The Burgee...It Is Alive.....

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
IMO (which is worth what you paid for it), the border trim is to wide. Making it half the width would increase the background area, giving the logo better separation from the border.

Ted

I agree....and thanks for all the work you have put Into this.

What Don said..we are scratching our heads at the price difference on what we are told are similar if not exactly the same products. We shall see.

The comments are going much like I thought they would...my reaction to the burgee was the same. The border was too wide. Didn't like it that much at first. After a couple of days it grew on me to the point where I now like it just fine. I did contact the company and asked about doing it thinner and was told that due to the way they sew them they cannot decrease the width. I do not understand that at all but have asked twice with same response. If we increased the overall size then the proportion would be better but that would be a larger burgee.

On the size, Don and I agreed that maybe we should look at going to 14X21. Looking at it in hand it did seem sort of small. However, when I hoisted it up it seemed that the 12x18 was very appropriate for my 42' boat. Didn't look real small and not too big. Just about right. So, I am ok with the 12X18. Of course YMMV and I will be happy with whatever and which ever the group decides!!
I also wonder about the size...too small? This website suggests it suits a 30' power boat.
http://www.beaverflags.com/burgee-sizes/

I also wonder about the size...too small? This website suggests it suits a 30' power boat.
Burgee Sizes

Yes we are discussing the size. That website also suggests that my 42' boat should have a 20" X 30" burgee. That would be a very large burgee to fly on my mast. More appropriate for a US flag maybe but a burgee that size? I thought the same about the size but when I ran it up on the boat it looked about right.

Last edited:
Yes we are discussing the size. That website also suggests that my 42' boat should have a 20" X 30" burgee. That would be a very large burgee to fly on my mast. More appropriate for a US flag maybe but a burgee that size? I thought the same about the size but when I ran it up on the boat it looked about right.

Mast? Do you have a blowboat?

Etiquette
Yacht clubs and their members may fly their club's burgee while under way and at anchor, day or night. Sailing vessels may fly the burgee either from the main masthead or from a halyard under the lowermost starboard spreader. Most all powerboats (i.e., those lacking any mast or having a single mast) fly the burgee off a short staff at the bow; two-masted power vessels fly the burgee at the foremast.

Last edited:
Mast? Do you have a blowboat?

Etiquette
Yacht clubs and their members may fly their club's burgee while under way and at anchor, day or night. Sailing vessels may fly the burgee either from the main masthead or from a halyard under the lowermost starboard spreader. Most all powerboats (i.e., those lacking any mast or having a single mast) fly the burgee off a short staff at the bow; two-masted power vessels fly the burgee at the foremast.

Well if we are getting all official.... TF isn't a Yacht Club! I'm flying mine off the starboard spreader on my single mast. Which I have. On my non-"blowboat" trawler. :) If I get arrested RTF has promised to come bail me out.

Last edited:
I would find a bow-mounted burgee immensely helpful in our area just to know wind direction (Greenwell Point's local name is "windy point"). Flying it off a "short staff at the bow" sounds perfect.

I would find a bow-mounted burgee immensely helpful in our area just to know wind direction (Greenwell Point's local name is "windy point"). Flying it off a "short staff at the bow" sounds perfect.

I already have one up there and it is useful at times.

Just reporting in....
I'm checking mail / packages every day but so far the second sample burger has not arrived.
I WILL report in w pics as soon as it arrives.

Just reporting in....
I'm checking mail / packages every day but so far the second sample burger has not arrived.
I WILL report in w pics as soon as it arrives.

Thanks Don. Maybe we should put on a "Know Your Burgee" seminar at Trawlerfest? Yeah, maybe not.

You mean there are rule to flying a burgee we bought ourselves? Kind of like the anchor police on these forums? What have I gotten myself into? More varnish for various masts. Damn.

All kidding aside, I enjoy the decorum of "yachting". Coming from a lifetime of "blow boat" sailing/racing and the Yacht Club environment I enjoy the formality. So few things these days have much by way of decorum, formality and tradition. However, only one burgee can be flown on the bow as far as I know. If I want two I have to get inventive. As you can see, there is no way to make formality and tradition seem silly, right?

Attachments

• 2015LaborDayRaceComm700x349.jpg
    2015LaborDayRaceComm700x349.jpg
    49.5 KB · Views: 45
I like the burgee idea but I won't wear a pink shorty, no way lol

L

I like the burgee idea but I won't wear a pink shorty, no way lol

L
How about maroon shorts w gold trim paired with a maroon shirt w gold TF anchor logo?

How wide will the trim be?

How about maroon shorts w gold trim paired with a maroon shirt w gold TF anchor logo?

Don, I was going to say that if you would wear that on your boat for a day we will all chip in and pay YOU $75. However, I remember your boat naming ceremony pics. There isn't much you won't wear... so no promise of $75.

Don, I was going to say that if you would wear that on your boat for a day we will all chip in and pay YOU $75. However, I remember your boat naming ceremony pics. There isn't much you won't wear... so no promise of $75.
That gets me thinking...
How about a maroon & gold toga?
Maybe w a logo??

All kidding aside, I enjoy the decorum of "yachting". Coming from a lifetime of "blow boat" sailing/racing and the Yacht Club environment I enjoy the formality. So few things these days have much by way of decorum, formality and tradition. However, only one burgee can be flown on the bow as far as I know. If I want two I have to get inventive. As you can see, there is no way to make formality and tradition seem silly, right?

I like the idea of pink windsocks in lieu of a burgee. I call for a revote!! :hide:

Attachments

• Dirty Pulpit.jpg
    Dirty Pulpit.jpg
    117.5 KB · Views: 42
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom