Mega yacht dumping trash in the Exumas, caught on camera

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Also, though these are not under way, Jet Skis should not be allowed to be operated above idle speed anywhere in the Bahamas except in certain areas close to beach rental concessions. Certainly not in a National Park.

Why?

Does anybody have access to any of the AIS tracking sites? I wonder where they are?

Is it legal for a vessel under charter to turn the AIS off if they are so equipped?

Thanks for clarifying. So, at 82 ft, the offending yacht is three feet over the (79-ft) minimum to be considered a megayacht. I did note that the asking price for used Sunseeker 82s seems to be just north of $1M—a paltry sum for something as pretentious sounding as a megayacht.

I’m surprised that something so dinky would be in the same class as the new 300 foot plus yachts: that’s what I think of when I hear “megayacht”, not something under 30 meters.

I’ve been calling around and a broker who shall remain nameless told me that Top Gun is on the MLS, so lots of companies will be able to book them. But he claims the listing agency is XXXXXXX Charters in Miami.

I called and left a message asking if they were aware of what was going on, but I haven’t heard back from them. They screen their calls so no direct contact.

Just got off the phone with them and they are horrified! Very concerned about this and they seem to be true lovers of the Bahamas as well. The broker has not yet been able to contact Top Gun to hear their side of the story, but he promises to get to the bottom of this and I believe him. From the tone of his voice this was a very big deal to them and not simply how it might affect his business, but that the whole thing was extremely offensive to them.

Last edited:
I’ve been calling around and a broker who shall remain nameless told me that Top Gun is on the MLS, so lots of companies will be able to book them. But he claims the listing agency is XXXXXXX Charters in Miami.

I called and left a message asking if they were aware of what was going on, but I haven’t heard back from them. They screen their calls so no direct contact.

Just got off the phone with them and they are horrified! Very concerned about this and they seem to be true lovers of the Bahamas as well. The broker has not yet been able to contact Top Gun to hear their side of the story, but he promises to get to the bottom of this and I believe him. From the tone of his voice this was a very big deal to them and not simply how it might affect his business, but that the whole thing was extremely offensive to them.

Well done.

Also, though these are not under way, Jet Skis should not be allowed to be operated above idle speed anywhere in the Bahamas except in certain areas close to beach rental concessions. Certainly not in a National Park.

I'm sure it's just an off the collar remark and not what you really feel because that's crazy.

Could it be that this guy called someone to pick up his trash and they dumped it?

Probably not the case but it's possible.

Might as well ban outboards and big boats then or make the whole country a no wake zone.

That would be great..:thumb:

In the meantime there is an Idle only for dingies in the park and I believe jetskies are banned, but not sure.

Something stinky in Denmark
On a boat that size they would have a trash compactor and would have loose bags of garbage.

That would be great..:thumb:

In the meantime there is an Idle only for dingies in the park and I believe jetskies are banned, but not sure.

Actually that is not true. You pass through the park both inside (Tongue) and outside (Exuma Sound) at cruise speeds with no speed limits.

On a boat that size they would have a trash compactor and would have loose bags of garbage.

If the compactor was inoperative that would explain why they were dumping their trash on shore. It would not excuse it, but would be an explanation.

You'd be amazed how few boats that size have trash compactors, especially older boats.

Actually that is not true. You pass through the park both inside (Tongue) and outside (Exuma Sound) at cruise speeds with no speed limits.

Did not say speed limit for boats, but idle for dink’s in the Park.
(This is by memory only, it has been a few years since I was there, will look up the rules and report back)

Found a few rules:

All vessels must operate at idle speed in all mooring field and anchorages.

• Jet skies are required to stay at least 300 yards off any moored or anchored vessel

Last edited:
You
Did not say speed limit for boats, but idle for dink’s in the Park.
(This is by memory only, it has been a few years since I was there, will look up the rules and report back)

Found a few rules:

• Jet skies are required to stay at least 300 yards off any moored or anchored vessel

I don't think you are aware of the park boundries. There are plenty of areas for dinghys and jet skies to go full throttle within the park. "Mooring fields and anchorages" make up a very small percentage of the park.

Last edited:

I would be happy if jet skiiers would just comply with this one.

(Although we though we did enjoy watching one ram the transom of the super yacht that deployed it one day at Big Majors :) ).

Last edited:
Uh no.
Some of these islands are uninhabited and the rule is you take nothing, you leave nothing. Nobody is paid to pick it up. You keep it on the boat until you get to a marina at the next island, then you dispose of it in garbage containers.
Guess you have never been there..
So by that logic I guess the garbage is still on the beach right? No, never been there. But the main point remains, people do stupid stuff all the time everywhere you go, no different there is it? People still do stupid stuff.

Even my old Viking has a trash compactor. Called a size 13. Works fine all the time. Inexcusable whatever their "reason".

. So by that logic I guess the garbage is still on the beach right?

It is not a “logic”, but the rules. :ermm:

I don't think you are aware of the park boundries.

I know the boundaries. Looked up and Posted the rules ‘cause I was unsure if I remembered them correctly.
Still wish jetskies was banned from the park, no such luck.

I know the boundaries. Looked up and Posted the rules ‘cause I was unsure if I remembered them correctly.
Still wish jetskies was banned from the park, no such luck.

I can guarantee you that the following coordinates are examples well within the park and that all vessels can move at whatever speed they want here.

N24.26.069 W76.39.488

N24.26.013 W76.39.509

I can guarantee you that the following coordinates are examples well within the park and that all vessels can move at whatever speed they want here.

N24.26.069 W76.39.488

N24.26.013 W76.39.509

No doubt, no idea why you want to argue the point? :confused:

no idea why you want to argue the point? :confused:

For the record I was pointing out that the following statement was false and anyone transiting the area need not slow to idle. You then decided to argue the point I was making.

LN-RTP said:

Menzies said:

I was talking about dingies and idle speeds, not big boats. Anyway I checked thr rules and noticed I was wrong and posted the rules above to clear up any misinformation:

interesting rule. Basically, you would have to launch your jet ski while either adrift or underway. :lol:

Some of this issue goes back to the provision of inshore facilities for disposal. The authorities are better able to complain or prosecute if they do their bit to provide for onshore disposal. Similar to setting an NDZ without providing pumpout facilities.
In our cruising grounds there used be a garbage barge provided in a popular bay and private mooring field. It was removed, some boaters messed up the facility, but that might have been due to insufficient collection & clearing by National Parks. Whatever happened, it`s not there anymore, and it`s missed.

Some of this issue goes back to the provision of inshore facilities for disposal. The authorities are better able to complain or prosecute if they do their bit to provide for onshore disposal. Similar to setting an NDZ without providing pumpout facilities.
In our cruising grounds there used be a garbage barge provided in a popular bay and private mooring field. It was removed, some boaters messed up the facility, but that might have been due to insufficient collection & clearing by National Parks. Whatever happened, it`s not there anymore, and it`s missed.

Well now, we've going going there regularly since 2002 and we have never had an issue finding where to dispose of our trash. Yes we pay, but have found facilities at every marina or public dock.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom