Thread: " Like " Button
View Single Post
Old 12-08-2018, 09:12 PM   #27
geoleo

City: Lutz
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptTom View Post
I'm on another forum which uses a "Like" button. I use it all the time, and I'd love to see it here.

First, let me say I'm NOT on Facebook, I have had a Twitter account for several years that I've used exactly once, and I'm totally NOT into the whole social media thing.

I rarely want to get so formal as to initiate an e-mail by using "Thanks." That's reserved for a someone very specifically addressing an issue for me personally.

Usually, a simple show of support for a good answer is more appropriate. It's quick and easy to just tap "Like." Far better than a whole new post just to say "+1."

It's also good for the forum overall. It's highly motivational to see that multiple folks appreciate something you've written, even if no-one feels the need to personally thank you.

It brings people back to the forum, to see if what they said, or what someone else said which they agree with, also resonates with other members.

It encourages people to think before posting. Am I adding value? Can I say this in a positive way that people will "like," instead of just disagreeing with someone else?

A "Like" option is a way to encourage good posts and a sense of community, and subtly discourage unhelpful posts and rudeness.

In that other forum, the "Likes" are just one line at the bottom of a post. It shows the names and the first few people who "liked" it. If there are more, it'll say "and xx others." You never see a long list. When you log on, it says how many likes you've received. You can click to see what it was people liked. Or ignore the whole thing. No real waste of time or space for anyone.

To those who think it's a bad idea: I would have agreed with you before I tried it on that other forum. Now I think it's what makes that place a success.
First you say you are not on Facebook--- later you go on and on describing Facebooks inner workings??????????????????????
geoleo is offline   Reply With Quote