Hi! I’m new here

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

TypeRated

Hello! Brad here. Been around boats all my life, but only smaller, fresh-water stuff. Still have a Scarab 22, but am looking to upgrade to a trawler.
As a young family of 3, currently landlocked in KY, we’re considering a move to the Gulf Coast. Rather than buying another house, we’re strongly considering simplifying our “stuff” and becoming ”full-time cruisers”. Though, due to my job and the desire to keep our kid in a regular school, we would have to be reasonably static.
I really wanted a sailboat, but my sailing skill is nonexistent and space looks like it would be tight for us, so I’ve been considering and have been recommended a trawler in the 40-50ft range. Still trying to decide what fits us best. Personally, I like the layout of the Hatteras 48 LRC, though it is a bit older.
Any ideas or input would be greatly appreciated. I’ll freely admit I’m a noob.

Welcome to the forum!
Lots of information on boats available here. Very nice cruising on the Tennessee river.

Ted

Welcome aboard and hope you and the family find the ideal boat. I also had a Scarab 22, many a summers with the kids and grandkids on that boat.
Living aboard on a boat with a family your size will require a fairly large boat. It will get rather small when the weather doesn’t allow going ashore.
Best of luck!

We also considered a sailboat. We chose a trawler not because of our lack of sailing experience, but because trawlers are WAY better to live on. They are roomier, and have real windows. Sailboats are like living in a cave.
We live on a 42 GB and would feel comfortable having a small kid on it, but once they get a few years old, I could DEFINITELY see you wanting something closer to the 48ft range.

Welcome! Good luck with your move to a new lifestyle. Did you have a place in mind along the Gulf, or are you still searching? Have you narrowed it down to the state? You'll certainly want to check the availability of live aboard marinas and state regulations regarding same. What kind of work were you hoping to do?

Brad
Welcome aboard Tf - There are a lot of knowledgeable folks here willing to share.
You might take a look at Boat Search 101 in the General Discussion area - a good place to start.

Welcome aboard. The Hatteras is a great boat even given it’s age. The problem with older boats is financing and insurance. Loans and insurance are available but it may be more difficult to obtain. Especially if you have no experience in larger boats. Trawlers definitely offer more room than a sailboat of the same length and as mentioned you aren’t always below decks without a view.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom