Long time Sailor, First Time Trawler

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jeffphoto

Vessel Name
Looking to Buy 36-40' Trawler
My wife Emily and I Have been cruising and racing sailboats for the past 40 years, but now have decided to give up our foolish ways to do the Great Loop (another foolish way?). We have joined the American Great Loop Cruising Association to prepare for an 2020 rounding. We are also new Harbor Hosts for Atlantic Highlands, NJ.
So far the trawler that has my heart racing is the Kadey-Krogen 36 Manatee. If anyone has experience or even an opinion, I would be glad to hear it. Really the only obvious Q. I have is how do you handle lines without side decks?

Welcome to the forum!
Did the Great loop in 2017. It's a great trip. Manatee should work well, just check it's air draft (bridge clearance).

Ted

My wife Emily and I Have been cruising and racing sailboats for the past 40 years, but now have decided to give up our foolish ways to do the Great Loop (another foolish way?). We have joined the American Great Loop Cruising Association to prepare for an 2020 rounding. We are also new Harbor Hosts for Atlantic Highlands, NJ.
So far the trawler that has my heart racing is the Kadey-Krogen 36 Manatee. If anyone has experience or even an opinion, I would be glad to hear it. Really the only obvious Q. I have is how do you handle lines without side decks?

You'll find a lot of choices. I looked seriously at the Manatee, very roomy and seaworthy boat, (and old). Handling the ropes was one reason I passed on it. Guys seem to just drop a line down over a pole, and that works.... some of the time.

Welcome aboard. Side decks are a must have for us. But if you like the boat you can find a way to make it work.

Welcome aboard.

With no side decks another option is to use a spring line run from a midpoint cleat aft to the cockpit.

I would love to see the numbers of manatees built and how many have done the loop.

I bet that the percentage is about as high as any other model....

My perception is that people who buy them tend to be couples looking to do long term cruising.

Join the Krogen Cruisers website. All the Manatee info you need. Also MANATEE the Manatee is on their 28th Loop.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom