David Pascoe Passed

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Vessel Name
Branwen
Vessel Make
Hatteras 48 LRC
I was just reading another excellent article by David Pascoe on his site that I've referred to MANY times, and at the end of the article there was an announcement that he passed away on Nov 23rd, 2018, at age 71. What a treasure he was, and he created such an incredible legacy that will endure a very long time. RIP.

His efforts are appreciated and he will be missed.

R.I.P.

Agree, with many interesting articles and much information, he was well known and respected also in Europe, he was a great person in boating "industry"

NBs

I hope his website stays open, it is probably the best boat overview for the wannabe,.

RIP

I learned so much from him. Really helped me. Likewise my blow boater son.

I hope that site stays up.

When I was looking to buy my first "big" boat I had some questions so, out of the blue I phoned him, he gave me some good advice, no charge! A good guy!

He was a guy from another era where it was socially more acceptable to hold an alternate opinion and disagree respectably. Lots of folks did not like him because he pointed out things he felt were weaknesses in boats they liked. Pascoe would most importantly tell you why he thought an issue was a problem, and that’s the important point.

I think that was more of a common belief system that unfortunately, does not seem to hold up in today’s world so much. I love my Tolly, but would not think less of it were someone to call out a perceived shortcoming. I’d be more inclined to agree and add to the list. Heck, Tolly himself was extremely uncomfortable when someone would call his boats the best boat made. He was proud of his boats, extremely proud. but even more so, the hard choices they made to provide the right value, and that means that nothing was ever going to be perfect. He would rattle off a list a mile long on your dear beloved vessel if you prompted him, which I made the mistake of indulging once. I think Pascoe shared the same belief system, more principled than blind belief in any one or two brand, even though he was pretty clear what he was partial to.

The thing I learned most from Pascoe, that understanding why you held an opinion was the most important thing, more so than some blind overall conclusion that any particular brand was either good or bad. He would consistently answer both mail and phone.

He will be missed.

I have several of his books. The guy really knew his stuff and was not afraid to speak his mind!

He will be missed!

How unfortunate. I, too, learned a lot from his articles. RIP.

Agreed learned much from his articles. Provided me with new eyes when viewing boats under survey.

Sad news for for sure.. I enjoyed his articles and someday will likely pass to the other side with less than half his knowledge!! Would liked to have met him.

I’ve read and re-read a whole lot of his reviews and articles. We bought our last boat based in part on what he said about how they were made.

Very sad to hear he has passed.

WAY too young.... what a shame. I loved the way he wrote and one could learn a lot just reading his comments. He sure called it like it is, and he was spot on!

I searched out his uncomplimentary IG44 review recently, and saw he had died. (A bit like the IG44) Didn`t pull punches, really said it as he saw it.

While I respect David Pascoe's expertise and his tell it like he sees it style, I do believe he didn't fully consider the application before he called out a flaw. If he saw a flaw and it really didn't matter to the intended use he always damned it.

Not every boat is built like a Nordhavn and most won't be used like one either.

David

Dang :(!
You left a mark David Pasco, a good mark indeed.

RIP David, I use his logic when selecting a surveyor. Find one that the boat brokers dislike and you’ll be paying for the truth.

We have a boat we love because of him. I never would have thought to look for one if not for his review. Every point in it has been shown spot on after three years of ownership.

:thumb::thumb::thumb::thumb:

He was a guy from another era where it was socially more acceptable to hold an alternate opinion and disagree respectably. Lots of folks did not like him because he pointed out things he felt were weaknesses in boats they liked. Pascoe would most importantly tell you why he thought an issue was a problem, and that’s the important point.

I think that was more of a common belief system that unfortunately, does not seem to hold up in today’s world so much. I love my Tolly, but would not think less of it were someone to call out a perceived shortcoming. I’d be more inclined to agree and add to the list. Heck, Tolly himself was extremely uncomfortable when someone would call his boats the best boat made. He was proud of his boats, extremely proud. but even more so, the hard choices they made to provide the right value, and that means that nothing was ever going to be perfect. He would rattle off a list a mile long on your dear beloved vessel if you prompted him, which I made the mistake of indulging once. I think Pascoe shared the same belief system, more principled than blind belief in any one or two brand, even though he was pretty clear what he was partial to.

The thing I learned most from Pascoe, that understanding why you held an opinion was the most important thing, more so than some blind overall conclusion that any particular brand was either good or bad. He would consistently answer both mail and phone.

He will be missed.

David Pascoe was my go-to guru on many topics. His dry humour (sorry, humor) was appreciated, as were the contents of his many, well informed articles. RIP. May they build them better wherever he is now surveying.

This review of an IG40 built by Jiang Hua illustrates the David Pascoe review technique. Some "ouch" in it for the builder.
https://www.yachtsurvey.com/boatreviews/IslandGypsy40.htm

Jiang Hua still builds(or did until at least 2011) the boat as a traditional trawler using the Integrity brand, without the "neither fish nor fowl" character. Incorporating the swimstep into the hull makes it 42ft 6",and twin 210 Cummins BTs are fitted.
Did Jiang Hua read the review? Would Pascoe have approved? Who knows?

Last edited:
For any newbie, get a hold of his "Mid-sized Power Boats". Read the first 2/3rds of it. His discussion on basic ergonomics, construction and systems is invaluable. Make doubly sure your Significant Other does as well, it is very readable.

David and I disagreed on some key topics, among others the causes of osmotic blisters, and the need for over current protection on bilge pumps (he believed none should be used), but above all else he was a gentleman, and welcomed productive debate, rather than his way or the highway. He died too young. I hope Fiddler's Green welcomes him with open arms.

That is indeed sad news - I too have a couple of his books and benefited from his experience, particularly with his strongly held opinions about power-to-weight in diesel engines where being uninformed can cost an owner 10s of thousands of dollars.

It's no surprise that TW folks feel such kinship with his views, but every time I mentioned his site or books on THT I got quite a bit of blowback - those guys LOVE their high-speed lightweight diesels. :)

BTW, another name that I'm concerned about is Bill Bishop - it's been literally a year to the day since his last "Marine Installers Rant" post - does anyone know what happened to him?

I book marked the URL to David's site?
I was hoping he managed to review an American Tug 34/36 but, he left too soon.

Last edited:
That is indeed sad news - I too have a couple of his books and benefited from his experience, particularly with his strongly held opinions about power-to-weight in diesel engines where being uninformed can cost an owner 10s of thousands of dollars.

It's no surprise that TW folks feel such kinship with his views, but every time I mentioned his site or books on THT I got quite a bit of blowback - those guys LOVE their high-speed lightweight diesels. :)

BTW, another name that I'm concerned about is Bill Bishop - it's been literally a year to the day since his last "Marine Installers Rant" post - does anyone know what happened to him?

He like lots of experts can hit the nail on the head when discussing something face to face, but any form of written info has its limitations.

Look at how many disagreements come full circle here and are now somewhat in agreement.

Change venues and a whole new mentality can be opposing.

Given his rants about "Taiwan Trawlers" I'm a little surprised at the love shown here, but it shows the respect he had. That's one reason I recommend people read the basics in his book and avoid skipping to his opinions about boat makers and engines (no pretty dated anyway). And I say that as someone who had the same taste in boats as he did ;o).

Who said he was wrong about Taiwan Trawers? :)

Most owners either got a well cared for one or haven't gotten to the bare bones of one yet.

I would never buy one again.

Back
Top Bottom