View Single Post
Old 12-27-2018, 07:46 AM   #47
Steve DAntonio
Guru

City: Deltaville
Quote:
Originally Posted by twistedtree View Post
OK, I have to ask.... What's the issue with using Starboard as a backing/mounting board?
I believe it's grossly over-used by boat builders and yards for structural applications. The material is flexible, warps, sags and cracks too easily. It's also dense and thus heavy, so if weight is an issue it's not ideal. It's too often used as one would use timber/plywood or GPO3/G10. The latter materials are far stiffer and thus not prone to the aforementioned weaknesses.

I've seen it used for motor mount shims, ladder treads, frame sistering and seacock backing blocks, all cringe-worthy. Aesthetically, which is primarily Delfin's installation, and in light compression, it's less of an issue, there are definitely places where it makes sense, however, it doesn't clean up nearly as nicely as painted GPO or timber(for interior applications). It's great for cutting boards.

Years ago, when it was still relatively new to the marine industry, the yard I managed used it to trim out a new build cockpit. It looked great and since it was rot-proof (one of its main advantages) seemed like a good idea, until the weather changed, whereupon all the joints opened up, far more than they would have with timber. Did I say it's great for cutting boards;-)