Keeping a boat on the hard for a year and a half - Opinions, please

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JohnEasley

Guru
Commercial Member
Vessel Name
Wanderlust
Vessel Make
1999 Jefferson Rivanna 52'
Morning all,

Would appreciate your opinions and guidance...

I retire in a little over two years. Based on our original timeline, we're about 18 months from buying our next boat. Timelines being what they are, we may have found one that is perfect for us now. Go figure, right?

It needs some work but it's all cosmetic. The boat is out of the water at this time and has a fresh bottom job on it. No blisters were found. Also, the hydraulic stabilizers were just factory serviced. My wife and I are discussing getting it now and keeping it on the hard for the next 18 months so we can take our time doing the interior cosmetic stuff, change the salt water heads to freshwater, install solar panels, etc.

What concerns would you have or what special attention would need to be taken to keep it dry for a year and a half? Keep electricity to it to keep the batteries charged? Turn over the engines once a month to keep the rings free? Squirt some Marvel Mystery Oil in the injector ports to keep the rings free? What wisdom and guidance could you suggest?

Yes, @titlrider1, it's that one.

Thanks for your help and thoughts.

John

Don't sink on the hard...

The attached might be helpful. My office is nearby Green Cove Springs Marina where many snow birds hole up for hurricane season. I attended a few partial submersion events that occurred on the hard there that were entirely preventable so wrote this article. As far as I know they keep them on hand to give out to their tenants.

Attachments

• Long term lay-up article.pdf
    77.8 KB · Views: 296
bglad's advice is good particularly for boats where you cannot visit them regularly. But it sounds like you will be there routinely doing cosmetic upgrade work.

But do remove the garboard plug if you have one. Not sure I would close the thruhulls but would plug the outside with screen to prevent critters from nesting.

Many, probably most yards don't allow power hookups when you are not there. So when you are there charge up your batteries and they will be fine for several months. Leave the bilge pumps on particularly if there is no garboard plug and that is why I wouldn't close thruhulls. You will probably have enough juice to pump out any rainwater that accumulates until you can visit again and charge up the batteries.

If you can keep power connected, consider a compressor type dehumidifier.

Nothing particular is needed for a diesel that isn't run for 18 mo, but change the impeller before you start it up and prime the fuel system. Diesel left in the tanks should be fine.

David

I would not be especially concerned about leaving it on the hard for that time. Have you been able to sea trial the boat?

moving the engines a bit helps keep valves from sticking and reduces rust. Not necessary to run them. Plan on new batteries when you launch and start life without worries. If you do run the engines remove the raw water pump impellers and find any missing pieces. Not a bad idea to inspect the coolers while you have time. In the old days people put rags in the exhaust outlets to prevent moisture getting in I don't know if that dis any good.

Keep the rain water out of the boat and consider removing the hull drain plug so it cant "sink on the hard" . depending on where the bat is consider making some provision for controlling humidity inside.

If you live nearby and will be fiddling with the boat during this period, I don't see any problem. Problems come when boats sit on the hard with zero attention.

I wouldn’t be too concerned about the batteries since they only have about a 5 year life anyway. Even AGM’s. How old are they now?

I wouldn’t be too concerned about the batteries since they only have about a 5 year life anyway. Even AGM’s. How old are they now?

Not sure of the age of the start batteries. The bow and stern thruster Barrie’s are quite new.

I would not be especially concerned about leaving it on the hard for that time. Have you been able to sea trial the boat?

Not yet. At this point, we’ve had a lot of discussion but haven’t made an offer. It’s the first time we’ve considered buying a boat and keeping it dry for an extended period so we’re still exploring what would be involved.

I tend to do 3 month cruises and then layup particulary during hurricane season, always had an excellent storage batteries around 10xL16 well over 1000amps. Always left my solar running around 4x250 watts (1000 watts) 12v fans running and the odd led light. Batteries all charged and ready to go upon my return. Always stow for severe weather nothing on deck, all vents sealed etc. Always insect bomb the boat upon return.

If you have not bought the boat, you need it surveyed and splashed for sea trial. Amazing how many gremlins are hiding! You want to know about them before closing.

It will be costly to do that, but just a couple gremlins could eclipse that in cost.

If you close on it, flush engines with fresh water and put it back on the hill.

Long term storage on the hard is common here in the PNW. We have special yards with dedicated power. I really like the suggestion of keeping a humidifier running at all times(this is good advice weather in the water or on the hard). Since you will be visiting the boat regularly nothing will be different than being in the water except you will be unable to start engines or run air conditioners. I would find a storage yard with dedicated power.

I thought post #2 ceartianly provided a great game plan for long term unattended boat storage.

John: What boat are you looking at? Or is it a secret? If the latter, then I totally understand.

If you have not bought the boat, you need it surveyed and splashed for sea trial. Amazing how many gremlins are hiding! You want to know about them before closing.

It will be costly to do that, but just a couple gremlins could eclipse that in cost.

If you close on it, flush engines with fresh water and put it back on the hill.

Oh, we’ll absolutely do a survey and sea trial... if we get to that stage.

Long term storage on the hard is common here in the PNW. We have special yards with dedicated power. I really like the suggestion of keeping a humidifier running at all times(this is good advice weather in the water or on the hard). Since you will be visiting the boat regularly nothing will be different than being in the water except you will be unable to start engines or run air conditioners. I would find a storage yard with dedicated power.

I thought post #2 ceartianly provided a great game plan for long term unattended boat storage.

Good to know. Thank you, sir.

Perhaps you could store it in the water and get some use out of it occaisionally between now and retirement. It would give you a chance to get to know her gradually. Kind of like dating before you get married.

I wouldn't be too worried about the boat if you prepared and maintained it properly.
I would be more worried about your health or other circumstances changing, or even your taste in boats altering.
There will always be boats for sale!

A copy of the engine mfg big service and rebuild manual (Da Book) should have a section on "out of service for over 30 days " and advice on pickling that engine for a time period..

Usually an oil change from a warm engine , fresh antifreeze and perhaps special oil in the injectors will be a minimum. Some prefer closing off air intake and exhaust .Some require a volitle oil to prevent internal rust.

I would pay for extra blocking under the keel and extra jack stands. Use chain to go from stand to stand P&S as rope stretches .

The fresh water and waste systems should be emptied , the waste pump emptied .

The hot water tank can usually be drained & bypassed .easily.

After blowing out the water if you are in a cold situation the non toxic antifreeze is a help, but fill the system , as if it dries out it is rally hard to flush clean.

Spray the interior with anything that might stop mold .

Wash the exterior and wax the GRP.

The Garboard plug pull already mentioned is a MANDATORY item, unless the boat will be stored in a building.

Last edited:
Perhaps you could store it in the water and get some use out of it occaisionally between now and retirement. It would give you a chance to get to know her gradually. Kind of like dating before you get married.

Or even better, don't just store it in the water... begin using it, too. From time to time, while focusing more on all that other stuff.

-Chris

Or even better, don't just store it in the water... begin using it, too. From time to time, while focusing more on all that other stuff.

-Chris

Hey, I'm right there with you, guys. Made that argument, myself. I'd love to be running her from time to time. $550 per month to store on the hill with free electric when onsite to work on her. Plus hotel fees if we stay overnight on the weekend to work two days in a row. (too warm in Florida for most of the year to sleep onboard without a/c) $640 per month for a wet slip plus electric. One hotel stay, once a month, would make the two options about equal. However, the wet option would include additional insurance and monthly bottom cleaning fees. Right now we're trying to minimize expenses until the actual retirement date so it looks dry is the best option. :ermm:

If the boat is outside, put the solar panels on first and they will keep the batteries fully charged. My boat sits for 7 months every year and I have no issues with the engine.

To keep the boat dry, shrink wrap is the best. You do need to install several active (solar) vents. Solar panels will pick up enough light through shrink wrap to trickle charge your batteries.

$550 a month is up there. I do not recommend running the engine(s) at all. Perform normal winterizing/long term storage per the manual and do not run them after that. Keep the batteries charged, completely dry the bilge, put out a bunch of "Damp-Rid" and keep the boat closed up tightly to keep out the moisture. Boats around the Northeast are put up this way for 7 months EVERY year with no issue.

Ken

Hey, I'm right there with you, guys. Made that argument, myself. I'd love to be running her from time to time. $550 per month to store on the hill with free electric when onsite to work on her. Plus hotel fees if we stay overnight on the weekend to work two days in a row. (too warm in Florida for most of the year to sleep onboard without a/c) $640 per month for a wet slip plus electric. One hotel stay, once a month, would make the two options about equal. However, the wet option would include additional insurance and monthly bottom cleaning fees. Right now we're trying to minimize expenses until the actual retirement date so it looks dry is the best option. :ermm:

Fair enough...

But remember "intellectual income" can be priceless.

Would you enjoy staying in that hotel? Would you enjoy staying on the boat?

Only you can decide, of course.

-Chris

Fair enough...

But remember "intellectual income" can be priceless.

Would you enjoy staying in that hotel? Would you enjoy staying on the boat?

Only you can decide, of course.

-Chris

Oh, I'm a big believer in intellectual income. And there is no doubt I'd rather stay on the boat than in a hotel... any hotel. Two year, two months, eleven days until retirement and I'm chomping at the bit every single day. Just a couple more things that need to be put into place first.

John

John,

In that case, keeping it in the water is a no brainer! If you're saving thousands on the hard and dockage is horribly expensive, different story. At $90 more a month, that's bupkis.... put it in the water!

Need a bit more info. Tell us about the boat, size, age, equipment, etc? Where are you located... is that Lakeland, FL? Where is the boat located

You say no AC, I'd assume you'd add that?

Gut feeling.....

Keep it on the hard until you get the stuff done that is harder or impossible to do on the water, including your AC. Make the boat livable (assume it's the kind of boat you will be staying on?). Then get it on the water. What additional insurance on the water?

Once you have it livable, you don't have motel bills, and staying on the boat is fun, and you'll learn what things you'll want when you launch it for traveling.

Even in dry storage you need insurance so add that to your cost. There is also depreciation on newer boats to consider. IMO either keep it in the water and uses it occasionally or wait to buy until you are ready.

Even in dry storage you need insurance so add that to your cost. There is also depreciation on newer boats to consider. IMO either keep it in the water and uses it occasionally or wait to buy until you are ready.

Yeah, that's also a discussion my wife and I have had. Numerous times.

John,

In that case, keeping it in the water is a no brainer! If you're saving thousands on the hard and dockage is horribly expensive, different story. At $90 more a month, that's bupkis.... put it in the water!

I know, right? That was the subject of much discussion. Factors that must be added in to the equation are shore power at the dock and the additional insurance. On the hill, we could get away with Comp only. In the water, collision and liability would be a requirement. All factors. There are several others, including the last young 'un is about to start college in the fall.

Need a bit more info. Tell us about the boat, size, age, equipment, etc? Where are you located... is that Lakeland, FL? Where is the boat located

Yes, we're located in Lakeland, FL. For another two years, two months, and eleven days. Then I hit retirement and we plan to sell the house and become full time cruisers.

It's a 1987 54' Ocean Alexander. Some of the electronics are not the current version but they're still very functional and do all of the things we would want. It need a paint job from the rails up, need wall paper stripped off, carpet replaced, a new stove, a couple of minor leaks sealed, etc.

You say no AC, I'd assume you'd add that?

There is A/C. But if the boat is kept in the yard, instead of the water, it's pretty hard to run the A/C. There are already four A/C units installed. Two are a bit leaky and need to be repaired or replaced but two are fairly new.

Gut feeling.....

Keep it on the hard until you get the stuff done that is harder or impossible to do on the water, including your AC. Make the boat livable (assume it's the kind of boat you will be staying on?). Then get it on the water. What additional insurance on the water?

Once you have it livable, you don't have motel bills, and staying on the boat is fun, and you'll learn what things you'll want when you launch it for traveling.

Yup! That's our plan. At least for now.

Lakeland in not all that far from Tampa Bay . Little harbor on the west side of the bay would be easy to access from I 75 and is protected. there are also several marinas in Bradenton. They may not be the best marinas for frequent boating but would work for weekend work visits and boat trips.
probably only 1.5 hour drive.

IMO it is too early for you to buy a boat. There are always lots of boats for sale. Save the money and buy the same boat in two years more cheaply. Your savings go up while the boat price goes down. A double win.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom