FOUND President 42' trawler project $6,000

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mrwesson

Vessel Make
1979 Mainship 34
1986 42' President Trawler w/ twin TAMD60C turbo diesel engines. Engines are clean and in great running condition. I purchased the boat couple years ago (2017) as a project. First thing I did was service the engines as it was being used as a live aboard at the time and they were never being used. (Changed engine oil, trans oil, all filters, coolant flush, raw water impellers, racor filters, cleaned and rebuilt oil cooler heat exchangers, New belts.) Once I got the engines running in tip top shape, I ran her from St Augustine to Green Cove Springs with no issues (about 80 nautical miles). The boat has a good bit of interior/exterior work left to do, but has the potential to be a great cruiser. While the hull is in solid condition, the upper deck has some soft spots that need attention. The boat is currently in dry storage at Green Cove Springs Marina. Boat comes equipped with spare parts (Bomar port hole windows, new rub rail w/ hardware, etc).

I have no ties nor knowledge about this boat but seems like a killer deal for someone on an extreme budget or someone who needs engines(volvo Tamd60c).

01010_b7SRkDOyBPH_600x450.jpg

00g0g_9GH7GtoY3hk_600x450.jpg

00G0G_hxHNnTVbzGx_600x450.jpg

00K0K_itsAqUpvUNq_600x450.jpg

The engines alone are worth that but having had 2 project boats, it is incredible how much time and money you can put into these project boats, so for that reason I would never do it again. Nevertheless someone will buy it and hopefully extent its life.

For the project guy, looks pretty good. Not for me, I'd hire all this work done and would prob end up costing more than just getting a good condition boat. I hate projects... have more than I can do in a lifetime.

Could pull the engines use one, sell the other, give away the boat and make a profit.

In a world where a repower/replacement costs 10k...

Yes, but it has Volvo engines...

Never owned a marine diesel. Have read about poor parts support for Volvo gassers. Would you make a comment or two about their diesels? I live 45 minutes from this one. Would love to drive over and "kick it's tires".

Thanks, Friz

Looks like a "Present" 42, missing the aft hard top and radar arch. Similar to the CHB's that had the same look and I believe were out of the same mold as the CHB's.

Never owned a marine diesel. Have read about poor parts support for Volvo gassers. Would you make a comment or two about their diesels? I live 45 minutes from this one. Would love to drive over and "kick it's tires".

Thanks, Friz

I had a TAMD 60B .... Awesome engine, smooth and reliable.

An air filter for the Volvo cost $139.00
An air filter for my Perkins cost $13.00

Parts prices for the Volvo will leave you speechless.

Attachments

• 2e.gif
    2e.gif
    76.7 KB · Views: 10,193
Had Volvos in one boat, never agai. The wait on parts was excruciating. However some love them.

I had a TAMD 60B .... Awesome engine, smooth and reliable.

An air filter for the Volvo cost $139.00
An air filter for my Perkins cost $13.00

Parts prices for the Volvo will leave you speechless.

Love my Volvo gasser but agree with Boatpoker. Had to replace my transom shield on my IO and it was $7k. Shop said a Mercruiser version was $2400. And it had to ship from Sweden and took 2 months.
BD

Love my Volvo gasser but agree with Boatpoker. Had to replace my transom shield on my IO and it was $7k. Shop said a Mercruiser version was $2400. And it had to ship from Sweden and took 2 months.
BD

Thanks, Friz

Parts support is there but it'll cost you. As a perkins owner so my parts are expensive and used(no support).

That being said Volvo's are as dependable as any other diesel but like everything it'll break here and there.

The main reason Cummins is so popular and held in high regard would arguably be the parts support and cost of parts(reasonable).

This boat just jumped out at me and I search the southeast almost every day for boats and parts. Has potential to be finished, stripped for parts if you need an engine or 2, part out the engine parts, etc. The engines probably have about 250hp each and the size is inline with trawler/semi displacement boats(6cyl turbo).

My Mainship 34 had quite a bit of work needed/ongoing and sometimes I wish i'd started with a boat like this to have a blank slate. The use/restore/use restore really doesn't work all that well when its a dayboat. I pretty much avoid anything that will take her out of commission(run her alot).

The thread was also moved so I think it got left out but here's a link to the ad. https://staugustine.craigslist.org/boa/d/green-cove-springs-42-president-trawler/6788735238.html

Last edited:
It looks like one of the Ponderosa 42s that Go Vacations had in their charter fleet in the BVI in the late 80s.

Parts support is there but it'll cost you. As a perkins owner so my parts are expensive and used(no support).

That being said Volvo's are as dependable as any other diesel but like everything it'll break here and there.

The main reason Cummins is so popular and held in high regard would arguably be the parts support and cost of parts(reasonable).

This boat just jumped out at me and I search the southeast almost every day for boats and parts. Has potential to be finished, stripped for parts if you need an engine or 2, part out the engine parts, etc. The engines probably have about 250hp each and the size is inline with trawler/semi displacement boats(6cyl turbo).

My Mainship 34 had quite a bit of work needed/ongoing and sometimes I wish i'd started with a boat like this to have a blank slate. The use/restore/use restore really doesn't work all that well when its a dayboat. I pretty much avoid anything that will take her out of commission(run her alot).

The thread was also moved so I think it got left out but here's a link to the ad. https://staugustine.craigslist.org/boa/d/green-cove-springs-42-president-trawler/6788735238.html

I bought all my Perkins parts at farm equipment places ..... usually 60% less than marine. There are literally millions of those Perkins still in use on farms world wide. In Canada farm equipment gets a 30% subsidy which also helps big time. Never had an issue getting parts. I bought a full major rebuild kit from Perkins in Enland and had it in two weeks, Cam, pistons, cylinders, con rods, seals and valves .... the whole shebang for $2500 in Canadian dollarettes .... thats about $29.95 US I think :)

Last edited:
Boy, that's almost giving it away for free! And I'm sure you've all heard the old saying, "There's no such thing as a free boat!"
First off, if the engines are actually in as good shape as claimed, they's be worth more than 6k each! And if you do need parts, best have very deep pockets for Volvo parts.

If any of you have wives and have purchased a boat, you have some idea of the cost of redoing the inside of the boat, just for the esthetics your wife wants, not as a rebuilding project.
My guess is that this is a hurricane damaged boat, possibly on her second or third dreamer owner, and they have just not been able to make the dream fit the reality.

Since there are no 'full disclosure' laws when it comes to boats, this is certainly a buyer beware situation.
Sorry, I could certainly be wrong, but I've seen this sort of thing much too often over the last 5 decades+ to stand by and not speak my peace.

I have the TAMD60C engines approaching 5000 hrs.They have been extremely reliable (for me) but yes, parts are getting scarce . You could do real well parting those engines out.

Sorry, but if you are at GCSM, take a walk through the yard and you will see lots of dead dream boats. Unless you are retired you will be working on the boat on weekends.
If one project would take 2 weeks that's 14 days and that translates into almost 2 months of weekends. If they haven't raised rates that's $14.00 per day X 60 that comes to $840.00 plus tax. And you haven't bought your first boat part.
Don't mean to rain on your parade but those numbers are real or low. Want to sell those engines? You better be able to prove eng hrs and show that they PURR.
Let Bob have it and walk away.
Again sorry for the rain.

I would not own a boat with Volvo engines or Volvo anything else. Parts are VERY expensive or may not even be available. Some parts have ridiculous lead times. Calling Volvo for anything is a total waste of time. There are better choices.

User or flipper?

If you’re a user, be a decent carpenter and you can learn glass and create a pretty nice vessel.
But you’d better have a lot of time and enjoy working on a boat. I did and had a great time for 26 years ...
If you’re a flipper read above

A wire brush, some tape and couple of cans of green spray paint and I can make a pair of engines that aren't worth a penny look that good. Be very, very careful when buying a very inexpensive boat, especially a relatively cheap boat originally, these days after all the hurricanes we've had.
There are absolutely no laws concerning buyer protection, nor research areas like Carfax in the marine industry. No disclosure laws either, like for houses.

There is a saying that there is no such thing as a free boat and you can add nearly free to that, IMO. Buyer beware.

Anybody considering a project like that will probably spend more in parts and labor, than someone who bought the same boat in good condition and have the pleasure of operating it over the period that the first party is working his a$$ off.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom