View Single Post
Old 01-02-2019, 06:57 PM   #37
JLD
Guru

City: Delaware
Quote:
Originally Posted by markpierce View Post
In previous shutdowns, both people who worked or did not work got back pay. I was an "essential" employee. Essential employees who had previously-approved vacation still went on vacation but got their vacation days back.
There is, however, no guarantee of back pay for furloughed employees. In the past, they have received back pay because Congress had approved it. Technically, during the shutdown all leave was cancelled. From the OPM (Office of Personnel Management) website: "All paid time off during a shutdown furlough period must be canceled because the requirement to furlough supersedes leave and other paid time off rights. The Antideficiency Act (31 U.S.C. 1341 et seq.) does not allow authorization of any expenditure or obligation before an appropriation is made, unless authorized by law. Paid time off creates a debt to the Government that is not authorized by the Act. Therefore, agencies are instructed that during a shutdown furlough, all paid time off must be canceled."

Shutdowns are not the way to run a government. They do a disservice to both the employees affected, as well as the general public. This is my 12th shutdown (and 10th time furloughed) in my 35 years of public service. I love my job and would rather be a work as I believe that my work has value. If I didn't, I would have retired three years ago.

Jim