Old 01-17-2019, 06:24 PM   #9
sdowney717
Guru

City: Seaford Va on Poquoson River, VA
Vessel Name: Old Glory
Vessel Model: 1970 Egg Harbor 37 extended salon model
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keysdisease View Post
Bennett does sell replacement tabs only for any model they have ever manufactured. You can contact Bennett at 954 427-1400 and get more information.

The 9" and 12" chord tabs attach to the actuator (ram) in the same place on both chord tabs, so if you want to upgrade to a 12" chord tab from a 9" and not change anything except the tab the hinge plates and actuator mountings will match up identical.

The above is for standard transom and bottom mount tabs. Bennett made and still makes many custom size tabs in a variety of configurations for various boat manufacturers, all are available as tab only.

Sure for a goodly price they will.
But they can not or wont make them like I made mine.

They dont sell the bottom mounting plate separate from the bottom mount tab, and the bottom mount tabs are different, the bent hinge is not as wide. This according to Tabman who worked for Bennett before he passed recently. He told me you can not mount a bottom mount TAB on a transom mount hinge, it may fall off. But it seems to me, there is plenty of room in the roll hinge of the bottom mount plate to take a wider hinge. A tab is only supposed to deflect down 20 degrees, more than that he said it creates more drag, and looses the benefit of the lift.

I also plan to use a 316 SS chain to chain the tab to the transom, in case the cylinder plastic pin shears, I dont want to loose all my work. I am going to drill a hole in the upright back of the tab and attach a 3/16 piece of chain and bolt other end into the transom.

In some cases, like backing down with tabs extended, people have sheared the cylinder pin and lost the tabs., its rare but why take that chance? I could also replace the Delrin plastic cylinder pin with a SS pin.
sdowney717 is offline   Reply With Quote