Adding Mast and Sails to Trawler

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
"Very nice, I admit I have a weakness for pilothouse motorsailers."

Count me in on that one. :thumb:

Adding mast and sail to a trawler

I am new here. I had a 48 foot blue sea cruiser and have been two times around the World. Love sailing with sails. 3 years ago I fell in love with a NORDHAVN 46, 24 ton, that was damaged after a Typhoon in the Philippines. Since then we sold thew cruiser and I have rebuild the Nordhavn and added a 11 meter mast on the fore-deck with furling genoa and main and the small missen. All together we have 64 square meters of sail. It sails fine as a motorsailer. In 12 knots upwind it add two knots in speed, when the sails is up. That is together with Wing engine, a Yanmar 3GM30. We will continue sailing Ocean Cruising and this is the way to do it for us. We will add a big Genakker for downwind.

Who needs a mast and I can’t say it’s a trawler but... At first we didn’t know what we were looking at as we were leaving St. Maartin. By the time I got the camera out, she had out distanced her self from us. The kite was on a power cat of about ~40'? Aren’t some commercial vessels experimenting with something similar? Looked like a lot of power down wind.

It was an Omega kite on a Lagoon 43 power cat. They still make them and we're thinking of one for get-home ability mostly. The boat was for sale not long ago as well.

hmmmmm

I believe an Ice maker would pay for itself......lololol

Janaconda, would really like to see some photos of your boat and rig.

Kite sail

I'm researching this for MY Monara, 90 tons, 60 foot, in order to increase the range during crossings.

With twin Gardner 6L3 engines, we consume 20 litres per hour at 7 knots. Our range is 1500 nm. If only we could add 500nm in a weeks sailing ...

Jan,

you may want to know thatfrom the laws of physics, due to liquid friction the power (fuel consumption) in a displacement-hull vessel increases approximately with the cube of the velocity. This power relation does not apply without change to a planing vessel at planing speed due to the decrease in wet surface when planing.

That means that if the new velocity is 26% greater, the fuel consumption will be he cube of 1.26 greater or approximately twice as much fuel as the slower speed. By the same token, that also means that if you were to travel at a speed of 7 knots/1.26 or 5.5 knot, you would double the range of your vessel to 3000 miles! Keep this rule of thumb in mind when passage making.

Jan,

you may want to know thatfrom the laws of physics, due to liquid friction the power (fuel consumption) in a displacement-hull vessel increases approximately with the cube of the velocity. This power relation does not apply without change to a planing vessel at planing speed due to the decrease in wet surface when planing.

That means that if the new velocity is 26% greater, the fuel consumption will be he cube of 1.26 greater or approximately twice as much fuel as the slower speed. By the same token, that also means that if you were to travel at a speed of 7 knots/1.26 or 5.5 knot, you would double the range of your vessel to 3000 miles! Keep this rule of thumb in mind when passage making.

I'll bear that in mind. Am installing fuel flow meters to monitor the consumption closely.

So, if there was a way to install a large front sail or two. When there was wind power, open and decreased the throttle so a vessel continue at 7-8 knots. There could be a fuel saving formula here. Now a saleboat engineer could know that answer.
Best

IMG_1863.jpgIMG_1864.jpgIMG_1865.jpg

Saw this beauty in Nassau last week, twin headsails and some sort of combo main/steady sail. Big boat, maybe 70’. Full displacement hull. In immaculate condition.

I am new here. I had a 48 foot blue sea cruiser and have been two times around the World. Love sailing with sails. 3 years ago I fell in love with a NORDHAVN 46, 24 ton, that was damaged after a Typhoon in the Philippines. Since then we sold thew cruiser and I have rebuild the Nordhavn and added a 11 meter mast on the fore-deck with furling genoa and main and the small missen. All together we have 64 square meters of sail. It sails fine as a motorsailer. In 12 knots upwind it add two knots in speed, when the sails is up. That is together with Wing engine, a Yanmar 3GM30. We will continue sailing Ocean Cruising and this is the way to do it for us. We will add a big Genakker for downwind.

Great! It was one of my plan instead of paravanes and fish for stability etc..
Add a mast, why not a bipod mast to avoid install a compression post. But some riggers told me we should be obliged to modify the hull, add a ballast etc..
What about stability with your Nordy 46 and sails up and heel?

Great! It was one of my plan instead of paravanes and fish for stability etc..
Add a mast, why not a bipod mast to avoid install a compression post. But some riggers told me we should be obliged to modify the hull, add a ballast etc..
What about stability with your Nordy 46 and sails up and heel?

My thoughts exactly, I have seen this on a sailing commercial fishing boat in NZ. There's no reason it wouldn't work for this application although sailboat folks may give you silly looks. I'm thinking of it because I don't have a good place to step a mast without blocking something. I was doodling an A frame to clear the cabin and antennas then a single mast the rest of the way with spreaders and double stays so I don't need a backstay. I'm probably going to start by just hanging a hank on jib to the forestay and see what happens.

No problem. We were a bit nervous about the heeling, but it is very stable. We added about 700 pounds of lead as ballast. We will not use the para vanes, not necessary and a pain to rig. Only maybe on a very rolling anchorage.
Jan

Back
Top Bottom