Princess Louisa Inlet in Feb 2019??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Spinner

Guru
Hello, are there any PNW members who might be interested in a cruise to Princess Louisa Inlet during this coming February? I am looking for a few buddy boats for this upcoming winter cruise.

My tentative plan is to leave from Seattle Feb 3 or 4, and return to Seattle no later than Feb 25. My planned cruising speed is about 8 knots. Probably will spend two nights in PL, depending on weather and conditions.

Interested? Please send PM.

Maybe some of the locals living in Pender Harbour, Gibson's, Powell River will comment on willawa winds in that area in the winter. We've been blown out of the Harmony Islands twice, near the entrance to that fiord.

Hi Ken, yes I am aware of those winds! I am trying to leave ample time to be able to pick my weather windows. I know a few folks who have made winter trips to PL who told me about those winds!

I hear it is beautiful there in the winter.

Yes! My brother took his 28 foot sailboat there in late March in 2016, and I have wanted to make that winter trip ever since :)

A few years ago I got a little too confident and got my clock cleaned just off Jones Island in 45 knot North winds and the goodies that come with. Princess Louisa sounds more summer fun to me now. Actually I still don’t mind doing winter trips, but the whole hafta get home thing is to be avoided entirely in the winter, which is not congruent with my work schedule.

Some of the winter pictures I’ve seen over the years from a light snow in Princess Louisa are to die for!

Yes, I agree about schedules being an issue, which is why allowing three weeks seems to me to leave a lot of leeway.... my only issue on getting home by Feb 25 is my wish to be home for my grandson’s 4th Birthday!

I will fly or take a ferry home if need be...

There are a group of folks that travel to PL Christmas Week

Watch the temperatures in BC's interior. If there's a cold snap in place, there will be cold air avalanching down to the ocean (katabatic winds) through all the inlets which cut into the coast mountains on the mainland.

If one of these events is winding down, a moist Pacific system can ride over top of it...the result can be huge dumps of snow!

Thanks for sending the details!

I actually am hoping for snow, but at this point, I don’t have a buddy boat do don’t know if I can go. I generally do boat solo (no other boats, nobody else on board), but for this trip I feel it would be better to go with at least one other boat. Sigh ....

Some long time boating friends are heading up that way in 4 days. I’m very jealous. If I didn’t have to work, I’d love to join you. Unfortunately, I have to work to pay for the boat which I can’t use very much because I’m working. :-(

If you haven't already, you might join the Nordic Tug owners' association. https://panntoa.com You could post there and see if there are any other Tuggers who might want join you. This is a good group with an annual gathering in early June in Anacortes this coming year.

You likely already know that there are not very many good weather anchorages in Jervis Inlet as you head up to PL. Those katabatic winds are not to be ignored. In the winter, in our long BC inlets, those winds can bring icing to your vessel along with nasty seas. Just be aware and take the appropriate action before getting in trouble. I definitely would not do this trip without at least one other vessel. Yes, that can be a pain but not as big a pain as experiencing even minor trouble without help at that time of year.

Yep, I have been up to PL a number of times (not in winter), so I know Jervis Inlet is devoid of anchorages. I would plan on waiting at Egmont for favorable conditions, and ditto at PL. Those downslope winds that you describe have been experienced by all of the people that I have talked to who have done that winter trip. You point out exactly why I am looking for a buddy boat!

Maybe March?

Going into PL inlet has been one of my punch-list destinations for awhile. I can't go in February but perhaps could join in March if you can't find any other boats to go along in February?

I'm in Edmonds in a Nordic Tug 32.

Hello! I am flexible, March would work if I can’t find a buddy boat for February. Let’s keep that as an option, ok?

Thanks!

Last edited:
I went last year in August and it was one of the best trips I've ever done. I would definitely like to try going off-season as it would be wonderful to have a bit less folks there, and I love winter cruising in general. Definitely sounds like a trip that requires a bit more planning and buddy boats this time of year.

It is looking like a March trip rather than February ....

I too have only visited PL in summer, and I love it. It’s one of my favorite destinations!

Are you interested in a trip in March?

It is looking like a March trip rather than February ....

I too have only visited PL in summer, and I love it. It’s one of my favorite destinations!

Are you interested in a trip in March?

I might be, although I am still waiting on Coast Guard documentation after having purchased my new-to-me boat 3 months ago, and with the shutdown that is being delayed even further, so I am pretty sure crossing the border is out of the question simply because of paperwork.

I just ran the numbers from Seattle-PLI-Seattle and it is definitely a long trip for this time of year and weather!

It always takes months to get CG documentation completed, regardless of
Shutdowns. I recall just having a copy of my completed application, on more than boat. It wasn’t an issue.

Go Steve go! It will give you 3 months worth of material to write about.

Haha! I already went last year, and had plenty to write about. This year, I am planning a longer journey since I was the only (slow) sailboat that went last year.

We're looking to hit PLI and bunches of places up into Desolation Sound.

Plus, in terms of writing, I have a bunch of things already queued up and under research - I don't need too many new things!

It always takes months to get CG documentation completed, regardless of
Shutdowns. I recall just having a copy of my completed application, on more than boat. It wasn’t an issue.

That's good to know. I know it was taking about 3-4 months prior to the shutdown, but they're saying a lot longer now!

You may have a solution or already know this but communications in Princess Louisa (for weather updates) was almost non existent for me. The same for about half the Jervis Inlet.

I left PL late April and out in Jervis the weather was OK and then I proceeded to get my butt kicked, in what I thought would be protected water, inside Texada island, on the way to Powell River.
With the wrong winds that "protected" water can get nasty.

No problem! I have an Inreach, works perfectly well in Princess Louisa!

The first year I had the device, I was able to help
some fellow boaters (in PL) communicate with one of their party who had developed engine trouble while enroute.

Same here, I have an inReach and also satellite weather connection. Between those two, I was able to keep in communication for critical things via the inReach, and keep an eye on the weather via satellite downloads. Unfortunately, our timing was still bad and crossing the Strait of Georgia turned into a not so pleasant day, but that happens....

No problem! I have an Inreach, works perfectly well in Princess Louisa!

The first year I had the device, I was able to help
some fellow boaters (in PL) communicate with one of their party who had developed engine trouble while enroute.

Sue, Iridium sat phones will also connect in Princess Louisa. No problem with ours when we were there.:thumb:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom