View Single Post
Old 01-11-2019, 08:21 AM   #1
bridaus

City: Plymouth
Vessel Name: Morgan le Fay
Vessel Model: KK 42
Adventure - NYC to RI

Not sure if this will be an adventure, or a piece of cake... working on purchase of a project boat. It needs a LOT of work cosmetically, some mechanically. Single engine, diesel, fiberglass hull, early 80's. I'm up for the work, because I like adventure. I do a lot of my own work for the challenge and savings, but always willing to pay for time and expertise I don't have.

The challenge: Move it from NYC area to RI area (approx 150 nm).

Positive Factors:
  • It sea trials every year, last one in spring of 2018
  • The engine was taken care of by appearances, starts and runs.
  • A mechanic took "care" of the boat for the owner.
  • All seacocks look original, beefy, no obvious issues.
  • Bilge appears normal, not a constant pumper.
  • Seller appears easygoing on timing, which could allow for choice of weather window (though that window is likely days/few weeks, not months).
  • It's entirely possible that I'm overthinking/concerned about condition, I've seen some very rough boats that are pushed hard. Not wise, but one trip done carefully NOT pushing hard may not be such an issue.

Negatives/Concerns:
  • The batteries are too low in the bilge (IMO) but do appear to be in uncovered boxes.
  • The wiring in the boat is not safe (IMO) (battery connections lying on side of bilge, not secured.) This is correctable in a short time IMO.
  • There are some fittings that are home depot plastic in the sea water system (look to be for AC), engine ones appear to be original and in acceptable condition.
  • No survey, this is as is, boat has been not been hauled in at least 5 years. I'm good with no survey prior to sale, I have my reasons, not changing them.
  • By appearance (as a mechanically minded person, trained as an engineer) the boat was not well maintained outside of the engine. I might be pickier than most... maybe.
  • Contamination in fuel could be found if a longer trip is taken.
  • I could go on, but I'm looking at things relative to this one mission. Once it gets to RI it's on land for restoration.

Thoughts/Questions? This is an acceptable risk vs timing situation. How can I mitigate the risks?

My ideas
  • Hire a mechanic/captain to move the boat (my first choice)
  • Move the boat to a very close by yard, and have it "safety" inspected and repaired (problem is, I'm far away from it, this makes it difficult to supervise/ensure quality).
  • RE: Fuel, mobile polishing service?
  • I do not believe it is reasonable/possible to move by land, this is too large 20ft tall even with mast removed.

Given all this, my instinct is to ask for a recommendation for a mechanic/captain in the NYC/RI area with a sense of adventure to help. Book a time window, pay for expenses/repairs/time, do some checks/fixes/repairs/planning and move if safe to do so.

Will consider any and all thoughts, and then prepared to do the "most right" thing in the spectrum of things to do.

Edit: If someone knows the perfect person for this mission, recommendations appreciated as well. Someone who'd show up with their own bilge pump...
bridaus is offline   Reply With Quote