SE Alaska Trip (video)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Reo Baird

Vessel Name
First Sight
Vessel Make
62' Striker
This was a couple summers ago now, but was just reminiscing and figured I'd share with you all the video I made from this trip.

Three favorite spots:

Baird Glacier: firstly, named after me :D. Aside from that, we were able to land at a small beach up near the glacial melt pools and hike on the glacier. Really cool spot, recommend.

Ice caves at Mendenhall glacier. Bit of a hike, and some danger.. recommend bringing a helmet but wouldn't miss it!

White Sulpher Hotsprings (and associated anchorage): Amazing spot, only attempt in settled weather and be careful on anchorage entry, but very worthwhile. Draft limited, recommend entry at high tide.

awesome. Thanks for sharing. Was one view Tracey Arm and Sawyer Glacier.

Nice video, thanks for sharing and welcome to the forum :)

Nat Geo worthy video quality. Nice work!

White Sulpher Hotsprings (and associated anchorage): Amazing spot, only attempt in settled weather and be careful on anchorage entry, but very worthwhile. Draft limited, recommend entry at high tide.[/QUOTE]

Here is the anchorage for White Sulfur Springs.

Untitled-1.jpg

White Sulpher Hotsprings (and associated anchorage): Amazing spot, only attempt in settled weather and be careful on anchorage entry, but very worthwhile. Draft limited, recommend entry at high tide.

Here is the anchorage for White Sulfur Springs.

Untitled-1.jpg
[/QUOTE]

It is a little daunting looking at the chart. Was in there twice in the 70’s. No GPS then!
Bow lookout, went slow and skirt the kelp. Used to be a tidal grid over to the west, pretty much in ruins when I was there. Can be busy with Fisherman during the troll season. Hot springs very nice, forest service cabin there also.

Great video, Reo. You seem pretty damn good with that drone and timelapse editing. Are you a professional in the business?

Great video, Reo. You seem pretty damn good with that drone and timelapse editing. Are you a professional in the business?
Nah, just an enthusiast. I do enjoy making the videos though, wish I had more time for it.

Hi, beautiful and well executed description, cut and music, thank you for sharing your video.

Can you tell what is a black item in the glacier, earth material or black carbon deposition or ?

NBs

Just fantastic! Thank you for taking the time to share -- Hope you have the time to do more.

Reo,

Great video! Would love to do that trip, but probably won't ever be in the cards. However, I hope to get back to Alaska again to visit. A great place to tour around... in the summer.

Your work is at a pretty high level...ever give thought to contacting the Alaska government tourism dept? Might put some fuel in your tanks!

Hi, beautiful and well executed description, cut and music, thank you for sharing your video.

Can you tell what is a black item in the glacier, earth material or black carbon deposition or ?

NBs

It is earth, simple dirt. As the icce progresses down the mountains, it exerts enormous pressure on the substrate and "bulldozes" it toward the sea. It is also carving at the sides of its mass, undercutting the mountainsides which then collapse onto the top of the moving ice.

Great video! Thanks for posting. Someday...………..

A great video and pro quality. Your Striker would be a good platform for SE AK.

Your work is at a pretty high level...ever give thought to contacting the Alaska government tourism dept? Might put some fuel in your tanks!
Thank you... that's a fun thought - sadly now that I'm back working, real long trips are probably not in the cards for a couple more years.

A great video and pro quality. Your Striker would be a good platform for SE AK.

For this trip I took my last boat which was a 49' DeFever. The striker would be nice up there, but might get chilly up in the flybridge, although with some heat routed up there and the enclosure zipped up it might not be so bad. That's the one feature of the pilothouse style I miss - the warm helm station.

This was a couple summers ago now, but was just reminiscing and figured I'd share with you all the video I made from this trip.

Three favorite spots:

Baird Glacier: firstly, named after me :D. Aside from that, we were able to land at a small beach up near the glacial melt pools and hike on the glacier. Really cool spot, recommend.

Ice caves at Mendenhall glacier. Bit of a hike, and some danger.. recommend bringing a helmet but wouldn't miss it!

Nice

:banghead:Drat Drones!!! Our secret is becoming too well known!!!!:facepalm:

80 years old and with exception of military service, all in this wonderful piece of God's intended glory. Come visit, bring your curiosity, sense of adventure, capture as this video has, the beauty as you see it through your eyes. Envy me and mine, as we enjoy this each and every day, :socool:

Al-Ketchikan :flowers:

What a beautiful film. So inspiring. Makes me dream. Thank you.

Absolutely stunning, a credit to your video skills.

Hi Reo,

Having been blown away with the sheer delight of your video, the boat featured in the video doesn't look like your Striker 62 - or am I wrong?

Best Christmas regards - Piers

Hi Reo,

Having been blown away with the sheer delight of your video, the boat featured in the video doesn't look like your Striker 62 - or am I wrong?

Best Christmas regards - Piers

My previous boat was a DeFever 49 RPH, which is the boat in the video. The striker I got last spring.

Two very different boats. So far I am enjoying the switch to the sport convertible. Much more stability, very seaworthy and more social layout (large cockpit and large salon and with the big double doors open essentially it's one space). Being able to get up and run when desired is also nice. The one thing I miss is the enclosed pilothouse. The striker wouldn't be as ideal up in Alaska where it gets quite chilly at times.

Hope you had a great holiday season!

So pleased my eyes weren't deceiving me! How dod the DeFever's hull cope with the ice?

I lived in Alaska for 16 years and miss it nearly every day. Videos like that or even hearing the Flag Song still chokes me up. God's creation is never more obvious and in your face than in Alaska. Creation sings in your ears every minute. What great work, thanks so much for posting. Some of those shots, like the glaciers calving and capturing that shock wave must have taken hours and hours of footage to grab the lucky few seconds.

I lived in Alaska for 16 years and miss it nearly every day. Videos like that or even hearing the Flag Song still chokes me up. God's creation is never more obvious and in your face than in Alaska. Creation sings in your ears every minute.

Agreed, time and again. Only been to Alaska once, and that was on a cruise ship from Vancouver to Anchorage with many stops inbetween. We spent most our time on the balcony watching the beauty of creation unfold from one spectacular vision to another. Breathtaking.

Three favorite spots:

Thank you for sharing that was fun to watch.:thumb:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom