Secure outboard motor to dingy

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Obx

I searched the forum and can't find a thread on what everyone does to secure their dingy outboard to the dingy. We're leaving in Jan going from Southport NC to Keywest.
I have a older yamaha 3hp , I was thinking of using a combination lock cable (like the kind used to secure bikes), what does everyone else do?

Nothing.

Can't say I've seen any dinghies that do either.

Our Suzuki Outboard has holes so that 3/8 bolts can be used to through bolt dingy to transom. Of course they could remove bolts or cut the transom but would take longer than cutting the bicycle lock cable. You want it to be obvious that your outboard is a little harder to steal than others. That’s about all you can do. If they really want it they will get it.

We use a small cable that locks the gas can and motor to the dinghy at the transom. Our Achilles rib has an eye made just for that. The lock is keyed the same as for the long cable we use when we tie/lock to a dinghy dock. I’ve tried combination locks in the past but trying to get the combination right in the dark was a PIA. I know, I could use a flashlight but I’ve dropped a few trying.

Attachments

• 002a.jpg
    002a.jpg
    106.5 KB · Views: 67
Last edited:
O/Bs don't usually get stolen in the US, particularly a small 3 hp one. Having said that, here in Punta Gorda/Cape Coral a crew went through and stole several dozen motors ranging from 10 to 100 hp even with bolts and control cables that they just cut.

With that caveat, I have used a long cable with loops in each end that West Marine made up for me. The cable is long enough to go through the O/B, the gas tank through the transom (I cut a hole) and even up through a dock cleat. I used a brass marine combination lock. But a professional thief like above has bolt cutters that will make quick work of any cable.

David

You can use a long shackle bicycle lock through the holes on the screw clamp handles.
I have used two smaller locks w 1-3 links of chain between on a small trolling motor on a fishing boat.In most places & cases not read but if leaving it untended good to be safe.

Most old wood boats had a ventilated transom knee and most just put a chain through the “hole” in the knee and then attached it to the OB.

Locks are meant to keep honest people honest.
If "they" are intent on stealing your motor and or boat, "they" will

Last edited:
"Locks are meant to keep honest people honest.
If "they" are intent on stealing your motor and or boat, "they" will"

No question , but these items are seldom stolen to use , they are stolen to SELL.

Our Carib technique is to remove the engine cover and grind it into a rocky beach.

Then mask the outboard legs , and spray them with primer.

Your engine will look 100 years old and will be passed by the thieves.

This method kept out "patched" 13 ft Boston Whaler and brand new "100 year old " 18hp Johnson attached to our stern, even visiting French islands.

Last edited:
I have a Torqeedo which comes apart easily and can't be secured to the dinghy. So I tend to put it aboard the boat after use. Since it is a bit of a pain to put the motor on the dinghy I tend not to use it. I think I put it on the dinghy one time last year. I generally row. I take my oars off the dinghy at the marina and stow them on the boat to avoid sun exposure and because they cost as much as a small gas outboard. Away from the dock I have a locking hold down clamp for the oars.

Thieves are not very bright and they don’t carry a lot of tools. For years we had a dealership that sold small sailboats. Everyone had a 2 to 10 hp outboard. Never lost an outboard that was bolted on. Tried all the different locks and eventually the thieves figured out how to break the locks. In an effort to stay ahead of the thieves we took a grinder and rounded the nuts. We had a spiral socket that is made just for removing rounded nuts. Our marina was downtown and non gated. This required us to be a little more extreme in theft prevention.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom