DIY Fuel hose crimping tool suggestions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

TJM

Vessel Name
Harmony
Vessel Make
1982 41' President
I am redoing my fuel lines and instead of ordering custom length hoses with crimped fittings is there a DIY crimping tool out there that works well ?
I have three diesel engines, a diesel fireplace, 4 fuel filters, 1 primer pump and a 4 channel manifold so DIY may be easier depending upon the price of a good unit.

I think what you are asking for is a SWAGER and they are expensive, not practical for a few uses, at least not that I have seen.

There are Oetiker O clamps which are excellent and available in SS.. The plated steel would do a good job, just not as pretty although more widely available. Do NOT use the single ear type. They are much weaker than the twin ear type. There is a special plier needed to set them properly for $35 to $40 or thereabouts. I have seen people try to use normal pliers with the usual questionable results. Don't do that.

Tere is an end on crimper and a side crimper. I usually use the end on unit but I have both and sometimes it has been needed due to space constraints.

You just need to choose the proper size to crimp the hose. A few trials will tell you which and of course consult with whomever you purchase from.

If you really want to go nuts then look up the Re-useable hydraulic fittings and the correct hose from a hydraulic specialty shop or a large hose specialty house. You cannot just use these fittings on any hose, they are designed to work with specific hoses and vice/versa.
Practice with a few short hose lengths and some of the fittings. Use the JIC type fittings in steel including the pipe to JIC cones. I always install the female swivels on the hose, both ends and the cones in the ports.

These are excellent although overkill. Just be positive the hose is suitable for continuous diesel use as not all are. Don't know if they are A-1 rated so you will have to check. This option won't be cheap either but you can always carry a few extra feet of hose of the same type and reuse the fittings or carry a few of the fittings , new.

Re-useable fittings can be assembled with hand wrenches and some hydraulic oil although a vise will help with the holding, .

I also suggest strongly that you look up Seaboard Marine's site

www.sbmar.com

and do some reading about what he suggests for fuel systems.

If you are going to do the work go with the best info available and he/they are expert.

Last edited:
I've used Parker and Aeroquip (Eaton) blue A1 rate fuel hose with reusable, field installed fittings. Really nice stuff, and priced accordingly I expect, but I haven't compared to anything else.

Back
Top Bottom