Documentation No Location Question & Poll

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

What are your experiences re Doc No Location?

• Doc No is in salon, or other topside living space – never a problem

Votes: 7 12.1%
  • Doc No is below deck in eng rm etc – VSC Passed w/o issue re Doc No Loc’n

Votes: 31 53.4%
  • Doc No is below deck in eng rm etc – VSC Failed due to Doc No Loc’n

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Doc No is below deck in eng rm etc – Been boarded w/o issue re Doc No loc’n

Votes: 21 36.2%
  • Doc No is below deck in eng rm etc – Been boarded and advised to relocate Doc No

• Doc No is below deck in eng rm etc – Been boarded, issued citation for improper Doc No Loc’n

• Other - Please explain via post

Votes: 4 6.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Thanks, read through it....all in agreement with my understanding of acceptable locations.

Called and left message.

Shutdown might affect response time.

Our boat is documented, has had a VSE every year since 2011, has been boarded twice by USCG. The VSEs have been done by both USCG Aux and USPS. The USCG# is on a stringer in the engine room, visible from the pilot house by lifting one hatch. None of the inspections has resulted in non-compliance.

In 50 years on the water, I have been boarded only twice and altho asked for my papers, never looked at the actual number...

thank you for the very interesting topic and discussion.
On our prior boat, which was not documented when we purchased it but had been by the original owner, we had a wooden plaque affixed to a bulkhead (w/ 5200) in the forward cabin, so below waterline and part of "hull" but in a living space. Interestingly, no signs on the boat as to where the original owner had placed the No. Current boat, we are third owner and boat has been documented since new. No sign of a number on it anywhere. I have been procrastinating in taking care of this as was undecided on where / how to apply- and keep imagining I will stumble across the number somewhere. Anyway, thanks to Scott for the link I have now ordered the plastic number sign and will affix somewhere in the ER.

Documentation No. location never a USCG boarding problem

I had a documented vessel for 17 years, boarded three times by USCG in WA and AK, # was in E/R, no problem.
Also skippered with fleet of 10-15 GB's (depending on year), USCG boarded twice, same result.
BUT number was either decals sealed right onto the engine stringers or overhead cabin sole beams, or (in my boat) was on metal plate screwed on with phillips heads subsequently drilled out so not removable.
BoatUS quotes USCG regs as follows:
"The vessel must have the official number permanently affixed in block-type Arabic numerals of not less than 3 inches in height, preceded by the letters “NO .” on some clearly visible interior integral structural part of the vessel."
...note that no location is mentioned.

Prior to 1973 HIN numbers were not required. My boat was manufactured in 1972 and only had a manufactures plate in the main cabin. The serial number plate is located below deck on the hull. I do have a HIN number now, but it was created some years later when the boat was registered with the CG. I have been inspected by the CG and they had no comment about ether the later HIN number or the serial number plate on the hull. The only comment they had was about my boat name on the stern of the boat and they said I should make it a higher contrast paint so it is more easily readable.

Our boat is documented, has had a VSE every year since 2011, has been boarded twice by USCG. The VSEs have been done by both USCG Aux and USPS. The USCG# is on a stringer in the engine room, visible from the pilot house by lifting one hatch. None of the inspections has resulted in non-compliance.

Curious question. You know what you're doing and are in compliance. Why do you have the VSE's every year? What have you gained from having them or what have they pointed out that you didn't know?

BandB
I'm a USPS VE and do many of the same boats yr after yr.
The "no maint" items on the list are easy yr to yr... they don't change... Doc /Reg Nos, HIN, etc it's the items that time out wear out etc that I find & discuss w owners. They vary in safety severity. I have found several gas boats where blowers ran as no you could hear them but no air movement. The ducts had either add slipped off blower or dried out as no add split.
Obviously these are things that many owners do or can n check themselves but many don't.
When we cruise w others in as group I tactfully "suggest" we all have a VSC before we take off or at least at an early stop.
It keeps safety on an owners mind and provides a chance to discuss best practices, recent recalls (Kidde extinguishers) etc.
For the attentive DIY types it may not add a lot of value.

Thank you for the information, Bacchus. Looking forward to hearing Adagio's reasoning as well. I've never had an inspection but aware they can be very helpful for some. I would say even more so on inland lakes where there are more new boaters and more inexperienced boaters. Even worse before most states added required courses for new boaters.

I have been boarded 4 different times by US Coast Guard had multiple surveys both purchase and insurance.. DOC NO. Has been on hull inside settee, on bulkhead under Nav station. USCG didn't look or ask. Surveyor, asked, looked but never made a coment. Local LEO's generally asked where my state registration now were. I allowed USCGAUX to inspect once. Local LEO and USCG DID NOT ACKNOWLEDGE USCGAUX STICKER. USCGAUX asked where my spark arrestor was on my diesel eng. It was running.
No one comes aboard my boat unless they have the legal authority to do so.

Documentation

My number is on a stringer in the engine room. As I’ve been boarded and inspected by the Coast Guard and found to have “No discrepancies”, I think that answers the question.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom