Pics from our first night on the hook!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Great trip for kids! Get 'em skills when they're young!

Plus weather there much better than Charlotte. We've been stuck in Charlotte since boat on the hard the last 2 months.

The problem with Johns Pass area that its like being stuck on the side of the I275. There is so much traffic as it is one of the main passes to the gulf.

There are much more quieter and relaxed spots than there.

We spend a lot of time out on the hook in Tampa Bay.

Anchoring off Gulfport is fun. Quaint little town.
Up the Manatee of Snell point is usually quiet. The wind decides what side of the river to drop the hook.
Bird Key of Terra Ceia Bay is also great, little tight getting in.

Try some of those next time.

Enjoy

Bird Key looks awesome! We’re going there tonight.

We spend a lot of time out on the hook in Tampa Bay.

Anchoring off Gulfport is fun. Quaint little town.
Up the Manatee of Snell point is usually quiet. The wind decides what side of the river to drop the hook.
Bird Key of Terra Ceia Bay is also great, little tight getting in.

Try some of those next time.

Enjoy

Gulfort is one of out favorite towns, too. We ended up staying there a month at anchor while on our way to the Bahamas in 2015. We just loved it so much!

Enjoy

Anchor up on the east side of the island.
Watch as it gets shallow in some areas

RE: wind and waves from different directions. We spent March - Oct. all over the Bahamas, anchoring most nights, and were sometimes stunned at how much some swells would wrap around an island. More than 150 degrees in some cases, and no, I'm not making that up! But unfortunately, we never discovered the magic formula that will tell you ahead of time, so we would always go to a spot, and if the swell was wrapping, we either put up with the roll, or moved. Sometimes the cruising guides will indicate a particular anchorage as being rolly, but certainly not always.

Enjoy

Anchor up on the east side of the island.
Watch as it gets shallow in some areas

We did and it was incredible. It was total glass and really beautiful. Thank you so much for the recommendation.

Attachments

• 65FD4B1B-C59A-4BFE-96B7-BC22B71EF1AC.jpg
    65FD4B1B-C59A-4BFE-96B7-BC22B71EF1AC.jpg
    68 KB · Views: 53
  • B57D5177-F21B-49A3-A79D-4480F601BDCD.jpeg
    B57D5177-F21B-49A3-A79D-4480F601BDCD.jpeg
    126.8 KB · Views: 59
You are welcome

I am glad you enjoyed it, there are not that many secluded spots you can get a larger boat into in Tampa Bay.

Because we have similar colors on our boats, I thought you might like to see my new custom dinghy I am waiting delivery on.

Attachments

• Happy Life.jpg
    Happy Life.jpg
    96.4 KB · Views: 56
You are welcome

I am glad you enjoyed it, there are not that many secluded spots you can get a larger boat into in Tampa Bay.

Because we have similar colors on our boats, I thought you might like to see my new custom dinghy I am waiting delivery on.

Love it! That’s sharp!

Yeah it’s amazing. Unfortunately we were only able to do it a couple of times last year with our Mainship because the gas genny was unreliable. Of course I finally fixed it right before we sold it.

This boat being all diesel so far has been super reliable. We are planning on anchoring as often as possible.

Man generator issues with a Mainship, that brings some flashbacks.

I finally replaced the gas generator with a kabota diesel, (be sure to get the model with explosion-proof (gas install), alternator, and starter).

I put a small 30gal tank behind the batteries, and the fill line (clearly marked diesel), above swim platform.

Runs like a clock. The best $10k I ever spent.

Back
Top Bottom