sdowney717
Guru

City: Seaford Va on Poquoson River, VA
Vessel Name: Old Glory
Vessel Model: 1970 Egg Harbor 37 extended salon model
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keysdisease View Post
You got 50 years out of the original tabs? Not bad for underwater metal
Yes I did but they were going out, the hooked hinge edges of the original tabs were breaking free of the tab in places along the edge and there were holes in the tabs. Manufacturers use 304 SS for this as it is cheap SS sheet metal and easily protected with anodes if owners keep up with the maintenance.

I am all for using better materials to gain longer usefulness. If you can cut down on the exposed metals underwater, that will improve their useful life.
Newport News Shipbuilding which builds for the Navy coats underwater metals in a resin, a polyester FG on for example prop shafts , a former shipyard worker told me the smell and acetone would make him feel sick.

Here is my old tab controller from 1970 which I rebuilt, it all works good. I also have 3 old gray good working joysticks I cleaned and repaired. they can be completely taken apart. The pump was in very good shape, did not need to be taken apart. But all the relays needed repairing due to eternal rust. Most of the wires were fine.
Attached Thumbnails
20181128_095343.jpg  
sdowney717 is offline   Reply With Quote