It is Xmas today

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I have an electric planer. Love the thing, but it’s more of a rough fit tool as opposed to a finish tool. Great for planning down a to tall door.

My wife says that I have never met a tool that I didn’t need...

Very nice Lou. Speaking of Xmas we are getting our boss a Stanley #45 combination plane with cutters and box , shhhhhh he doesn’t know.

Love those planes.

For those of you who like old tools, a trip to Liberty Tool in Maine is not to be missed. Liberty Tool -- Tools

Love going there! Its been about 25 years since my last trip though.

How come people from Maine don't know about Liberty? I've worked with many who never heard of it,some live within a half hour drive. They all thought I was pulling their leg.

Love going there! Its been about 25 years since my last trip though.

How come people from Maine don't know about Liberty? I've worked with many who never heard of it,some live within a half hour drive. They all thought I was pulling their leg.
Thanks I didn’t know about these guys either . Most sights are just for looking and not buying . I just sold most of my power tools . They were old and heavy and in mybasement shop. 13” Rockwell planner , 14” Rockwell band saw and 8” powermatic jointer . I’m down to just table saw , drill press and some hand power tools. I’ve been thinking on some old hand tools. I’m not sure if I’m disciplined enough to keep them sharp .

Last edited:
Greetings,
Mr. m. I think they may have been designed to work with Naptha (white gas/paraffin) but I think anything that was cheap, would burn and was handy was used. Gasoline, paint thinner, kerosene and probably diesel if they could get it lit.
There was a priming cup under the nozzle you filled with your fuel and burnt the fuel thereby heating the nozzle which helped to vaporize said fuel.
Traditional way of heating your soldering iron.

th

Back in High School metal shop we were taught how to use those soldering irons, but we heated them up in a gas fire pit instead of the hand torch.

Santa just dropped off a five stage turbine HVLP paint spray system. The plan is to use it for a stealth respray (in the slip) of the black outside trim around the windows. These things are noted for very minimal overspray and they're portable. Mask as necessary, place the suitcase size turbine in the V-berth space, run the hose out through the overhead hatch and Bob's yer Uncle. Noise level is about the same as a large shop vac...virtually nil for the neighbors if it's inside the boat. If I chicken out from doing it in the slip, I'll find a spot to anchor, start the genset and squirt it there.

Very nice, and it reminded me that I purchased a HVLP gun at a car show in Daytona many many years ago. It is still in my garage and still in the box.:banghead: It looks like we are going to need to pull it out and make sure it works.

I wish I was your boss :)

L
We just installed a 9” wide, 6 head Weinig moulder with automatic enhanced set up heads 250k. Also installed an all moving blade rip saw. It’s all fast and loud. There’s nothing like the sound of a sharp hand tool making a thin shaving.

Greetings,
Yup, sharp hand tools...Old school and in Mr. L_t's case old TOOLS.

I've been working, a bit, on axes and hand saws. Nothing terribly old (50's and 60's vintage) but things that I have found at the back of the tool shed or in a box somewhere.

Mr. PM. You mention sharpening. That's something I'm going to have to practice. I'm not satisfied with the saws I've done so far. They're a LOT better than when I started but still don't perform the way I'd like.

Thanks I didn’t know about these guys either . Most sights are just for looking and not buying . I just sold most of my power tools . They were old and heavy and in mybasement shop. 13” Rockwell planner , 14” Rockwell band saw and 8” powermatic jointer . I’m down to just table saw , drill press and some hand power tools. I’ve been thinking on some old hand tools. I’m not sure if I’m disciplined enough to keep them sharp .

Marty, I wouldn't expect you to know about them because they are a New England mom and pop type biz. BTW, their power tools are over priced IMHO.They are great for hand tools,especially woodworkers stuff. Lots of old hand planes,Diston saws etc. The "store" is an old house.

I also have an old wooden fillister plane that I need to renovate. The wooden body is in good shape but the forward lateral cutter blade is missing as well the sole mounter lateral fence. Will make a new fence with a scrap piece of maple or birch and will use a piece of hacksaw blade that I will sharpen for the cutter.
Did I say that I love old tools? :)

L

Those of you who have been to Europe, may have noticed grey, silvery roofing material made of zinc. Those were sheets of 225 x 100 cm. As a roofer apprentice in Amsterdam, the Netherlands back in 1962, I used such a torch to heat the soldering irons as stated above. And yes, it had to be preheated and pumped The large sheets of zinc were soldered together at the narrow ends. We used white gas if I recall correctly. Those devices were quite effective and efficient. My stingy boss never allowed us to convert to propane which was also available.

Greetings,
Just a few things I've been working on. The saws and axes were very rusty.

IMG_0738.JPG

New handles for the axes.

Greetings,
Yup, sharp hand tools...Old school and in Mr. L_t's case old TOOLS.

I've been working, a bit, on axes and hand saws. Nothing terribly old (50's and 60's vintage)...
I`ve an axe from that vintage. 2 new heads and 3 new handles but it`s a great old axe.:)

Greetings,
Mr. BK. I hear ya' but not quite. Same heads but the handles are mostly for show. Wrong wood and not the best profile but it's what I had handy.

Greetings,
Mr. BK. I hear ya' but not quite. Same heads but the handles are mostly for show. Wrong wood and not the best profile but it's what I had handy.
Not sure why but I am not able to see the picture you posted.

L

Here is the fillister plane I am renovating. Did the sole edge guide last Sunday. Tested a front cutter blade made from an hacksaw blade (in blue) but it is too flexible, I need to make another one from thicker iron. The blade is old but honed it razor sharp and it is cutting very nicely even in hard wood.

image2(1)(1)(1)(1).jpeg

image1(1)(1)(1)(1)(1).jpeg

L

Greetings,
Mr. L_t. You probably want tool steel or spring steel for the blade. Thicker? How about a Sawz-all blade. They should be 2X to 3X as thick as a hacksaw blade. Maybe a piece of file? You may have to re-temper after shaping.

Last edited:
Power hacksaw blades work well and make good knife blades.

As xmas never really ends here are my two recent toys that I just finished to clean and tune up. They will get a central place in my new to build hand tools cabinet!

IMG_20190125_180618.jpeg

L

Back
Top Bottom