What 5 year plan?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Wait on electronics

Overall, you make an excellent choice, especially compared to the others you looked at. The Sundancer (great boat) would be quite expensive for gas on the loop, but I love the dancers I've owned.

You have the time to make sure everything is as expected and if everything works you have it made. Be prepared to upgrade or replace things that are marginal. You don't want issues that drive you nuts on the loop. You have plenty of time, but make your upgrades and modification early in case things don't work out like you want.

Regarding electronics... be SURE they work up to your expectations. And if they are really old, consider getting some new stuff. Especially chart plotter, depth, VHF and autopilot. You will be happy those things work and are not marginal.

Sounds like you have a great start. Keep us posted.

While I agree you've got time to make repairs and upgrades, wait to do your electronics as long as you can. If you update them now, in 4 years when you do the Loop they'll be newer and better technology on the market and you'll wish you had waited.

Last edited:
Congratulations, it sounds like a good plan. We have been looking at boats for the last year and a half and last week our offer was accepted, '96 Monk 36. So we feel your excitement.
I know when they excepted our offer my reaction was, wait...really... no.... what now.

Last edited:
Mr RT I like the way you think. I was going to make up a soft sided bag with a mixture of tools from the over stuffed tool boxes in my garage, but I like the idea of the kit. You can see much easier when you have put all the tools back where they belong. I'm also going to bring a well supplied wiring repair bag with wire, connectors, multi tester, heat gun, and shrink wrap. I will probably still make up a bag with specialty tools.

Greetings,
Mr. CR. No matter what you bring, there may be just that situation where you need your double ended grapple grommet and it's on your tool bench in the garage so I caution you again, don't get carried away. Take the minimum you are comfortable with and I give you permission to mean mouth me when you get home. This is one of many situations where you can overthink the "what-ifs".

One more suggestion...If you bring replacement parts, know how to change them out. Actually put wrenches and sockets on nuts and bolts to check clearances and space limitations. Eg: Have you got an oil filter wrench or a strap wrench AND the room to swing it if you have to change filters?

There are some engines where you have to partially disassemble non problem related parts to get at what you want to work on.

Last edited:
Greetings,
Mr. CR. No matter what you bring, there may be just that situation where you need your double ended grapple grommet and it's on your tool bench in the garage so I caution you again, don't get carried away. Take the minimum you are comfortable with and I give you permission to mean mouth me when you get home. This is one of many situations where you can overthink the "what-ifs".

One more suggestion...If you bring replacement parts, know how to change them out. Actually put wrenches and sockets on nuts and bolts to check clearances and space limitations. Eg: Have you got an oil filter wrench or a strap wrench AND the room to swing it if you have to change filters?

There are some engines where you have to partially disassemble non problem related parts to get at what you want to work on.

FireFly, I lent out my favorite double ended grapple grommet, but don't worry I remember who I lent it to.
I have been around diesel engines(even a 3208) and mechanics of all kinds for many many years. I have even rebuilt a few gas engines in the past. Even rebuilt a few cars that I have in the garage. Granted I have never done it when rocking back and fourth in a boat in a storm. LOL. But mostly I just bring the tools along because they are nice and shiny chrome.

Attachments

• 3208 Crane Truck.jpg
    3208 Crane Truck.jpg
    51.6 KB · Views: 250
We also had a 5 year plan but fell in love with a 38' Californian motor yacht that needs lots of love - lol. So now we live on the boat part-time, Friday night through sunday night and it is amazing how much we enjoy it. Great way to find out if living on board is for you.

We also had a 5 year plan but fell in love with a 38' Californian motor yacht that needs lots of love - lol. So now we live on the boat part-time, Friday night through sunday night and it is amazing how much we enjoy it. Great way to find out if living on board is for you.

It's like a min vacation.

The plan is to float her down in the spring and then have her taken out of the water and trucked to our garage and blocked up. Or if I can get another boat lift installed by then, bring it to our canal house. Then the work begins. we want to give her the attention she needs before our retirement trip of the loop and then more trips around Florida and beyond.

Divorce is never too late. Remember that when she finds out how much work boats really are. :lol:

I kid. Congrats on the boat. I've been looking at some of those old Nordies online.

Divorce is never too late. Remember that when she finds out how much work boats really are. :lol:

I kid. Congrats on the boat. I've been looking at some of those old Nordies online.

Well, we all kid about it of course, but I got lucky with the wife,:D she is no stranger to working on projects with me, she knows how to use a sander. And since she was all in on this one I see no problems ahead. She has already started to make plans for the salon rebuild.

Greetings,
Mr. CR. You mean the SALOON rebuild, of course unless your wife is going to open a hair dressing business aboard...Just sayin'

Greetings,
Mr. CR. You mean the SALOON rebuild, of course unless your wife is going to open a hair dressing business aboard...Just sayin'
Doesn`t "Saloon" connote a bar,a room in a public house,etc? In desperation I`ve taken to calling it "the main cabin", I don`t think it`s a salon or a saloon.:hide:

Greetings,
I have used Saloon in conversation with brokers and other boaters and have always been corrected to salon. So I guess it depends on who you talk to. I'm with BruceK, lets call it the main cabin.

Greetings,
Once again Mr Fly you are correct I found this on a boating term site.

Saloon = Living room

The social area of a larger boat is called the saloon. However, it is pronounced “salon.”

You learn something new everyday

Last edited:
Greetings,

Saloon:

Word Origin & History

1728, anglicized form of salon, and originally used interchangeable with it. Meaning "large hall in a public place for entertainment, etc." is from 1747; especially a passenger boat from 1817, also used of railway cars furnished like drawing rooms (1842). Sense of "public bar" developed by 1841, American English.

The reason bars in the old west were dubbed saloons was to lend a note of refinement to what otherwise was simply a p*ss joint that sold rotgut and on occasion, I expect, women although don't let Miss Kitty know that...

200w.gif

Last edited:
Well, we all kid about it of course, but I got lucky with the wife,:D she is no stranger to working on projects with me, she knows how to use a sander. And since she was all in on this one I see no problems ahead. She has already started to make plans for the salon rebuild.
:thumb: She's already got you inline for the honey do's boat style.

ct to fl? No problem. Out of the harbor and turn right. The only things you will need are tow insurance and a credit card. How hard can it be?

lol!!!

Be sure to have "change impellers" on your pre-departure list. We met some folks about a month ago who were delivering someone else's boat from Annapolis to St. Thomas, and when they were about a day into the trip (and offshore), they started to get some high engine coolant temps. Both impellers looked like they were at least 4 - 5 years old. One had literally no vanes left intact! Fortunately, they had spares.

Be sure to have "change impellers" on your pre-departure list. We met some folks about a month ago who were delivering someone else's boat from Annapolis to St. Thomas, and when they were about a day into the trip (and offshore), they started to get some high engine coolant temps. Both impellers looked like they were at least 4 - 5 years old. One had literally no vanes left intact! Fortunately, they had spares.

We need to inventory the parts that were left on the boat from the PO. I was told that he was the type of boater that purchased 3 replacement parts when he needed one, so there are a lot of new parts on the boat that I need to go thru and inventory. I know as I looked thru the boat before and after the sea trial there is a lot of new packages stuffed in all the cabinets. But I will be sure to add one or two if I don't find any.

Thanks for the reminder. :thumb:

Salon/Saloon are both anachronisms.
Is it ok to have a spittoon in the saloon?
But does "main cabin" cut it? It`s a euphemism for the "coach" or "economy" cabin on a plane. On a boat would people think it meant the principal sleeping cabin. Or should that be a "stateroom",which sounds so grand.
On balance, I still prefer main cabin for what is essentially the living room. But I don`t think it is in general use.

We need to inventory the parts that were left on the boat from the PO. I was told that he was the type of boater that purchased 3 replacement parts when he needed one, so there are a lot of new parts on the boat that I need to go thru and inventory. I know as I looked thru the boat before and after the sea trial there is a lot of new packages stuffed in all the cabinets. But I will be sure to add one or two if I don't find any.

Thanks for the reminder. :thumb:

Just be cautious on impellers and other plastic or rubber parts as they will deteriorate over time.

While I agree you've got time to make repairs and upgrades, wait to do your electronics as long as you can. If you update them now, in 4 years when you do the Loop they'll be newer and better technology on the market and you'll wish you had waited.

Excellent point! And a good electronics install will take a bit of time... planning, install, and setup/calibration and working out the bugs.

The only thing really needed to get home is a simple chart plotter, depth and a VHF. Ipad is a great backup and planning tool.

Wifey B: We got no 5 year plans. Not even a 1 year yet but working on it. Now to businesswoman Wifey B. Hubby B refuses to do 5 year plans. Our employees do about 18 months and regularly revise. 5 year financials are just mathematical formulas, no plan behind them. He says no one has any idea about 5 years from now. I remember first time we had the discussion with our CEO and CFO at that time. They looked around shocked and then suddenly acknowledged the absurdity of thinking you knew all to happen in five years.

Back to non business me. You focus too much on too far out and you fail to focus on the present and next year. You miss it. It passes you by. You miss the boat the OP bought now. I hear people all the time talking about "when the time is right" or worse, "when I have no stress" and s... like that. Well, the time never comes. I know a family planned a reunion but they were waiting until there was a time everyone could come. Well, many dead now and still no reunion. :)

GREAT reminder. Many of us have long term plans and think, "ahhhh, there's plenty of time"..... and it never gets done.

GREAT reminder. Many of us have long term plans and think, "ahhhh, there's plenty of time"..... and it never gets done.

Keep these two words in mind, "Analysis Paralysis." I've seen businesses destroyed by the practice and I've seen personal relationships destroyed.

Wrapped up

The new to us boats has been wrapped up this week and is all ready to spend a frozen winter in Connecticut. My wife is xing out everyday on the calendar. She just can't wait to get on the boat and start planning the Saloon (got it right this time) layout.

Greetings,
Mr. CR. Planning is good BUT!!!! I very strongly suggest you don't actually DO anything until after you've lived with the boat for at least 6 months (preferably 1 year).
What may seem like a better idea now, may not prove to be. Do the minimum to get her livable and comfortable for the first bit THEN make changes. I suspect both of you will have a lot to keep you busy just catching up on deferred maintenance and repairs without making any changes right away.

200w.gif

Hi Mr. Fly
I would normally agree with you, and I'm going to PM you the Broker's video link and you will see the saloon is very scarce. There is no settee, very little counter space, pretty much just a refrigerator and a sink with a movable table. And the wife said I should throw the coach overboard LOL. It is not as if we are changing the saloon, we are starting from scratch. Take a look at the video and let me know what you think. I will appreciate your opinion. :thumb:

Wifey B: You do what makes you feel right. If couch (or coach) sucks, dump it. If you don't like the colors, change them. It's your and your wife's boat, so make it really yours. You're not talking about spending thousands just to change something that works fine and you don't like. You're talking about something that will change the feeling and aesthetics and make you both happier on board. :D

And for the record, it's freaking cold here in NC. 48 degrees and going down to 38 degrees. Maybe I shouldn't have worn a tshirt and booty shorts but more comfy on the ride and now in the hotel and out of them and comfy. Did have a jacket when out of the car. People look at you funny wearing shorts, tshirt and jacket but I made hubby wear the same so they thought we were both crazy. And I'm so excited to see the kids tomorrow and I don't care how cold it is. Supposed to be mid 50's. It's almost Christmas you know....:dance::dance::dance:

Christmas morning I'll get to see 111 happy smiling faces of all religious backgrounds, all ethnicities, all races, all sexes and orientations, all wonderful marvelous fantastic amazing incredible beautiful kids. :)

Yeah, I know.....way way way way way off topic, but had to insert it and now I'll figure out a way to tie it all together and back to the topic. Watch this and learn from a pro. :rofl:

The point is listen to advice, but do what makes you happy. If it means making some changes so it really feels like yours, then do so. You're really talking minor stuff in the course of things. Colorful pillows, paintings, crazy knick knack one of you loves for who knows what reason. And have fun. Fun fun fun. ;)

If couch (or coach) sucks, dump it. If you don't like the colors, change them.

Haven't you heard Coach manufactures couches now. LOL

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom