New to Forum

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

B757

Vessel Name
undetermined
Vessel Make
1988 37 President
Hi, I recently acquired a 1988 37 ft President. It has been up on blocks for 4 yrs, but was in running condition when parked. It seems to be in O K shape, except sitting with no care except for cold weather prep. It has 225 Lehman diesels . I will be spending the winter getting her operational for the spring. Any advise/ experiences etc. with a President would be helpful and appreciated. Thanjs

Welcome aboard. We have a 41’ President with SP225s. We have had it for about 3 years now.

Greetings,
Welcome aboard. Do the engines run? No President specific suggestions but concentrate on the mechanical stuff first. You've got a lot to do.

So far put new starter battery in, they both turn over. Just got in primary and secondary fuel filters in, and will install those. Bought Lehman manual and is user friendly so am following procedures in before start section. I will get with one of the yard mechanics before actually try to start them to make sure haven't missed anything. Hoping for the best. You are right, there is alot to do. Thanks

These are some things to do before trying to start an engine that has been sitting for years:

Change the raw water impeller and squirt some liquid soap on it to help prime and lubricate the impeller before it pulls water through it.

First bar over the engine by hand so you know it is is free before attempting starting.

Before firing up, engage the stop valve and crank until you see oil pressure.

Change the Racor filter and pump the manual bleed until you get fuel up to the injection pump.

Fuel injector racks can stick and cause high rpm runaway. Disconnect linkage and make sure that the rack is free before starting.

David

Welcome aboard TF
Lots of good folks and info here.

Another Welcome!

Does it have teak decks?

Are the fuel tanks the original black iron?

How is the electrical wiring?

Leaks?

Did you have a survey?

Welcome 757!

I'm sure you know that this will be a project for several months, if not a few years.

David has good advise.

I could argue to change ALL consumables, oil, batts, impellers, belts, filters etc. Be sure all sea cocks are in excellent condition... much easier to change on the hard. Change any old or suspect hose or line, especially fuel.

I'd look close at appliances, like water pump, alternator, etc, and be ready to change if they done work.

Check carefully for corrosion or obvious leaky fittings and clean up and replace as needed.

the goal to get as far ahead of the boat as you can in the beginning.

Also, did you have a survey and if you did, address the survey items.

Keep us posted.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom