are long forgotten NAVRULES.

As in everything, I want to be the one who was sober. Especially when it goes to court.
Having done everything right also helps.

Just like flying an anchor ball or steaming cone and fog signals, etc...etc.... most are long forgotten NAVRULES.

I thought it would be cute to be the only sailboat in Maine flying a steaming cone when motoring with the main up. I had to stop because of the hazard created by people trying to come close enough to yell, "What's that thing up in your rigging."

I thought it would be cute to be the only sailboat in Maine flying a steaming cone when motoring with the main up. I had to stop because of the hazard created by people trying to come close enough to yell, "What's that thing up in your rigging."

Those are sailboaters from New York or New Jersey, most Mainers are smarter than that.

Oh, sitting on my fingers...

But you're not a sailboater, I assume? I must admit I also own a Cape Dory 28 sailboat, and I was born in NY.

I had 4 sailboats and I used to race.

My first liveaboard was a Cape Dory 30 Ketch...hull #5 I think. Before that CD Typhoon. Later on an ODay 23.

Last edited:
In my experience that average Searay driver who thinks it's ok to pass while he's plowing past at half throttle pulling a 4 foot wake is blind and really doesn't have a clue how to turn on his vhf let alone time to channel 13! It's a great idea though.

The whistle signal for inland (ICW) waters when overtaking is one short by the overtaking vessel passing with its port side to the overtaken vessel's starboard side, and two short by the overtaking vessel when its starboard passes on the overtaken vessel's port side.

My easy way of remembering this is 'One Short My Port'. (It also applies to meeting situations - one short = I intend to leave you on My Port.)

All these rules just confuse me, I prefer the larger vessel is always correct. :)

Per above, it is if you consider that in the case of a collision, the one who did follow the rules will be ruled least at fault in most cases by the CG.

Can be confusing for sure.

Here is how i keep the whistle signals straight:

VITAL PRINCIPLE: The signals are "self-centered", by this I mean that whoever initiates the signal is whose port or starboard is the subject.

For example, when I intend to overtake a vessel and give 2 blasts, meaning I intend to keep you to MY starboard (2 blasts = the 2 syllables in starboard). Had I sounded 1 blast I would be stating that I intend to keep you to my port (1 blast = 1 syllable in port). The same principles hold true in any encounter.

Remember the "self-centeredness" is essential.

"See you on the twos or ones" leaves me confused. Whose twos? Whose ones?

You don't say that....you JUST say.... one or two whistle pass.

And the overtaking vessel initiates, not the overtaken vessel.

No wonder there is confusion, done simply and correctly there shouldn't be ANY confusion.

Unless of course one doesn't know and understand the simple rules. There are many more confusing vehicle traffic laws and they vary from state to state.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom