Regarding boat bikes...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Does anyone keep a real bike on board? As in something like a BMW G650GS with panniers secured in the aft open cockpit? Requires a topside crane but at around 450 lb it's doable, not too heavy for the dock and offers complete freedom of travel when in the destination marina.

This interests me also. A Zero FX electric motorcycle weighs 289 pounds. I suppose storage space for the (personally required) riding safety gear needs to figure in.

Sorry for the hijack :thumb:

If I were building up a bike for the boat, I'd build it with belt drive and the 14 speed Rohloff internal hub shifter. Since it is a sealed oil bath, pretty much no corrosion on the inside anyway. The downside of belt drives is the frame must be made to take it - you need to break the chain stay to change the belt as you cannot break the belt.

Isn't it easy enough to dismount the rear wheel if a belt change becomes necessary?

-Chris

I came across this: https://www.prioritybicycles.com/products/thecoast

The one speed has no parts that can rust but the 3 speed has a Shimano gear box they make clear isn't rust proof.

We currently have Montague folding, but they have lots of bits and pieces that get rusty so I think we want something a bit more robust.

Looks promising, if not elegant. With a decent rack on the back, could be a good stuff-hauler.

I don't understand about the Shimano hub "shifter" not being rust proof? Given it's a belt drive Shimano 3, looks like it's internal gears...

-Chris

Last edited:
Looks promising, if not elegant. With a decent rack on the back, could be a good stuff-hauler.

I don't understand about the Shimano hub "shifter" not being rust proof? Given it's a belt drive Shimano 3, looks like it's internal gears...

-Chris

Priority cycle has the warning that the Shimano gear isn't rust proof. The maintenance on it shows soaking it in a bath of oil to lubricate internal parts, so if oil can get through, so can salty humidity. There seem to be other 3 gear hubs that are waterproof and made of alloy, although I suspect that if you kept the Shimano occasionally sprayed down with Fluid Film it would probably last for years.

If you want a smaller alternative, check out folding electric scooters. I got two of these for the kids to ride around when we park at a marina. They work great, go 15MPH and seem to last forever. The official range is 10-12 miles, but depending on how heavy you are, it varies. The kids could go 20+ miles, I think.

Only $399 each, which is less than a lot of e-bikes.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07F1GZM6Z/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o05_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Looks great, but my current rotund self is over the 220# limit.

Bought two electric scooters in Toronto. Worked great for a while. Threw them in a dumptser in Beaufort NC. That was as far as they got before the motors corroded away.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom