Cheoy Lee 55 Prop size

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Martin J

Guru
Vessel Name
Artemis
Vessel Make
Cheoy Lee 67
Hi Guys
Just recently acquired a Cheoy Lee 55 with the aft cockpit extension fetching it up to 67ft OA. Undergoing a major refit at the moment. I was wondering about prop sizes etc. Curious if we have any Cheoy lee 55/61 owners out there who have there performance figures handy and would share.
I have the Cat 3208na's with 2.96 reduction and swinging 23x32 4 blade props.

Sea trial figures
Idle 670rpm 2.2 Kts
1300 7.8kts
2800 10kts
The trials were in the river so some tide may have been evident. Approx 2kts favoured? Bottom clean, stabilizers off (defunct). The engines have only 250hrs since MOH. Purring nicely!

I would have expected it to achieve 8kts around 1800 RPM (good fuel burn)
A displacement speed of 10.3ts and a max of around 14 @ wot/max fuel burn.
To my mind the dia is to small and pitch to great. I have some 8-10ins estimated of tip / hull clearance. I looked at the problem with vic-prop. It comes out as a 28x24 prop. I do have spare props that I will dig out and check when I'm next on the boat in April and check there dimensions etc.

Anyway would appreciate any info from Similar Cheoy 55/61 Lee owners on there performance etc.

Have you tried contacting Cheoy Lee? Six or seven years ago I was able to obtain a lot of information from them regarding my 1976 40LRC. The email address I used was yachts@cheoylee.com, the person I corresponded with was Jonathan Cannon. My props, on a 40 foot Cheoy Lee, are three blade 24 x 15.5, power is 120hp Ford 2715e.

Yes I've already emailed Jon and awaiting his reply. I also have a contact within Michigan wheel who has previously been exceptionally helpful.
Just trying to get a "feel" of whereabouts the prop sizes should be. I feel the current props are no where near.

I agree, too little dia and pitch is who knows what. With a 3:1 gear you need some more diameter. Find out what your spares are and report back.

Back
Top Bottom