View Single Post
Old 12-11-2018, 02:24 PM   #13
klee wyck
Guru

City: Port Townsend and La Paz
Vessel Name: Domino and Libra
Vessel Model: Malcom Tennant 20M and Noordzee Kotter 52
Thru hulls....anyone in love with these things over a 40 year span of a boats life? For me it is part of this debate. Dry exhaust and keel cooling eliminate a lot of them.

People tend to talk their own book. I have two volumes, so think about both most days. Let's assume that both of these Dutch built steel boats were 'done right' for their different cooling and exhaust systems in the power train.

Having owned both for a bit, all other things being equal, I would pay a ten percent premium at least for the dry exhaust, keel cooled boat. Although I understand not always, they tend to go together(keel cooling and dry exhaust) as do the treatment of the main(s) and gennies. The simplicity of the engine room on Libra with all spinny things keel cooled with dry exhaust is...simply stunning and refreshing. The two Mercedes (main and genny) do not seem to create a soot problem and certainly less than the diesel furnace on either boat and I do love my diesel heat. If soot, out the side or top is not a big deal to me. (no flying bridge)
The chase that holds the exhaust behind the pilot station upstairs is neither obtrusive nor loud. When standing on the finger outside the boat I need to look up at the flapper on the exhaust to see if the boat is even running. Not true on the wet exhaust on the other boat that I can hear from 10 slips away. And so what, the low rumble of power is sort of pleasing to me in some odd way.
This is a lot like the question of steel versus plastic..... I say drive what makes you happy. There is not likely one right answer or all boats would be built the same. My boat is always the best....wanna buy it?