City: MN and FL
Vessel Name: Serendipitous
Vessel Model: Mainship 390, Bayliner 3258, Bayliner 4788
Add one to the list?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avalon36 View Post
My game plan (today) is to do the following in the Spring:
* Change the Oil to CAT SAEO 30w
* Add an exhaust extension under the swim platform.
* Pull and inspect the aftercooler
* Inspect the turbo for carbon buildup
* Run the rack and sync the injectors
* Evaluate prop pitch once I have a confirmed engine operating baseline

My question for everyone is: Does that sound like a reasonable and logical plan?

I can't thank everyone enough for their input and comments. The discussion on prop curve and over/under propped has been incredibly helpful and educational.

Happy Holidays!

Avalon, I don't think you are at risk of ruining your new engine in the short term, so probably do the cheapest things first and see what happens.

That said, the first thing I would do (and probably the cheapest) is to install an EGT sender in your exhaust and put a gauge at the helm. This way you will be seeing any engine overloading in real-time, as it happens.

With EGT monitor you can immediately see the impact of every subsequent change you make.

And...since you will be doing an oil-change anyway, maybe get an oil analysis -- also very cheap. One of the compounds they look for is 'soot' in the oil. If your engine is producing soot because of overloading, then your blowby gasses are going to be putting that same soot into your crankase. This will show up in the oil analysis.

We'll be standing by waiting for your report on what works and what doesn't!