Speed Seal O ring

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

meridian

Guru
Vessel Name
Meridian
Vessel Make
Krogen-42
With Speed Seal out of business does anyone know the O ring size for replacement?

With Speed Seal out of business does anyone know the O ring size for replacement?
As I have Speed Seals, I wonder the same. I have only one spare o-ring left. But, why not use the paper gasket that comes with each new impeller. Use the four knurled nuts plus two standard screws to secure the cover. I haven't done this yet but I see no reason why this would not work. The cover mating surfaces are identical.

Would not the size be dependent on what pump that the plate was made for? I would think there would be many different sizes?

I would suggest sending a used (in decent condition) Speed Seal o ring to a seal supplier to see if they can match it. I have had fantastic success doing that here in BC. Often the o ring the seal company supplies is way, way less expensive than getting them from the OEM. The local one here in the Vancouver, BC area is "Grizzly Supply".
I would definitely agree with Russell that there would be different seals for different pumps!
Regards,
Tom

I would suggest sending a used (in decent condition) Speed Seal o ring to a seal supplier to see if they can match it. I have had fantastic success doing that here in BC. Often the o ring the seal company supplies is way, way less expensive than getting them from the OEM. The local one here in the Vancouver, BC area is "Grizzly Supply".
I would definitely agree with Russell that there would be different seals for different pumps!
Regards,
Tom
I agree that there are different seals/gaskets/o-rings for different pumps, of course. What I was trying to say was, instead of using the o-ring, simply use the paper gasket that comes with every pump-specific impeller. Johnson pump, Johnson gasket. Jabsco pump, Jabsco gasket. The footprint of the OEM cover and the Speed Seal covers are identical.

Pull the cover off and measure the inside and outside dimensions of the groove or carry the old o ring to any bearing house or even Lowe’s or Home Depot for new one. If you don’t have any dial calipers maybe buy a cheap set . They are very handy on a boat .

I use my digital calipers regularly. They are very handy. I don’t think you can use the regular gasket that comes with the impeller on a Speedseal cover. Really disappointing that they didn’t sell the company so that we could keep getting parts for them. I think that the circumference will be different for each specigic pump even if the diameter of the O ring is the same for all pumps.

I use my digital calipers regularly. They are very handy. I don’t think you can use the regular gasket that comes with the impeller on a Speedseal cover. Really disappointing that they didn’t sell the company so that we could keep getting parts for them. I think that the circumference will be different for each specigic pump even if the diameter of the O ring is the same for all pumps.
I admit to not having tested my supposition but I just can't imagine the paper gasket not working. The mating surface on the pump is a given. The Speed Seal cover mates with that surface. It relies on an o-ring that squashes against the pump surface. The paper gasket would simply span the very narrow width and very shallow depth of that o-ring recess. Certainly, it is worth a try.

One of the major attributes to a Speedseal is not having to use the paper gaskets and having to clean off the mating surfaces each time you change the impeller. On one of my engines you can’t even see the water pump so I have to pretty much work by feel.

One of the major attributes to a Speedseal is not having to use the paper gaskets and having to clean off the mating surfaces each time you change the impeller. On one of my engines you can’t even see the water pump so I have to pretty much work by feel.
Yes, indeed, but Speed Seal is no longer in business so o-rings don't seem readily available from another source. I changed an impeller recently and the o-ring wouldn't seal. I used one of my two spares. I see paper gaskets in my future. My pumps are readily accessible, one more than the other but still not bad.

I am sure that you can find a replacement O ring somewhere. I doubt that Speedseal had some really strange O ring made for them.

Wriason Seals Vancouver.
Hi XS Bank,
Wraison has been sold or gone out of business. The new company is Grizzly Supplies. Same phone number as Wraison, but they are located in Surrey.
I just bought some o rings from them. Sent them samples of each, and they matched them perfectly. One o ring (from the OEM) would (did) cost $75 and Grizzly supplied them for $4.99 each. :D

Can't imagine it is such an odd o-ring that replacements can't be found.

I was going to get other o-rings online but was wary of sizing, a trip to the local hydraulics shop fixed that worry in about 30 seconds.

Last edited:
Can't imagine it is such an odd o-ring that replacements can't be found.

I was going to get other o-rings online but was wary of sizing, a trip to the local hydraulics shop fixed that worry in about 30 seconds.

Our local guy can custom make an O-ring for $2-3

Hi XS Bank,
Wraison has been sold or gone out of business. The new company is Grizzly Supplies. Same phone number as Wraison, but they are located in Surrey.
I just bought some o rings from them. Sent them samples of each, and they matched them perfectly. One o ring (from the OEM) would (did) cost $75 and Grizzly supplied them for $4.99 each. :D

I go to Fluidseal in Richmond. Most of the time they send me away with what I want for no charge. I guess the guy feels he can’t charge me the minimum of $20 for what would amount to $2 in seals.

Any size information?

You need to take the original seal to a commercial outfit with a useful person at the front desk who will measure it and match it for you. Here’s an outfit near you:

http://www.alltekseal.com

And if they can’t sell to you they could be able to recommend someone who can.

I stock 1000’s of o rings . 90 sure, 70 sure, urethane, silicon. Just pm me the ID, OD, Cross section [ thickness} . I’ll ship you,what you need. Or if on Long Island stop by

In another response I suggested using the paper seal that comes with a new impeller. Some wondered whether it would work. So, I removed a Speed Seal cover to make an assessment. And, yes, the paper gasket spans the gap where the o-ring is positioned. What I don't know yet is whether the four knurled scrrws with their oversized faces, as opposed to the six very small screws on a "standard" cover, will provide sufficient sealing pressure. If not, then one could simply drill two more holes im the Speef Seal cover and be done witj the o-ring dance.

The reason I want the O ring is that I don’t have to clean off the old paper gasket when I replace the impeller. My starboard engines water pump is just short of impossible to get to. With the O ring it is much easier to do the replacement.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom