Beneteau Swift Trawler 44

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Any LED lights operating when inverter is being used?
Reports / warnings that some LEDs cause interference.
After replacing our salon lights we find TV reception is lost in some conditions when certain lights are turned on. So far haven't experienced VHF interference.

Any LED lights operating when inverter is being used?
Reports / warnings that some LEDs cause interference.
After replacing our salon lights we find TV reception is lost in some conditions when certain lights are turned on. So far haven't experienced VHF interference.

All lighting is DC. Issue is only when the inverter is turned on.

Questions for you Beneteau Experts:

Isn't the 44 and the 42 pretty much the same size? Differences?

And, where is the grill? Is there a built in outdoor one?

And, is there shore power supply both aft and forward?

Thinking of selling my Mainship 400 and getting the Beneteau. Those boats are quite similar.

The 44

Thinking of selling my Mainship 400 and getting the Beneteau. Those boats are quite similar.

Costs more.

It is not the OAL, it is the WLL that is important.
For example, my 2008 AT is listed as a 34ft. The current 36 is the same hull but, they count the swim platform making it a 36.

MANY current boats are adding in the swim platform making their boat 2ft longer.

I think its the same hull but the rest was redesigned

On the ST44 the grill is on the fly bridge if equipped (optional fridge on the grilling station too) I think sink is standard

On the ST 44 the shore power is on the stern, high up. Actually wish it was lower.

After scanning through some of the opinions regarding Beneteau's Swift Trawlers I wanted to "weigh in" with our experience after owning a 44' for almost a year. Boating both in the SF bay as well as coastal offshore. We LOVE her! I was a sailor for 25+ years before making a jump to Trawlers. There are some opinions here about the seaworthiness and stability. I can say after a number of 35 Knot winds opposing 5-7 knot ebb tides in the "slot" Several coastal adventures including a recent trip which included an "uphill" run from Santa Cruz in a 9' swell, she handles beautifully. She is so stable that my wife who is new to boating (and said originally she wouldn't go out the Golden Gate for 2 years) is now an advocate of "going out" and often is at the helm coming back through the Main ship channel, often with 6-8 foot following seas. The interior is well done, the Galley roomy, and after 400 hours we haven't seen any structural issues which has included a number of "bay beatings". The twin Volvo 300HP Penta's perform flawlessly with great economy in the 8-10 knot range and if you want to "get there fast" they can get her up to 22-24 knots (conditions permitting) We have retro-fitted several small issues like adding grab rails on the fly-bridge, upgrading the anchor to a 65' Manson. Overall an excellent experience.

All boats have their place and intended use. The Beneteau Swift trawlers are great entertaining and short to mid range weekenders with a lot of cool options. You could have bought a Nordhavn but probably would have gone nuts trying to get any distance in the amount of time that is available to you. It sounds like you bought the right boat for your purpose.

Congratulations and Enjoy!

It is not the OAL, it is the WLL that is important.
For example, my 2008 AT is listed as a 34ft. The current 36 is the same hull but, they count the swim platform making it a 36.

MANY current boats are adding in the swim platform making their boat 2ft longer.

What's an OAL and WLL?

I think its the same hull but the rest was redesigned

On the ST44 the grill is on the fly bridge if equipped (optional fridge on the grilling station too) I think sink is standard

On the ST 44 the shore power is on the stern, high up. Actually wish it was lower.

Mystery and other owners,

Thanks. Is there a washer/dryer or a place for one? And seems like the 44 has a larger flybridge overhang for possible kayaks, etc.

And the 44 does not have a port door across from the lower helm, but the 42 does. Seems that would be awful handy for solo docking.

And do these boats really to 25 knots at 1 mpg like the brochure says? That would sure be nice when someone's chasing me.

Thanks. Is there a washer/dryer or a place for one? And seems like the 44 has a larger flybridge overhang for possible kayaks, etc.

And the 44 does not have a port door across from the lower helm, but the 42 does. Seems that would be awful handy for solo docking.

And do these boats really to 25 knots at 1 mpg like the brochure says? That would sure be nice when someone's chasing me.

Huge fly bridge, especially with no dinghy. Room for kayaks either way.
Washer/dryer option in 2nd stateroom, instead of hanging closet.
Yes, under ideal conditions I’ve had her up to 26 knots!

Last edited:

Washer/dryer is an option. Typically goes in the guest stateroom and eats up most of the drawers. I did not care for having one even though I was on the boat for most of the past year because I had enough clothes to last a few weeks and would just do one big trip to whatever marina I was at laundry room. I heard the combo washer/dryers are not that great and can't handle large loads. I also have a dog that sheds and like to keep hair minimal so I prefer a regular dryer to collect the dog hair especially from bedding.

I have seen people get brackets for hanging kayaks off the fly bridge on either side. I have to look into that as we plan to get two kayaks next season. I don't know if they would mount on the over hang, side bridge side, or rail (if rail, I dont know if they can support the weight). I have also seen them laid on the port walk way and even strapped down on the bow either side. I like to try to distribute the weight because more of the storage is on the port side including the dinghy, cabinets in salon, cockpit under seat storage, and galley. I was carrying a large amount of spare tools, parts, and supplies that ended up on the port side, causing a slight list but that was because I was doing 4,000 miles of travel and wanted to be very prepared. It was mostly resolved when I removed the extra items and re-organized. I really did have a ton of stuff including barrels of oil, extra fluids for transmission, coolant, etc, the list goes on.

I solo docked many times on the ST44. I usually requested a dock stern-in starboard side tie. Some times I have had to do bow-in to keep access to the side door. Rare I had to do stern-in port side tie but its happened a couple times and I required docking assistance in those cases.

25-26 knots is top-end, depending on conditions (wind, currents, seas, etc), load, and whether bimini top is deployed. You will probably see .9mpg maybe 1mpg if you are lucky. I would not run at that speed often. I think Volvo says 1 hour every 8 is fine. I tend to exercise her by going up to WOT (3630 rpm) for a minute, then running 5 minutes at 3500 rpm (what engine is rated for), 5 minutes at 3400, 5 minutes at 3300, and then cruise at 3000-3250 rpm or some times hull speed at a lower rpm). If you do decide to follow Volvo who says 1 hour per 8 at WOT is fine, I would stick to 3500rpm max and try to break it up so 30 mins every 4 hours. Volvo also says 90% of top RPM is fine for cruise so 3250 is usually a pretty even #. I would say a more realistic higher speed cruise is 20 knots and that would again vary on conditions, load, and whether or not the bimini top is deployed. I was in some strong currents on some rivers that slowed me down almost 10 mph. Removing that extreme, you will probably lose 1-2mph with bimini top deployed, gain or lose 1-2 mph for going with/against a typical current, same for wind. I just did a trip I had done a couple months ago. The first time, I was with the tide and wind, and was at 25-26mph, absolutely ideal conditions. I averaged 1 mpg and that was at 3250 rpm. At 3000 rpm I think I was a tick over 1mpg and 23mph. This more recent time I was against the wind and current and was at 22mph at about .9-95 mpg at 3250 rpm and I think 18-19mph was .95-1mpg at 3000 rpm but can't recall. Brochures, Boattest #s, and what the manufacturer says the boat can do is not usually real world. Full tank of fuel, water, gear, people, currents, wind, seas, etc, all need to be considered.

Last edited:
WLL Water line length
OAL Over all length

OAL Overall length
WLL Waterline length
LOA Length overall

There's another being tossed in a lot now too. Deck length. The length without appendages such as swim platforms and anchor pulpits.

There's another being tossed in a lot now too. Deck length. The length without appendages such as swim platforms and anchor pulpits.

Ah, so many ways to deceive the buyer. LOL
Unless the owner can find someone willing to sleep on the swim platform, the only reason to count it is, because every other builder it doing it. Plus, you rent a slip by the foot, the harbor master may come out and remeasure your boat to include the swim platform.
Although my boat is documented as a 34.5, throw in the swim platform then, I have a 36.5ft boat.

Last edited:
Good info and thx for replying.

Re the washer/dryer... it's a must for me. After doing the loop with the Splendide combo washer/dryer I loved it. Very easy to just throw a small load in and forget about it. Very easy and worked very well. And, I HATE laundromats. Nothing worse that waiting for clothes to wash or dry. Reminds me of college days when I was broke. If I had to go to a laundromat, I'd never wash my clothes. Just by new and throw the dirty ones out.

The speeds sound great. Anyone have that experience with the Yanmar? I'm going for the Yanmar as I'm just not a fan of Volvo.... been there and had bad experience with three engines. Yanmar has been great and great support.

As for the kayak on the boat, sounds doable.

Thx for all the replies!

Good info and thx for replying.

Re the washer/dryer... it's a must for me. After doing the loop with the Splendide combo washer/dryer I loved it. Very easy to just throw a small load in and forget about it. Very easy and worked very well. And, I HATE laundromats. Nothing worse that waiting for clothes to wash or dry. Reminds me of college days when I was broke. If I had to go to a laundromat, I'd never wash my clothes. Just by new and throw the dirty ones out.

The speeds sound great. Anyone have that experience with the Yanmar? I'm going for the Yanmar as I'm just not a fan of Volvo.... been there and had bad experience with three engines. Yanmar has been great and great support.

As for the kayak on the boat, sounds doable.

Thx for all the replies!

I hate laundromats too. I was suggesting that many marinas have machines. I'd put in a load, go have a drink or run an errand, come back switch, work on the boat, and then pick up my clothes. Usually didnt have to walk far and didnt spend much time because I only did maybe three loads of laundry every three weeks usually at the same time as long as the marina had multiple machines. To each their own.

This thread is about the ST44 so I dont know how much insight you are going to get on the ST42. I agree that Volvo's support stinks. I have owned many boats and they couldnt answer simple questions for me and kept saying ask or go to a dealer. Other manufacturers have been more helpful. Their dealer network is also weak and parts expensive.

Mystery,

Thanks much. Realize this is about the 44 which I may end up with but pushing my budget for this size boat. Seems like they are VERY similar and a really clean 42 seems like it would fit my needs well. It's very interesting learning the differences.

Thanks for the info!

There is a 42 for sale here. I`m thinking of a change, but learning from TF about the 44, which I assume is an improved version of the 42,makes me me nervous. At least with this one, the added issue of Volvo engines and their turbos and exhaust systems is absent. That aside, it looks a lovely comfortable cruising boat reasonably priced.
https://www.boatsales.com.au/boats/details/2004-BENETEAU-SWIFT-TRAWLER-42/OAG-AD-16154511/?cr=0&gts=OAG-AD-16154511&gtssaleid=OAG-AD-16154511&gtsviewtype=Showcase&psq=%28%28Service%3D%5BBoatsales%5D%26%28Make%3D%5BBeneteau%5D%26Model%3D%5BSWIFT%20TRAWLER%2042%5D%29%29%26%28%28%28SiloType%3D%5BDealer%20used%20boats%5D%7CSiloType%3D%5BDealer%20new%20boats%5D%29%7CSiloType%3D%5BPrivate%20used%20boats%5D%29%7CSiloType%3D%5BDemo%20and%20near%20new%20boats%5D%29%29&pso=0&pss=Premium

Hi Bruce,
I like the mention about the props and rudder being concealed from damage and the ability to park her on the beach. Taking this feature to extremes could one possibly consider actually 'parking' her on the beach at some of those less than comfortable anchorages?
Imagine no rockin' n rollin' overnight at some of those crappy anchorages we all encounter.
Would she really sit flat so you could walk about the boat between tides ? or just flop over and sit at an angle and be impractable.

Hi Bruce,
I like the mention about the props and rudder being concealed from damage and the ability to park her on the beach. Taking this feature to extremes could one possibly consider actually 'parking' her on the beach at some of those less than comfortable anchorages?
Imagine no rockin' n rollin' overnight at some of those crappy anchorages we all encounter.
Would she really sit flat so you could walk about the boat between tides ? or just flop over and sit at an angle and be impracticable.
I doubt anything would save the rock & roll of that little Bay we tried, for the first and last time. Though I did stop there briefly last week to check a newly replaced fuel line "issue", now resolved.
Wonder how the hull would deal with the uneven loadings of beaching? I think it`s common practice in the(?non tidal) San Francisco Delta, I don`t see it done here.

I doubt anything would save the rock & roll of that little Bay we tried, for the first and last time. Though I did stop there briefly last week to check a newly replaced fuel line "issue", now resolved.
Wonder how the hull would deal with the uneven loadings of beaching? I think it`s common practice in the(?non tidal) San Francisco Delta, I don`t see it done here.

The San Francisco Delta is tidal. Maybe less so when you get further inland. I had a duck club on Grizzly Island for many years so this I am sure of. The water is brackish which, means it's a mix of fresh and salt water. So it is open to the bay. I know this because I used to take my boat from Redwood City to my club on Montezuma Slough and sometimes all the way up to Sacramento. They did put a lock at one end of Montezuma Slough to keep the salt water out. They call it a salinity gate. That would definitely reduce the tidal action but it was just at one end of the slough. The other end was open to Grizzly Bay, which was connected to San Pablo Bay by way of the Suisun Straights if my memory is correct. And San Pablo Bay connects to San Francisco Bay. Then you have a whole other entrance to the delta by way of Pittsburg all the way up to Stockton. There is a lot of great cruising in the San Francisco Bay Delta. I remember how fast those sloughs would run when the tide was running.

I spent all cruising season of 2018 on the water in Washington and British Columbia. No marinas, anchored in coves. I was surprised that I was never bothered by rocking at anchor like I did in my Carver C34. The slightest wind waves and the Carver would go sideways to the waves and rock and roll to such an extent that it was very uncomfortable. When at anchor my NP45 goes nose to the wind and is completely comfortable even in 20 knot winds. My Carver had a planing hull and my North Pacific is a trawler with a semi displacement hull. The only thing that I can figure is that planing hulls do not do well at anchor. I don't know what kind of a hull the swift trawlers have but my guess is more of a planing hull than semi displacement. So they can get up and go. My North Pacific cruises at 8 knots with a max of 11 knots. It's slow but very comfortable. The one thing that I miss with a SD hull is being able to run faster than a following sea. A following sea can be very uncomfortable in a slow trawler! I never thought anything of it in my Carver. Just bump up the speed and enjoy a smooth ride. Can't do that in a slow trawler. Everything is a compromise with a boat.

If anyone has a rear cockpit enclosure, rear cockpit seat cover, or windshield covers that they are not using and want to sell, please do let me know! Preferred color is grey but won't be too picky! Thanks!

Happy New Year!

What sort of maintenance is needed on the shaft seal? Someone told me it needs to be burped or greased or something? Do any parts need to be replaced? I can watch a youtube if someone can please point me in the right direction!

Thanks!

Another question: has anyone found a pennant or flag pole or rod holder mount that fits the upper rail on the bow? If I am measuring correct the rails are between 1 5/16" and 1 6/16" which is an odd size. Most mounts I have found are up to 1 inch, a couple can do 1 1/4". Trying to mount a yacht club pennant. Other alternative is to fly it from the mast... Thanks!

I have custom stairs that I will be listing for sale in the for sale section.

They allow dogs of all sizes easy access up to and down from the flybridge of the Swift Trawler 44. Custom made by Lamb's Yacht Center in Jacksonville Florida.

They fit right over the existing steps, are made of a composite product, light weight, and gel coated to match the boat. They weigh ~30 lbs and can be easily moved/stored elsewhere on the boat, or ashore. I left them on all of the time and both people and dogs used them regularly. In addition to being able to easily walk around them and still use the transom door, they also created a nice storage space between them and the factory stairs, where we stowed our dinghy's gas containers. You can also open the propane locker enough to control the propane valve with them in-place.

I have custom stairs that I will be listing for sale in the for sale section.

They allow dogs of all sizes easy access up to and down from the flybridge of the Swift Trawler 44. Custom made by Lamb's Yacht Center in Jacksonville Florida.

They fit right over the existing steps, are made of a composite product, light weight, and gel coated to match the boat. They weigh ~30 lbs and can be easily moved/stored elsewhere on the boat, or ashore. I left them on all of the time and both people and dogs used them regularly. In addition to being able to easily walk around them and still use the transom door, they also created a nice storage space between them and the factory stairs, where we stowed our dinghy's gas containers. You can also open the propane locker enough to control the propane valve with them in-place.

https://www.trawlerforum.com/forums/s68/custom-dog-stairs-beneteau-swift-trawler-44-a-62737.html

reduced asking price to $4,000 OBO. New they are $14,000!

Back
Top Bottom