A City Marina Doing It Right

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

menzies

Guru
Vessel Name
SONAS
Vessel Make
Grand Alaskan 53
We are anchored right outside our neighborhood this evening as the tides are awkward for the lock tomorrow morning.

Off to St Augustine City Marina for a couple of days to resolve the post holiday blahs. We were just there mid November for the Nights of Lights (which is still going on).

Our holding tank is half full so I had a look to see what the pump out facilities were dowm there. I have to say I was pleasantly surprised. An all around well run facility.

365 days a year. Pump out for all, and a water tender every day of the year.

CityStAug | Municipal Marina Home Page

Last edited:
What a well run marina! My municipal marina is a far cry from that. Wish I lived there...

What is a city marina? It's funded by the state? We don't have any in Mass. that I'm aware of.

We just spent 2 weeks on a mooring there, it's a regular stop on our migration south. They are still finalizing hurricane damage repairs, nearly completed. There were improvements made to the park-like area at the head of the piers, it's a very well maintained facility. Pumpouts work, easy to schedule even with the pumpout boat. They even have disposal facilities for waste oil and filters, unusual for a municipal facility. Groceries are a bit far away, but not too far by bike. Lots of Uber/Lyft options there as well. Highly recommend a stop there of more than an overnight.

What is a city marina? It's funded by the state? We don't have any in Mass. that I'm aware of.

A Municipal Marina is usually run by the City. They are typically self-funded through transient slips and mooring rentals. Usually, it's just the mooring field, but occassionally a community will have a Marina as well.

Mitchell Park Marina; Greenport, NY
New London Municipal Marina; New London, Ct.
Riverhead, NY

You might not be aware it's a Municipal Marina, but they are out there.

Beautiful Marina but they lose several million dollars a year. Local taxpayers (of which I'm one) are looking for relief. The closed down waterfront restaurant next door, Was denied a permit for docks and a rebuild plan by local resident. No cost to the city and would have brought in much needed tax revenue and restored a local landmark.

A few other favorites in Florida:
City of Ft. Myers Yacht Basin
St. Petersburg Municipal Marina
Ft. Pierce City Marina

Beautiful Marina but they lose several million dollars a year. Local taxpayers (of which I'm one) are looking for relief. The closed down waterfront restaurant next door, Was denied a permit for docks and a rebuild plan by local resident. No cost to the city and would have brought in much needed tax revenue and restored a local landmark.

Is there any way of working out the true cost, not looking at just the City coffers? For example revenue to the businesses from visitors, to the pirate ship and Freedom, etc. etc?

Vero Beach is another good stop. Bus runs a circuit and is free, Publix within walking distance (walk over, Uber back), decent restaurants nearby.

It turns out that Edgartwon, Ma also has a municipal marina. We've used their moorings a couple of times.

Is there any way of working out the true cost, not looking at just the City coffers? For example revenue to the businesses from visitors, to the pirate ship and Freedom, etc. etc?

Not real sure If they account for the trickle down tourist affect.

Lots of people were surprised and mad that the Santa Maria project got denied.It would have meant a lot of additional tax money for the city. David White is the owner, he also owns O.C Whites restaurant across the street and the property where A1A Ale house is.

Is it denied completely, or just this version of the planning?

Under a normal year, the St. Augustine Marina does not lose money. Shockingly, neither does the St. Augustine Visitors Center.

Here was the marina's 2018 budget.

Revenues $2,965,105
Expenses $2,965,105

The revenues were primarily dockage at $1,142,000, diesel at $1,236,700 and gasoline at $416,640.

Expenses were primarily Operations at $2,245,583 and transfers out (to the city) of $233,610 for Administrative and $512,944 for other.

In 2017, the Marina fund (ending June 2018) had operating income of $211,066. Revenues were $2,631,582 and Expenses were $2,422,594.

I do know they were well below capacity during and after Matthew and Irma. I don't find anything that indicates they lose several million dollars a year.

I will add that the repair after Irma is quite expensive and coming from a capital program although much to be paid by FEMA. Last number I saw for that was well over $2 million total.

Last edited:
We enjoyed the St. Augustine Municipal Marina when we stayed there.

The last time (more recently) we were in town, we weren't on the boat. Folks around didn't have much good to say about the restaurant... but we didn't try it, partly because it also seemed crowded.

-Chris

Chris, the Santa Maria restaurant was indeed known by locals as a gimicky tourist trap that had been very run down for years with so-so food. But it was on the water!
It has been calling for a remodel for decades, so I don't understand why they won't let him rebuild. Though I did hear today that part of his proposal may have been a small dock set up for visiting boats. Not sure if the city had an issue with that given it is right next to the city owned marina that has hourly facilities!

Love st. Augustine municipal marina! Pump out right to you! Unfortunately my marina has so many huge boats by the pump out that it is nearly impossible to get to. It’s easier for me to go across the pond, plus I run her a bit.

There are a couple of city marina up here, some offers 2 or 3 free docking nights for free. This a way for cities to attract some tourist but space is limited as is service. Usually when it is free overnight you don't have any service beyond lavatories. Also when fees are required it is often cheaper than private marinas. I used some of them and while not a luxury place I was pretty happy for the price I paid. As an example, the Montebello city marina mid way from Ottawa to my home port cost me something like 35CAD (20 USD) a night wit power and water where the same cost me 100$CAD (80USD) at the nearby luxurious hotel Chateau Montebello with pool etc. I am fine with the city one (I know I am a cheap guy lol).

L

I echo the support for St. Augustine, Fort Pierce, and Fort Meyers marinas.

Have stayed at all of them, most recently St. Augustine and Fort Pierce. Great service, nice facilities.

South of Heaven: We have one in Beverly, MA index

I guess they're not talked about much then, I never heard about them. Thanks.

BTW, do you live in Beverly? I used to play volleyball in Lynch Park in a traveling league. Lol

St Augustine Marina

Recently spent a few days at St Augustine town Marina
Real nice stop over
Plenty too do within walking distance , fort , night life , restaurants especially Columbia House , During day typical tourist stuff
Been a long time since we had a nice evening listing too a band at a local watering whole , playing music of the sixties, drinks, walking back too boat ,
Real nice evening
Parts of the marina suffered storm damage and was under construction . I was there during July 4th 2018 , possibly by now they are completed
Dock had plenty of room with electric , fuel pricing was reasonable compared too marinas along the way ,
Marina facility was nice, showers,
Dock hands were helpful ,
Very positive stop over , Will be back

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom