Tools and where to put them?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

w8n4sun

Vessel Name
Mabuhay
Vessel Make
Grand Alaskan
Coming from a large garage, with car and motorcycle lifts, and associated large tool boxes - the boat we just bought just doesn't have enough room to move tool boxes into. What creative methods have you done to accommodate tools and parts in your engine rooms or lazarette?

Pics would be appreciated to give me a better understanding of the creativity amongst this group. Thanks!

We had one stateroom that was very rarely used, so I used the various drawers an cubbies in there as well as the upper berth for tool storage. When we did have someone up there we could move a few things temporarily out of the way, usually into the ensuite shower of that room and the occupant(s) shared a shower with the other guest SR that was not ensuite.

No room in your ER to mount something on the wall? We had some small parts(screws and bolts) cabinets in there.This on a Hatteras 56MY. Kept bulk spares like filters in the generator room in large plastic storage tubs.

Hard to comment without knowing you boat's layout and what other things and people occupy it.

I have built in seating with storage in the saloon. Designated one under seat storage area for tools. Like my tools rust free and the saloon has a dehumidifier. Designated another under seat storage area for spare parts. Have a storage space under the stairs just for filters. Only parts stored in the engine room are consumed liquids and funnels. Lazarette is where I store plastic gallons of other liquids.

For me, having a wide selection of spares is important. Storing them in an easily accessible dry humidity controlled place so they are useable when needed, is equally important.

Ted

Greetings,
Mr. w8. You have a 60' boat and no room for tools???? I suggest rather than looking to be creative about where to store your tools I would re-asses the tools you want to have on board.

I will admit having tools and spares spread throughout our vessel gives me a certain amount of concern in that I'd really like to have them more or less in the same place which is an issue I am going to address this winter in a major re-org'. I may even offload some tools.

When we downsized our generator I was able to put some tool storage under the generator platform. Used the lockable style heavy duty sliders ($$) but was relatively easy to do. Not a great photo (it was of the generator) but you get the general idea.

Attachments

• Tool Storage 2.jpg
    Tool Storage 2.jpg
    97.7 KB · Views: 207
Greetings,
Mr. w8. You have a 60' boat and no room for tools???? I suggest rather than looking to be creative about where to store your tools I would re-asses the tools you want to have on board.

I will admit having tools and spares spread throughout our vessel gives me a certain amount of concern in that I'd really like to have them more or less in the same place which is an issue I am going to address this winter in a major re-org'. I may even offload some tools.

That is what I was thinking. We have plenty of room on our 41’ for tools, I just have them in about 3 different storage areas since they won’t fit into any one area.

Yes, there is room to spread out all over the boat, but it would be ideal to be able to house a toolbox or two. That probauwont work so I’ll have to figure out where to place bins or small toolboxes throughout the lazarette and engine room.

This one came with extra fuel capacity (1500 gallons) which take up a lot of space in the ER. I’ll figure out what tools are a must vs like to have. I’m used to knowing where each tool, socket, specialty tool is stored so I’m sure it will be a work in progress to set this up.

I keep all my tools in heavy waxed canvas bags covered with oil stains in the engine . I transport my carpenter tools from home to the boat also in a heavy duty waxed canvas bag .I keep a separate bag for electrical tools and stuff separate from mechanic or carpenter tools.

Last edited:
2 canvas bags. 1 for engine tools and another for electrical.
Easy to move around and not to heavy.
Engine tools generally stay in the engine bay. Duh. Wrenches, sockets, pry bars, nutdrivers. Electrical in a cupboard in the salon. Screwdrivers, pliers, cutters, crimpers. Of course you always have over lap. Couple screwdrivers in both, adj. wrenches ....
A 5 gallon bucket for hauling 1 time use stuff and parts back and forth.

I store tools under a bench in the saloon and spare parts in compartment under the bed. Regular list of hand tools, like wrenches, drivers, hammer, electricity fix tools etc. Small items in stackable plastic boxes, larger in a small size toolbox.

L

The thing about the boat is the tools are required all over the place. Not like the home garage where you bring the jitem to the garage to work on it. So two things arw needed for me anyway. Canvas bag is the new tool box as i sure dont want hard metal dinging the place up, and second is where to store it them.

Dosent seem to matter where i put the tools, they are never in the place i need them. I do have a good spot with power and a shelf below, i keep the power tool charger and extra batery ready there. So less of a holy room and more flexibility to grab what i need for whatever job is required.

Greetings,
Mr. w8. I have to laugh. At myself AND fellow TF members. Nope, it ISN'T like a garage or workshop where one has the freedom to spread storage out a bit but still keep everything more or less in one location. Canvas totes, stackable storage bins, nooks and crannies. I also share, what I sense is, a similar frustration of having "stuff" spread all over.

Gee, I only need ONE more small cabin, say 3'X5'x6' high with shelving and I'd be able to stow everything together. Well, as long as I'm wishing, how about 5'X7'X6' high so I can also set up a small workbench with a good vice and a drill press. I could stow my air compressor underneath....Hahaha....

Actually, the compressor is fine where it is (in the ER) as I have enough hose to reach anywhere on the boat and I DO love my air tools...Which are stowed in a lidded bin in the guest cabin on the starboard side locker...

I can’t seem to have enough tools, especially when I plan projects. Thankfully, I’ve got lots of room to store them, but that’ll probably change when we’re full time cruising and the Admiral has her shoe collection aboard.:rolleyes:

Several valid points are brought up... having the tool where it is needed is important. Aboard our 40'er we had a couple of wrenches (one was notched for impeller removal) down where they were needed. These items were tied to the bulkhead using 1/8" braided line.

If you are like me you will find several items become your Go-To tools. For instance, aboard Seaweed many projects can be solved by using these few tools: Phillips and standard screwdrivers, a small set of sockets and ratchet (1/4" drive), vise grips, a knife, wrenches, multimeter and infrared thermometer. My neighbor can't manage without his adjustable wrench (for me it's the vise grips)

Those items will need to be easily accessible.

As for your tool chests and such w8n4sun... well, I don't know that I would want to have metal tool boxes due to the rust factor. Even if your boat is perfect, the salty environment can wreck havoc.

A 36'er I worked aboard last year had one large battery box for the engine room tools. That was handy, having them all organized in one spot.

Mine are scattered. One locker has the most frequently used items. I had the end cut out of one of my dinette bench seats so that I could access the locker without moving the cushions. It's easier.

ToolLocker.jpg

The inside:
ToolsStowed.jpg

Sure, it would be nice to have matching plastic containers. For now though, this works well. Calder's is just to the right, with further back there two plastic folders filled with the paperwork from my gear.

The paperwork is sorted, alphabetically:
Paperwork.jpg

Whatever your setup becomes w8n4sun, I have never heard any larger boat owner regret having a permanently mounted bench vise. If you're really lucky a bench grinder can be a nice addition too. All the best to you.

Happy Boating.

Janice,

You have a challenger with that cute small trawler you have, but you seem to be extremely organized and handy. When are you coming to the Legion again? Been looking for you.

For me, I have about 8 to 10 places for tools depending on where they are needed and how frequently. My "go to" box has all the basic stuff of the day to day minor tweaks, including my meter. I have a tool bag for bigger things, and for bigger things yet, I store them in a cabinet or drawer. All the consumables, hardware, wiring, etc are stored in plastic containers. the light weight stuff like filters, belts, etc and in a box on the flybridge.

I built a box with compartments over the rudder which give a lot of space for parts, oil, etc in the lazarette.

I also have a written directory of where everything is. So, if I search for 18g red wire, or a #8 truss head, 1.5 in long screw, I know where it is.

Ya just can't have too many tools.

When we bought our Defever, the two house banks (two 8Ds per bank) were in large fiberglass boxes outboard of the mains. I consolidated the batteries (no longer 8Ds) into a single house bank and relocated them aft. I use the boxes to store bulky, infrequently used tools—like bolt cutters, lug tool and die grinder—along with spares. Still looking for a good spot for a regular toolchest.

Attachments

• 4D9170B5-97C6-4B30-8BC6-3C671596DCF3.jpeg
    4D9170B5-97C6-4B30-8BC6-3C671596DCF3.jpeg
    114.3 KB · Views: 119
For commonly used hand tools, I've found I hardly use more than 1-2 on any job. I use sealable kitchenware bins and leave them near the area where they work, For example, socket wrenches for checking engine room anodes stay next to engine, hydraulics etc.
Keep all battery run and power tools in sealed bins in pilothouse which has better heat/humidity control.

Most of mine are in a canvas bags in compartments under the side doors.

Supplies such as electrical connectors, wire etc are in plastic boxes or bins in various locations.

I have much more than I need aboard, until I need something else. Then hopefully someone on the dock or in the anchorage has it.

I keep many of my tools in canvas bags--one with an assortment of tools for most minor jobs, another with sockets and wrenches for engine work, one specifically for impeller changes with all the needed dedicated tools (engine and genset), one for lights and lighting, one for the dinghy and engine, and one for canvas and snaps. These are kept under the saloon seating.

Many smaller spares for plumbing, electrical are in a set of compartmented Stanley storage cases. Filters are under the companionway steps. Engine and genset spares are under the island queen.

I used a small three drawer chest in a locker near the ER. It was jam packed to overflowing but along with a plastic box for oil filter and stuffing box wrenches I had everything I needed to care for twin Cummins and a 44' boat. Every time I did work I left the required tools on board but only that tool. I didn't need an entire 1/2" socket set just the ones for the engines
Electrical stuff, canvas stuff and spares were under a bunk in a large plastic bin.

I learned to rethink my tool selection and keep only what was absolutely required.

Last edited:
Makes a big difference depending on:
1) If you are living aboard and/or cruising full time.
2)where you are cruising
3) where you are on the "marina vs anchor/mooring" scale.
4) your skill set and DIY vs use-a-pro preferences.

We had a lot of tools aboard because the answer to 1 was yes, 2 was we preferred "wilderness" locations, 3 anchored or took moorings as much as possible 4) I don't enjoy, so thus not very good at woodwork, painting, varnishing, fiberglass or canvass work, so had almost no tools on board for any of that (though kept cans of matching coatings). I am happy to do basic engine PM and simple repair, plus plumbing and electrical, so had and lots of that stuff.

The 80-20 rule certainly applied, maybe more like 90-10; but I was sure glad I had a usable tool at hand when I needed it on those somewhat rare occasions. Lots of times when we didn't have to truncate a cruise due to having to get to civilization to fix an issue.

I have a lot of tools on board and many spare parts. I do not have one location for all my tools and parts. I am a firm believer that if I keep a water pump impeller puller and spare impeller on board I will never have to change it while cruising.

My most common tools live in a bag in a drawer. Under the dinette seats Is a good place to store my less used tools and parts. All my boats have had storage in the flybridge eyebrow. This has also been a good place to store tools and parts.

I also have many tools and spare parts on board. I have a plastic toolbox that sits in engine room which contains larger and less often used tools. For "normal use" I found a high quality tool "kit" which contains 1/4, 3/8 and 1/2" drive sets and a set of wrenches all in both metric and SAE. This set covers 99% of whatever I need to do. In addition I have a complete set of electrical tools, various wire and wire fittings. I have a lot of nooks and crannies to store the various items. To keep track of everything and to make sure I HAD what I actually wanted to have I created a spreadsheet which among other things lists all tools and spares and where they are located. Of course the tools I use most often are the most handy.

Ken

When we bought our Defever, the two house banks (two 8Ds per bank) were in large fiberglass boxes outboard of the mains. I consolidated the batteries (no longer 8Ds) into a single house bank and relocated them aft. I use the boxes to store bulky, infrequently used tools—like bolt cutters, lug tool and die grinder—along with spares. Still looking for a good spot for a regular toolchest.

Angus,

This is definitely a thread drift but perhaps more important than where to store tools. I note the plaque with your documentation number in your engine room. When I was inspected by the CG AUX they pointed out that my documentation number was not preceded by "No." It should read:
"No. 950480." They told me the fine could be as much as $10K. I don't see the logic however I ordered a new plaque. :confused:

Angus,

This is definitely a thread drift but perhaps more important than where to store tools. I note the plaque with your documentation number in your engine room. When I was inspected by the CG AUX they pointed out that my documentation number was not preceded by "No." It should read:
"No. 950480." They told me the fine could be as much as $10K. I don't see the logic however I ordered a new plaque. :confused:

Howard, I appreciate the heads-up and definitely will look into it. Sounds like an overzealous bureaucrat, but who knows? I assume a PO installed it and—if it’s a problem—it definitely won’t be the first we inherited. :)

I keep tools and spares under stairways and steps. Also around the outside of drawers in cabinets. This leaves the drawers and cabinets open for clothes, food, utensils and silverware. I just have to remember where I put what tools.

One CAUTION when storing tools...
Know where your flux gate compass is located and be careful if locating tool storage anywhere near it.
If in doubt do some before & after checks.
Under fwd steps is handy & out of the way for me but I've had to move tools from there and find other places.

One CAUTION when storing tools...
Know where your flux gate compass is located and be careful if locating tool storage anywhere near it.
If in doubt do some before & after checks.
Under fwd steps is handy & out of the way for me but I've had to move tools from there and find other places.

Don, you beat me to the reminder! I can't remember how many times I've gone aboard owners boats complaining of poor autopilot performance. The first question I ask is "where's your tool box?" Vacuum cleaners are hard on a pilot too...lot's of times they get stored in a cabinet or locker right next to the fluxgate compass.

We use the "spread out" approach, and several small boxes. The two in the engine room hold most everything we need down there, and both act as seats. One in the saloon storage is all electrical supplies and tools. Two smaller ones in different saloon storage are hold basic general purpose stuff that I'm likely to need occasionally for above deck projects; one of those is very basic but solves most small chores, while the other is larger and sometimes augments the smaller box.

I'm not above a few duplicates here and there, in case a particular socket or whatever is useful above and below.

Then there are a few (mostly battery-operated) electrical tools, mostly in saloon storage, mostly in their own bag/box/whatever. Camera snake, heat gun, socket driver, etc.

-Chris

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom