MTU Mercedes

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

hmason

Guru
Vessel Name
Lucky Lucky
Vessel Make
Pacific Mariner 65
Hi all and Happy New Year.

I'm looking to learn about marine diesel engines branded "MTU Mercedes." Can you educate me about reliability, parts availability, resale, etc? Thanks!

They make, and have made for decades a huge variety of engines. So you have to be a little more specific. Generally good stuff. The 12 and 16V2000 are common in new sportfish.

8V183TE is the model. What can you tell me? Thanks Ski.

Boatdiesel.com is your best bet on this subject. There have also been some discussions on this engine on the Hatteras Owners Forum. Typically they are refereed to simply as "MTU" brand. Some highly juiced up models got dockside urban legend nicknames of "MTU pockets" . Off hand, I don't remember of the 183 fell into that category.

Cal,
MTU “pockets?” Like in it will empty your pockets?

Cal,
MTU “pockets?” Like in it will empty your pockets?

Given the context I put it in, whaddaya think? But I tend to not put much stock at all in dockside legends. I've known people with a variety of MTU models and have not met an unhappy one...and that's no scientific sample either by a long shot.

Ski can comment on this but MTU's German country-mate MAN requires factory approved techs to do the service and they sell the OEM parts. What that means, here in Bellingham anyway, is that everything comes out of Seattle and you are on the meter to and from. A mechanic friend described MAN parts cost as...breathtaking. Whether MTU is the same MO I couldn't say. But these are premium machines with associated high costs of ownership.

Thanks Ken. This is the kind of information that will help me in my direction of research.

I have an mtu Mercedes diesel. Easy to change fluids, quiet and fabulous performance

Greetings,
Mr. hm. Hmmm...What's the story here? Moving up? Just curious so don't show your hand if you'd care not to...

I've worked on a couple of them. Not too bad of an engine. I've seen a couple knock a tooth off the flywheel and several that had oil leaks from the Lower block to gaskets. Seems to be they all were leaking in the same area. Left front side where the front cover meets the block.

Parts can be hit or miss. The ones that I have worked on about half the stuff needed to be shipped in from Germany.

Last edited:
I've worked on a couple of them. Not too bad of an engine. I've seen a couple knock a tooth off the flywheel and several that had oil leaks from the Lower block to gaskets. Seems to be they all were leaking in the same area. Left front side where the front cover meets the block.

Maintenance is key. I check hoses, gaskets, seals etc. every 2 weeks. An ounce of prevention! ?

8V183 was based on a Mercedes design developed (I think??) before MTU bought Mercedes Benz commercial diesel subsidiary (??). It is 128mm bore/142mm stroke, which is the same as the MAN 2842, but I do not think (??) the engines share a design. The 183 designation means 1.83 liter per cylinder.

Following the 8V183 is a TExx designation, where the xx are numerals indicating how much power the engine is capable of creating. Higher the number, more fuel and more turbo. Get the full number and Boatdiesel has most of the data sheets.

I have some experience with these, but very limited. Not enough to guide you much. In general, I think they are pretty good.

I think the 183 was the predecesssor to the V2000 series, which has larger bore and stroke. Not sure how much if any design was retained.

MTU has bought Detroit Diesel. So many DD dealers now also cover MTU and can provide service and parts. Check that in you local area.

Greetings,
Mr. hm. Hmmm...What's the story here? Moving up? Just curious so don't show your hand if you'd care not to...

New entry for the Dinghy races in Ft Pierce this February.

Ted

Greetings,
Mr. hm. Hmmm...What's the story here? Moving up? Just curious so don't show your hand if you'd care not to...[/QUOTE

No secret here. Was looking at yachtworld and came a boat with those engines. Never heard of them and became curious.

Greetings,
Mr. hm. Hmmm...What's the story here? Moving up? Just curious so don't show your hand if you'd care not to...[/QUOTE

No secret here. Was looking at yachtworld and came a boat with those engines. Never heard of them and became curious.

Like I said, great engine I love mine!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom