Advice on heading down the NJ coast

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I cannot imagine making a weather decision based on a plumber.

Paul, as I wrote earlier I did not make a weather decision based upon my plumber. The plumber finishing up his job was my earliest date to leave but I was willing to wait for any good weather window afterwards. As it turned out, with the help of the forum, I waited an extra 3 days for what turned out to be near perfect weather. Safety and comfort were our priorities and there was no way and no need to rush the trip and in my opinion we did not.

Due to some parts issues with a steering pump we are still at Herrington Harbour North but we plan on having everything done and getting back to the boat sometime mid or late this coming week.

Trying to make it to Daytona for Christmas.

I think our next leg from Herring Bay to Portsmouth doesn't give us too many options. (1) We do 20+ knots and head straight to Portsmouth or (2) take it easy and make a stop halfway.

So, do we do one stop or two?

If we stop halfway, it looks like Smith Point Marina would be around the halfway point to get fuel and spend the night. Good place or any other suggestions?

After getting to Portsmouth we have another 850+ miles to Daytona. Do we do the Virginia Cut or the Dismal Swamp? I see on the guides that there are a couple of low bridges on the Virginia Cut? Do we just wait for them? Also a couple of locks with 2 on the DS and 1 on the VC. How much are they going to delay us? I'm starting to try to plan the next stop.

Question about etiquette: We've never gone through a lock. Are there guys to throw lines to? If there are, do we tip them like a dock hand?

Trying to eventually make this trip south a reality. Thanks for all the help and encouragement so far.

Last edited:
Good luck heading south. Don’t be in such a hurry, there are better places to spend Christmas than Daytona and more are to the north of there than to the south.

So, do we do one stop or two?
Depends on the WX. If you have headwinds and you're beating head seas down the bay, it can be a pretty miserable trip. You'd want a break. OTOH, if you have light N winds, it can be an easy run and you could leave at dawn and go til dark. There are 2 basins in Portsmouth that are free and you could spend the night there- no services, but close to restaurants. Fuel close by.

Dismal Swamp is scenic, slower.

No, you don't tip locktenders! The lock at Great Bridge is restricted opening coordinated with the bridge. It will be a stbd tie southbound and is fendered, you need bow & stern line, they'll take the lines if you can't reach the cleats. It's not a big deal, the lift/drop is barely perceptible. If you have Active Captain, it lists all the bridges, heights, restrictions (schedules), and phone #. If you don't have AC, get some way to access it, best source for current ICW info. You'll call the bridge on VHF 13 as you approach and request an opening.

There are bridges just south of Portsmouth that are listed in guide books that have been removed. The only lift between there and Great Bridge is Gilmerton, it's 35 ft closed. There are RR bridges, normally open, close with VHF security call by bridge number. Do you know your air draft to within 3"? Learn it. The bridges will have a board that tells you the height from the water to low steel. Sometimes 3 or 4 ft additional in the center, there's usually a sign that specifies. If you're close, the bridge tender may give you a hard time if you hedge on an opening request for questionable clearance. They'll quickly relent if you let them know your air draft to that detail.

It's a great trip, the 1st time can be fraught with tension, pay attention to the markers, review your route ahead of time and keep the guide books and Active Captain close at hand. Allow time to stop at a few places so you can really enjoy the trip! Safe travels!

Greetings,
Mr. bp. Good advice so far but may I add, bring very warm clothing. IF, perish the thought, you break down you could readily freeze in the wrong circumstances.
NC is currently under a severe weather warning with the potential for sleet, snow and freezing rain. This is NOT July and emergency aid/tow may not be readily at hand. Be safe please.

You might benefit from the ICW Waterway Guide. It has the needed bridge information. Also you might want to visit fleetwing.blogspot.com the blog by Bob Sherer, otherwise known as Bob423. He has links to his book 2018 ICW Cruising Guide. at ten dollars for the kindle edition you can’t go wrong. If you have an iPad, you can get a free version of Aquamap, a navigation program. It has the Active Captain notes on it as well as the Waterway Guide notes. You can also download Bob423’s routes through the shoaled areas of the ICW.

There is also some Facebook ICW pages, one that is devoted to free docks on the ICW, and a new one this year started by Bob Sherer, ICW Cruising Guide by Bob423.

I think you may be able to pick up a Waterway Guide in Coinjock.

Safe travels.

cafesport - Parents are in Daytona so would like to get there. If conditions don't warrant it I guess we can stop somewhere along the way and rent a car.

maerin - Hoping for good weather to Portsmouth though we'll have to stop for fuel to get there, 145 miles from Herring Bay to Portsmouth and marina's fuel dock doesn't open until 9am. We'd like to get a relaxing dinner in Portsmouth.
- I have active captain on my phone. Thank you for the information on the lock, it is definitely going to help cut down the anxiety. Even though we are just newbies, our crew of 3 should be able to handle it.
- Air draft according to manufacturer is 14 feet with VHF antenna down. It looks like the Centerville Turnpike Swing Bridge @ 4 feet and the North Landing Swing Bridge @ 6 feet are not normally open. So if I am reading correctly I might have to hang around for up to a half hour max? https://www.offshoreblue.com/cruising/aicw-va.php

RTF - We had some cold weather on the way down from NYC so we are pretty well outfitted for the cold weather but hoping to find some consistent above freezing temperatures soon. We're driving from the inside helm and lifejackets and wireless headsets whenever somebody needs to go out on deck. The water is awfully cold and not taking any chances.

PMF1984 - Other than the facebook pages we've got everything covered. Bob423's routes are on Aquamap on our phones, we have the latest Waterway Guides covering us down to the Keys (actually even the Bahamas - we can dream, can't we?) I forgot about Bob423's book. Will definitely go to Amazon and grab it so we can run it on an old ipad. Otherwise we are running Polar Navy software with the latest charts on a Toughbook with an external gps as our main nav aid as our shipboard Raymarine stuff is outdated.

As the creator of Active Captain has repeadily said “the most dangerous thing on a boat is a schedule.” It sounds to me like you are courting danger by rushing to get there by Chtstmas. It’s a trip you are not experienced with. You might consider driving or flying and holding the newbie boat trip for a season other than winter. Good luck with whatever you decide.

As the creator of Active Captain has repeadily said “the most dangerous thing on a boat is a schedule.” It sounds to me like you are courting danger by rushing to get there by Chtstmas. It’s a trip you are not experienced with. You might consider driving or flying and holding the newbie boat trip for a season other than winter. Good luck with whatever you decide.

Thank you. That thought is always on my mind, though probably sometimes a little further back than it should be. Like I said in a previous post, if conditions mean we won't get there by boat by Christmas there are plenty of marinas to leave the boat for a couple of days or a week and we'll just rent a car and drive the rest of the way down and continue the trip a few days later.

You have convinced me that I should have a more formal Plan B. I'll spend some of my Sunday looking for 2 or 3 places along the route that I can leave the boat that also have good access to rental cars. Charleston, Hilton Head, anywhere else with a decent sized city or tourist center?

My first 5 round trips to FL and back, because of work, I didn't leave till early or mid December.

Only a couple times did I miss a normal cruising day because of weather.

Most only a day, once or twice a multi day layover but never more than 2 additional days.

This has been a cool,vwindy fall...so it won't be easy some days deciding go-no go ... And as RTF posted, if for any reason you can't generate heat at some point, you are in a tough spot.

Other than that, have low expectations of marina services, keep plugging along, making distance on days you can....and things just might turn out as you expect them too.

You have convinced me that I should have a more formal Plan B. I'll spend some of my Sunday looking for 2 or 3 places along the route that I can leave the boat that also have good access to rental cars. Charleston, Hilton Head, anywhere else with a decent sized city or tourist center?

Not necessarily- Enterprise is ubiquitous, and they'll pick you up! For example, we stayed at Coffee Bluff- south of Savannah, small, off the beaten path, secure, fantastic folks, inexpensive. I wouldn't hesitate leaving the boat there for a side trip in a rental. The Enterprise branch was about 5 miles, 'Sure, we'll come get you!' There are lots of gems just like that up and down the coast. You'll find helpful reviews on AC, you can find Enterprise locations close by on Google maps or Google Earth. Word of mouth, forums, all great sources of obscure local knowledge.

As far as your air draft, measure it. Don't guess, don't use the spec. Get a cheap laser level or borrow one, measure it, then record it or post it by the helm. You'll be doing enough bridges that it will be worthwhile. You can be fined for requesting unnecessary lifts, not saying that it occurs, but I've had bridge tenders question a request. Knowing the actual air draft usually ends that exchange promptly. They will not give you any information that places them in a position of being liable. So if a bridge shows 14 ft on the boards and your air draft is "about 14 ft", can you get under the bridge? Don't ask the tender, they can't advise you. It's just one area you can improve your confidence level and reduce stress by knowing that easy to determine factoid. :socool:

Ditto the aversion to a schedule. Easiest path to make a trip a real unpleasant experience, so your plan to have an optional bailout is sound.

Thanks again.
We're going to take advantage of whatever good conditions that might come our way and we'll either stay put or take it easy on the bad days.

Working on some bail out points for renting a car. Thanks much for the Coffee Bluff recommendation, a rental car and a 3 1/2 hour drive would be no problem.

After Daytona our next stops are most likely Miami to visit with friends and the Keys to do some snorkeling but we don't expect to get there until mid January so no rush. We hope to be fairly experienced cruisers by then.

Taking advantage of the excellent weather the past few days.
Made it across the smooth as glass Abemarle Sound today to get to the Alligator River Marina.

abemarle.jpg

Nice, I am starting to think the weather is better now than back in late October, Nov, when I came down. Keep truckin'!

Nice, I am starting to think the weather is better now than back in late October, Nov, when I came down. Keep truckin'!

We made it across all the bays and inlets with nothing more than 2ft of wave - maybe not even that big.

Right now we are at Fernandina Beach in FL and we'll probably have to stay until Saturday due to rain and very strong wind forecasts but it looks like we should make it to our destination in Daytona with time to spare.

A fun trip with interesting places so far from stops in smaller towns to some pretty good meals in Charleston and Savannah. This time we were 20+ knots whenever we had an open stretch of water. Next time I'd like to take it a little slower.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom