The Burgee...It Is Alive.....

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.

firstbase

Guru
Vessel Name
Black Eyed Susan
Vessel Make
Grand Banks 42' Classic
We have a sample real life burgee, see pics. Everyone pretty much knows what a 12X18 burgee looks like but I post the flying pics anyway. Sorry, best I could do as no wind.

This is the "high end" hand sewn, applique, 12"X 18", $75 version discussed in an earlier thread. Bacchus is trying to get a sample from at least one other vendor who is lower cost, but not sure if they will go along with the plan. Will leave out any comments from us and see what members have to say.

Attachments

• IMG_0919.jpg
    IMG_0919.jpg
    187.8 KB · Views: 92
  • IMG_0916.jpg
    IMG_0916.jpg
    172.7 KB · Views: 90
  • IMG_0917.jpg
    IMG_0917.jpg
    188.8 KB · Views: 93
  • IMG_0920.jpg
    IMG_0920.jpg
    194.9 KB · Views: 95
  • IMG_0921.jpg
    IMG_0921.jpg
    190.6 KB · Views: 96
  • IMG_0918.jpg
    IMG_0918.jpg
    185.3 KB · Views: 102
  • IMG_0930A.jpg
    IMG_0930A.jpg
    117.7 KB · Views: 100
  • IMG_0947A.jpg
    IMG_0947A.jpg
    119.9 KB · Views: 92
Looks good to me. Thanks for doing this.

Looks great - thank you for your work!

IMO (which is worth what you paid for it), the border trim is to wide. Making it half the width would increase the background area, giving the logo better separation from the border.

Ted

Looks great. This shape fails at tip due to snapping in wind. Suggest corner reinforcement at tip so border holds to bass fabric .

Great, except for the choice of anchor!

Looks fine to me, but I’m def not a burgee expert. Remind me how much it costs again?

IMO (which is worth what you paid for it), the border trim is to wide. Making it half the width would increase the background area, giving the logo better separation from the border.

Ted

Ted, could not have said it better myself...........:thumb:

I agree, too much border ! otherwise looks good. my .02 CAD f

Ted

My first and last impression also. Reducing the width of the yellow border will improve the overall balance.

Edit: thanks for a mostly thankless job!

Looks terrific. However, I also agree that border could be a bit narrower and tip a bit better reinforced.

Awesome! I agree with the border. When can we start to order?

Looks great. This shape fails at tip due to snapping in wind. Suggest corner reinforcement at tip so border holds to bass fabric .

It is very well sewn but we could certainly ask for more reinforcement if needed. I purchased this one as I just wanted to see one in real life. We can change as needed. Then I'm stuck with the original but you gotta pay to play!

Last edited:
Looks fine to me, but I’m def not a burgee expert. Remind me how much it costs again?

This one, the high end or high priced one, is $75 as long as we meet the minimum. Not a problem with that as it was 25 flags I believe. Bacchus is still working on another example that is less expensive, $35 I believe? The vendor says that one will be much the same quality. We are waiting to see if that's true. Just not sure if we can get an actual sample to look at.

Last edited:
Ted, could not have said it better myself...........:thumb:

As I mentioned, the illustrious burgee committee has some comments but holding them back for now. I will say this is one thing we discussed. More on that later.

Last edited:
Unfortunately Ted is correct once again but I would buy either. Thanks for all who put forth the effort to get it done.

Concur with the general sentiment regarding the outside hem, look’s a bit too wide. But some fine work just the same, especially the grommet area, 7 layer’s?

Confirming what first base reported. I am expecting to receive a sample TF burger any day now. With a lower price... likely under $30 + shipping.
I'll post pics as soon as I get it.
We have had to try several mfgrs to get what we wanted so it has taken a little more time than expected... hopefully worth the time & effort.
Stay tuned

Oh Joy! About to Pee my pants, think its time for another Burgee survey, LOL!!!

Confirming what first base reported. I am expecting to receive a sample TF burger any day now. With a lower price... likely under $30 + shipping.
I'll post pics as soon as I get it.
We have had to try several mfgrs to get what we wanted so it has taken a little more time than expected... hopefully worth the time & effort.
Stay tuned

What Don said..we are scratching our heads at the price difference on what we are told are similar if not exactly the same products. We shall see.

The comments are going much like I thought they would...my reaction to the burgee was the same. The border was too wide. Didn't like it that much at first. After a couple of days it grew on me to the point where I now like it just fine. I did contact the company and asked about doing it thinner and was told that due to the way they sew them they cannot decrease the width. I do not understand that at all but have asked twice with same response. If we increased the overall size then the proportion would be better but that would be a larger burgee.

On the size, Don and I agreed that maybe we should look at going to 14X21. Looking at it in hand it did seem sort of small. However, when I hoisted it up it seemed that the 12x18 was very appropriate for my 42' boat. Didn't look real small and not too big. Just about right. So, I am ok with the 12X18. Of course YMMV and I will be happy with whatever and which ever the group decides!!

Last edited:
The vendor of the burgee shown emailed me and is willing to do them at $65.00 a piece with a 65 piece minimum.

I’d be interested to find out the difference between the $75.00 vs the $35.00. If it is just profit or a real difference in quality (longevity).

$75 is hard for me to justify. $35 would probably result in an order from me.

I'm not going to get into the "border wars." I'm sure it'll look fine, whatever you all come up with. Really appreciate all the effort that's gone into this!!

I’m in regardless. It looks great.

I’d be interested to find out the difference between the $75.00 vs the $35.00. If it is just profit or a real difference in quality (longevity).

Yep! That’s what has us going on the Mission to find out. I told the vendor I am dealing with about the other pricing and he said that he would buy one just to see where they saved the money. Don, Wayfarer and I want to see as well. Personally I think Don hooked into a friend of a friend and got an excellent deal on a similar if not exactly the same product. But we will see.

At $35 a piece, I will buy 2. Even if slightly inferior quality, should last longer.

I'm in for two either way. The $65 one looks pretty nice. I agree with what others have said about the border being a bit wide, but I still like it just fine. Looking forward to seeing what the other version looks like.

I prefer a better quality. I won’t have to change it as often. Penny wise pound foolish comes to mind. I like the the design.

Don't bother with the critics. Let me know where to send my money.

Bill
Double-Wide

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom