First post here...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Santana

Hi everybody,

I will admit that I am here for information and help. I belong to many forums specifically in the music industry. My dad, who recently passed and my mother were avid boaters in Southern California (Marina Del Rey early on, and later Channel Islands Marina) since 1966 when they bought their first boat a 28-foot Owens which all four of us "swabs" (two brothers and my sister) lived on for about six+ months because our new house wasn't ready on time - I have very fond memories of those times... to me it wasn't roughing it was fun! In the late '70's they sold the "Scuba-do-we" and bought the "Santana" a beautiful 34-foot CHB trawler with many upgrades that was two years old at the time.

Fast forward to now. A lot has been done to the boat but it has not seen much use over the last several years, which is never good - my dad taught me the basics and I have kept up on general maintenance and upkeep but I am no expert. Because of my parents dedication to maintaining the vessel she is a looker and has been the pride of every dock she has graced. However, I am overwhelmed mainly because I am not using the Santana as it should be used. I love the boat but find it more of a chore than a love. My dad loved this boat, me and him used to do so much together on this boat, but that time has passed and I can not give the Santana the attention she is used to.

So I am requesting some honest assessment if you all would be so kind. The longer she sits the more stuff breaks - She is a good boat and has been well looked after. If my lifestyle were different I might entertain to live aboard and use her properly but this just isn't going to happen. Thanks everyone.

My name is Michael or Mike.

Hello Mike... welcome to the Forum! I'm also Mike.

Are you asking for potential value assessments for selling the Santana, or looking for help in getting yourself up to speed on properly maintaining it? Sounds like the former.

Or... something else?

Welcome Mike, I too am confused as to whether there is a question in your post and if there is maybe you can clarify. Boats certainly deteriorate quickly when not used and/or maintained.

Welcome! I also grew up boating in SoCal but on smaller boats and water: Lakes Piru, Castaic, Cachuma, the Colorado River, and on, camping and doing water sports. When we moved to the East Coast, we continued on-water family experiences on the Patuxent River. I hope you can find the help you need here to move the chore to a love, as it should be. If not, perhaps it's time to pass along the opportunity to someone who can. Best of luck!

Mike, welcome to TF from yet another Mike. Fire away with your questions, that's one of the best parts of this friendly little(?) group.

Sounds like you might enjoy using the boat but not the maintenance. That’s easy, throw money at the problem. Hire someone to take care of it for you. In my area there is no shortage of companies who will do that. Ask other boat owners and at your local marine supply store for recommendations.

Most of the guys on this forum get satisfaction from doing their own maintenance. They’re not real bright. :D

Oh yeah, Welcome Aboard!

Santana,

First of all, welcome aboard. Loved your music in the 70s! Saw you in concert in Tempe, AZ for the original Star is Born filming. You were great! :D

You've come to the right place for help. We can guide you on maintaining your boat, operating your boat or selling your boat. Pick two...

Pics help in showing us the condition.

Back
Top Bottom