View Single Post
Old 12-24-2018, 06:55 PM   #19
C lectric
Guru

City: Gibsons, B.C., Canada
Vessel Name: Island Pride
Vessel Model: Palmer 32'
For the halibut I looked up both the 3M tapes, 2090 and the 2080. Both say indoor use. 2090 2 wks indoors, 2080 60 days indoors.
They don't say cannot use outdoors but neither does 3M say you can.

Years ago when I started they rated it, 2090 , as up to 1 week outdoors. That was on the label.
I got onto these tapes from Rebecca Whitmans book , a pro varnisher out of Seattle, Wa. Although her book was a coffee table type it had serious varnish info in it.

THe tape I have now says 2 weeks indoors. However I did not have any trouble last season unless I went over the week. Even then it was minimal and came off clean, just was bit more exacting about technique. But I also have really never pushed it past the week or I would retape those areas needing it.

Guess I will need to do some more looking just be sure 3M has not monkeyed it.

And yes, or no, this time I don't see any warning of discontinuing. ????

Tiltrider, if you think of it please post what you are using now.

Firstbase: I suspect you would be fine using your stock of 2080. Just do so where it is not so exposed and where you don't need to leave it on for long. Test it for release often and as soon as it shows trouble pull it. I guess you will be able to use it all. I know on my boat there are areas of varnish that they do not get all day sun. Other areas do.
C lectric is online now   Reply With Quote