Manual Steering Auto pilot, any suggestions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Biloxi Jim

Veteran Member
Vessel Name
La Dolce Vita
Vessel Make
1991 48 Californian
I am working on an old Biloxi Lugger with cable steering and a Benmar A/P. After continuous repairs, time between failures is getting very short. It is time to move on. Without converting the entire system to hydraulic, what options have worked for other?

We have have a Comnav autopilot on our Lindell 36 The flybridge and cockpit steering are all electronic via the autopilot. Their new P4 system runs on a NMEA 2000 backbone, seems very spiffy. Our 1101 system still works like a charm.
Eric

Which needs the constant repairs, the Benmar or the cable steering?

For the Benmar contact them. Talk to them and get some pointers.

FOr the cable system it may need more than just patchwork repairs. But those systems have been used reliably for years.

If the cable system is the trouble then what specifically has been failing?

Actually a hydraulic system might be a good way to consider for the long term. If chosen and installed properly they are dead reliable with LONG repair intervals.

Last edited:
There's no reason you couldn't use your existing Benmar drive with almost any pilot provided it's just the Benmar computer hardware that has gone bad and not the drive that is giving you issues. I love it when I come on a boat and the steering drive is already in place...that's the hardest part of a pilot install.

We have have a Comnav autopilot on our Lindell 36 The flybridge and cockpit steering are all electronic via the autopilot. Their new P4 system runs on a NMEA 2000 backbone, seems very spiffy. Our 1101 system still works like a charm.
Eric

Thanks for the info Helm. The P4 system seems to be a little more than we are looking for. I am going to contact COMNAV about the 1001. Looks like the old Robinson AP.

Which needs the constant repairs, the Benmar or the cable steering?

For the Benmar contact them. Talk to them and get some pointers.

FOr the cable system it may need more than just patchwork repairs. But those systems have been used reliably for years.

If the cable system is the trouble then what specifically has been failing?

Actually a hydraulic system might be a good way to consider for the long term. If chosen and installed properly they are dead reliable with LONG repair intervals.

We were trying to keep from going all hydraulic and the cost associated with converting 2 stations plus AP.

It is the computer and binnacle. We have replaced internal components, transistors I think, I'm the mechanical. Now the binnacle seems to be causing a hard over to starboard.

There's no reason you couldn't use your existing Benmar drive with almost any pilot provided it's just the Benmar computer hardware that has gone bad and not the drive that is giving you issues. I love it when I come on a boat and the steering drive is already in place...that's the hardest part of a pilot install.

That would be a great solution. I went by my Electronics supplier today but closed for the holidays. I will be back at Advace Marine after the first of the year.

I saw a garmin Radar on your blog. Have you done this on your boat? Just upgraded to a garmin plotter. It would be nice if they talked to each other.

The sailboat style unit that mounts in front of or behind the wheel are great easy to install and maintain .

All the toys like remote control can be had .

Perhaps this would suit your boat/

CPT Autopilot Inc.

Last edited:
That would be a great solution. I went by my Electronics supplier today but closed for the holidays. I will be back at Advace Marine after the first of the year.

I saw a garmin Radar on your blog. Have you done this on your boat? Just upgraded to a garmin plotter. It would be nice if they talked to each other.

If your new Garmin plotter has a network port on the back, it will interface to most Garmin radar antennas.
Sorry about our blog being so behind...my wife does the blogging and we've been lax in keeping it current!

The sailboat style unit that mounts in front of or behind the wheel are great easy to install and maintain .

All the toys like remote control can be had .

Perhaps this would suit your boat/

CPT Autopilot Inc.

Thanks. I think this will be up for top consideration. The only thing that would be better is if it could talk to the Garmin.

The transistor you replaced, were they blown?

Years ago I had that happen to my unit. One transistor blew shorting and operating the unit to turn hard starboard immediately it got power.
I replaced them although to test I had to cut the caps. and then replace those also.

I realized after reading the instruction/installation manual while testing after the repair that the hydraulic pump was never set up properly. THe pump oil delivery rate was set at maximum per revolution. The rudder movement was FAST, too fast which overloaded the motor never allowing it to get out of the inrush current state.

Once I dealt with the pump delivery rate by backing off the swash plate the rudder actually was quicker to respond since the motor actually was running faster. Even though each revolution delivered less oil the motor could turn faster revs so delivered more oil in the same time with less strain.

My unit had been installed shortly before the P.O. sold the boat to us so I suspect he just didn't quite finish all the tuning.

So if you are blowing transistors , the main power transistors, then check the pump delivery rate. On mine it was simply a timing exercise to determine the oil delivery rate. Too few seconds meant the pump was trying to deliver too much oil overloading/straining the motor.

If your unit is immediately turning one direction or the other when it gets power at turn on , then maybe another transistor has blown from the above problem. Recheck and replace them including the capacitors and then check into the pump delivery rate.

Last edited:
"Thanks. I think this will be up for top consideration. The only thing that would be better is if it could talk to the Garmin."

Have you contacted them to ask?

Although the concept of the AP steering from the GPS , at least in close quarters is scary to me , and in open waters the compass should do fine.

The transistor you replaced, were they blown?

Years ago I had that happen to my unit. One transistor blew shorting and operating the unit to turn hard starboard immediately it got power.
I replaced them although to test I had to cut the caps. and then replace those also.

I realized after reading the instruction/installation manual while testing after the repair that the hydraulic pump was never set up properly. THe pump oil delivery rate was set at maximum per revolution. The rudder movement was FAST, too fast which overloaded the motor never allowing it to get out of the inrush current state.

Once I dealt with the pump delivery rate by backing off the swash plate the rudder actually was quicker to respond since the motor actually was running faster. Even though each revolution delivered less oil the motor could turn faster revs so delivered more oil in the same time with less strain.

My unit had been installed shortly before the P.O. sold the boat to us so I suspect he just didn't quite finish all the tuning.

So if you are blowing transistors , the main power transistors, then check the pump delivery rate. On mine it was simply a timing exercise to determine the oil delivery rate. Too few seconds meant the pump was trying to deliver too much oil overloading/straining the motor.

If your unit is immediately turning one direction or the other when it gets power at turn on , then maybe another transistor has blown from the above problem. Recheck and replace them including the capacitors and then check into the pump delivery rate.

It was professionally installed and has worked for decades, but there maybe wear or other issues causing an over current condition. I will check that out.

"Thanks. I think this will be up for top consideration. The only thing that would be better is if it could talk to the Garmin."

Have you contacted them to ask?

Although the concept of the AP steering from the GPS , at least in close quarters is scary to me , and in open waters the compass should do fine.

I intend to ask the local Garmin supplier as soon as they open after the first of the year.

As for AP in close quarters I'm with you 100%. Give me my wheel and/or wheels as in props.

Investing in hydraulics is money well spent, and will pay back, if not in dollars, in peace of mind.

If your Benmar unit is a course setter then there is a troubleshooting guide available that might help. A hard over condition sounds like it could be one of the IC's that are blown. They are very susceptible to failures from over voltage conditions. The ICs are on sockets so the hardest part is to get the unit out of the boat then 30 minutes to change out about $10 worth of ICs.

If your Benmar unit is a course setter then there is a troubleshooting guide available that might help. A hard over condition sounds like it could be one of the IC's that are blown. They are very susceptible to failures from over voltage conditions. The ICs are on sockets so the hardest part is to get the unit out of the boat then 30 minutes to change out about $10 worth of ICs.

I had a course setter when we first bought the boat. Had a similar issue, which turned out to be the lamp in the compass unit had burned out.

Then had a similar issue that wasn’t the lamp, but I replaced instead of working through it. I went with a ComNav AP, which interfaced with the BenMar drive unit seamlessly.

If you or anyone else is interested, I still have all the BenMar parts sitting in a bin. Free to a good home, just cover shipping.

Questionmark,

I'd be interested in moving your course setter parts to my spare boat parts bin. PM me with the details.

Regards,

Ken

"It was professionally installed and has worked for decades, but there maybe wear or other issues causing an over current condition."

Simplest system check is to operate the wheel while not moving.

If the wheel can easily be spun P&S the bearings, pulleys and cable should be fine .

If replacement cable is needed Bronze cable which is softer (tho pri$y) was available Edson , along with bronze cable blocks .

mr biloxi! 27 yrs ago, i bought a 40 ft skookum with a benmar A/P, fought it for to long, did a lot of research here in seattle, bought the next model up, it went all over the bay, got my money back and bought one made in england, , used the old steering system motor [hydrolic] with the new control box, and brain/compass, has worked for 26 yrs! i`m sure yours will work with the present system]...the 10001, 1000 from vancouver should be fine with your rudder control system! those vancouver made systems are used in commercial fishing boats all over...clyde

Back
Top Bottom