View Single Post
Old 12-11-2018, 10:02 AM   #7
Ski in NC
Technical Guru

City: Wilmington, NC
Vessel Name: Louisa
Vessel Model: Custom Built 38
Dry exhaust stack has a certain "coolness factor" that I really like.

I like to hear (a little) "stack talk". Better than the woosh woosh or gargle from a wet exhaust.

But dang that Harkers boat with 4-53 Detroit with dry stack was just plain LOUD.

It is a challenge to do dry stack right. You have to build in flex pipe, it has to be properly insulated, muffler has to be well chosen and mechanically supported, box tends to intrude into interior, gots to keep water out of stack and muffler chase, and yes, some soot.

Stack fires are real too. Had a stack fire on one boat doing sea trials. Boat had logged lots of hours at putt-putt speed, loaded the muffler with goo and soot. Powered up and flames and sparks out the stack, muffler and pipe red hot. Fortunately nothing was in a wooden chase or we could have had quite the fire. We monitored it and changed power levels, successfully burning it clean. Sketchy, though.

Wet exhaust and seawater cooling has its own issues, and certainly can be engineered wrong. But my opinion is wet is easier than dry, depending on the application. And most trawler type engines are designed from the start for wet.

I still like dry. But my personal boat has wet.
Ski in NC is offline   Reply With Quote