Marine Trader/Tradewinds 34 sedan

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Lucie

Hi
New to this forum and looking to buy a Tradewinds 34 in Australia. I'm assuming this is another name for the Marine Trader. I have read that there can be issues with rot in the cabin structure. The vessel is 1984 build. Can anyone advise on this or other issues with this model.
Thanks in advance.

Hi
New to this forum and looking to buy a Tradewinds 34 in Australia. I'm assuming this is another name for the Marine Trader. I have read that there can be issues with rot in the cabin structure. The vessel is 1984 build. Can anyone advise on this or other issues with this model.
Thanks in advance.

Welcome to TrawlerForum, many Marine Trader's owners here.

Hi
Thanks in advance.
There was a Tradewinds ?36 with twins recently sold in Sydney, I`m not so sure they are identical with the MT, though both are Taiwanese trawlers, and they probably have similar issues.
What is the cabin built of? Exterior can be ply or f/g. Teak decks and rusty steel fuel tanks are likely issues.

Is this it? Used Tradewinds 34 for Sale | Boats For Sale | Yachthub.
New stainless tanks is good, and it looks like someone has been willing to spend $ on upkeep and improvements. Are the exterior window frames wood or metal? Check for condition. The teak deck planking looks ok, are screwed on (note plugs) so possibly original, deck work is expensive so look for any rot, failing decks allow moisture to migrate inwards.

Is this it? Used Tradewinds 34 for Sale | Boats For Sale | Yachthub.
New stainless tanks is good, and it looks like someone has been willing to spend $ on upkeep and improvements. Are the exterior window frames wood or metal? Check for condition. The teak deck planking looks ok, are screwed on (note plugs) so possibly original, deck work is expensive so look for any rot, failing decks allow moisture to migrate inwards.

Thanks for your comments Bruce. It is not that boat but one almost identical. The cabin is f/g externally and ply inside. It's more the structure I am concerned about only because I have heard some of these boats were built with inferior timber. I can't be peeling bits of ply off to have a look. I just thought someone might have experience with this model.
Cheers

Thanks for your comments Bruce. It is not that boat but one almost identical. The cabin is f/g externally and ply inside. It's more the structure I am concerned about only because I have heard some of these boats were built with inferior timber. I can't be peeling bits of ply off to have a look. I just thought someone might have experience with this model.
Cheers

Actually, Lucie, that one BruceK turned up looks pretty good. I have the same model basically, but called the Clipper 34, and it is 1975 vintage. This one looks in way better shape than mine did when I bought it. Maybe worth a look as well..? Actually they are very nice boats for a 34 footer hard to beat. By and large there's nothing on them that can't be fixed, but that one doesn't look like there is much to do. However, as always, a good survey is the way to go if seriously considering. Not a bad price either. However, matter of fact, mine is for sale for 20k less, and Melbourne's not that far away...

http://www.clipper34forsale.com

Last edited:
I have a 36 Marine Trader Sundeck 1986. As with any boat maintenance is key. Older boats of any make require more tlc than newer ones. Good luck with your search and welcome aboard!

Tradewinds is not a Marine trader.

Last edited:
(Marine Trader) Tradewinds 38 Sundeck

Please indulge a new member and wannabe trawler owner/Looper. I've researched dozens of 25 - 35 year-old 35' - 42' Sundeck-style & Europa-style trawlers, and the history of Taiwanese-built trawlers. A 1987 Tradewinds 38 Sundeck in Michigan has captured my attention for a variety of reasons. I think it was probably built/imported by Marine Trader/Marine Trading International (MTI); so arguably, it could/should be called a Marine Trader Tradewinds 38 Sundeck? If not, can anyone tell me what the difference(s) between a Marine Trader 38 Sundeck and a Tradewinds 38 Sundeck is (are)? Just hull/keel design? Is anyone familiar with the Tradewinds 38 Sundeck's pros and cons? If I can buy a mid- to late-80's 40' Sundeck trawler, comparably equipped and in similar condition, for the same $50K +/- price, BUT the 40' boat was a lifelong year-round-use saltwater boat (not a six-months-of-the-year use freshwater boat), would anyone advise getting the bigger boat for the same initial investment? Thanks in advance to anyone who responds to share their knowledge, experience, and insight with me.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom