What 5 year plan?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Capitaine R

Vessel Name
Charlie Noble
Vessel Make
32 Nordic Tug
When I first joined this forum I stated that my wife and I were on a 5 year plan to look at and eventually buy a retirement boat to travel around Florida and to do the Great Loop. So the search was on to find the right boat with the right layout. Well we looked at four boats total in person. The first one was a 26' 1983 Nordic Tug, and we liked it, but the wife really wanted a separate shower which the 26 does not have and they are a little too narrow for us. The second boat was a 30' Sundowner. A very nice boat, but the owner had installed a small generator under the settee in the salon. It was loud and it vibrated the whole boat. Next was a 2001 32' Nordic Tug in Connecticut. A very beautiful boat, but out of our price range. Knowing that we were probably needing to look at boats that need some TLC to keep it in our price range we looked at another 32 Nordic Tug at the same Marina in Connecticut as the 2001. We liked her, she has good bones and low hours. She has a salon that is a little bare of cabinetry and no settee so we can build what we want to make it comfortable for us. There is a 4 kw gen that runs quiet and everything electronic at the helm works. The main engine is a little over sized, buts runs sweet and is quieter than I would have ever imagined. She has radar, gps, fire suppression system, auto pilot, and a bow thruster. She needs a lot of cleaning and a lot of polishing. All the wood, and an older Nordic Tug has a lot of wood, needs to be re-finished. She has a couple of rain water leaks. But nothing we can't handle.
So we are still 4.5 years out for retirement, at least, but we decided lets make an offer, they probably won't take it but if they do we have 4.5 years to fix her up. We made the offer, they countered, we stayed at our original offer. a couple of months went by. I saw on the web site that they dropped the price a couple of times. We re-sent our original offer to the Broker with the usual stipulations, survey, sea trial Blah Blah Blah. All the while figuring they won't take it.

They took it. With one stipulation, they will do no repairs after the survey. Sold as is.

So next step, we found a Surveyor with knowledge of Nordics. He did the survey, all was just as we thought. No problems we didn't already know. No major issues just needs some loving care. We had already talked to the bank, no problem there.
So after a several phone calls and some snail mailings we are now the proud owners of a 1986 32' Nordic Tug.
The next step... Getting her to Southwest Florida from Connecticut. :dance:

Congrats. Now you have something to fill all your empty hours.

Greetings,
Mr. CR. 5 year plan? Ya right!

200w.gif

Well, why the heck not? Congratulations.

CT to FL? No problem. Out of the harbor and turn right. The only things you will need are tow insurance and a credit card. How hard can it be?

Congrats.

Why SW Florida?

Overall, you make an excellent choice, especially compared to the others you looked at. The Sundancer (great boat) would be quite expensive for gas on the loop, but I love the dancers I've owned.

You have the time to make sure everything is as expected and if everything works you have it made. Be prepared to upgrade or replace things that are marginal. You don't want issues that drive you nuts on the loop. You have plenty of time, but make your upgrades and modification early in case things don't work out like you want.

Regarding electronics... be SURE they work up to your expectations. And if they are really old, consider getting some new stuff. Especially chart plotter, depth, VHF and autopilot. You will be happy those things work and are not marginal.

Sounds like you have a great start. Keep us posted.

Overall, you make an excellent choice, especially compared to the others you looked at. The Sundancer (great boat) would be quite expensive for gas on the loop, but I love the dancers I've owned.

You have the time to make sure everything is as expected and if everything works you have it made. Be prepared to upgrade or replace things that are marginal. You don't want issues that drive you nuts on the loop. You have plenty of time, but make your upgrades and modification early in case things don't work out like you want.

Regarding electronics... be SURE they work up to your expectations. And if they are really old, consider getting some new stuff. Especially chart plotter, depth, VHF and autopilot. You will be happy those things work and are not marginal.

Sounds like you have a great start. Keep us posted.

Thanks for the advice , SeeVee, I have been drooling at the electronics catalogs already.
The second boat we looked at was a Sundowner not a Sundancer.

Ahhh, and you bought a boat in CT. She must have really hit the mark!

Not only that but there isn't that many Nordic Tugs or tug style boats in Florida for sale.

Hmmm, we are about 5 years out too. Nowhere near buying a boat though. Congrats.

Not only that but there isn't that many Nordic Tugs or tug style boats in Florida for sale.

If we are around and you need on board navigational help through our area - say St Simon's through Daytona, let us know.

If we are around and you need on board navigational help through our area - say St Simon's through Daytona, let us know.
We will definitely keep that in mind.

Wifey B: So, you should be completing your 10 year plan in 2019. My goodness, by 2020 you'll already be to 2032 or something like that. You're like hamsters on those wheels. :rofl:

You did good I think. You had an idea, a chance showed up and you didn't say the plan said no, I can't do it cause I have a plan, instead you jumped on it. :dance:

Congratulations, now you have 4.5 years to break it and learn how to repair it :D

L

I had a 5 year plan to live on my boat. 20+ years later I am still living on my boat. Must of made that plan on February 29th.

Hi

Congratulations to the new tug owners :flowers:

NT is definitely a good choice to implement your plan, all the good you and the enthusiasm to do cleaning and maintenance with love!

NBs

Congratulations, now you have 4.5 years to break it and learn how to repair it :D

L

I'm hoping I won't have to learn how to repair too many things while trying to bring it home to Florida this spring.

Greetings,
Mr. CR. "I'm hoping I won't have to learn how to repair too many things..." Nobody can foresee what may happen tomorrow. Prepare as best you can by making sure everything is currently working as it should. Start making "THE LIST". I guarantee you will get a whole heap of useful suggestions from the members on how to prepare for her and your maiden voyage. Regarding the maiden voyage. IF possible, take her out a couple of times, even for short runs before you leave the dock for good.

Change fluids and filters. Temporarily patch known leaks with something that is easy to remove and will not damage existing surface (duct tape, a gob of butyl tape). Have the latest cruising guides, chart books, charts (either paper or electronic) AND the manuals for any and all equipment on board, on board.
Make sure your safety equipment (life preservers, flares, anchor, navigational lights, radios, EPIRB? etc.) is adequate and up to date.

I love lists!

Hey. Your 5 year plan has been amended and this is a GOOD thing. The best is yet to come and congratulations again.

Yeah Todd, I laughed a little too when I wrote that.

Awesome, Capitaine! Congratulations to you both. Please keep us posted as you traverse through the process and your travels down here (fellow Floridian). Everyone here is great about supplying helpful suggestions.

Congratulations! I’m one year into my five year plan, and I can totally understand how this can happen. I’ve had more than a few impatient moments, but thankfully I’m still too poor to do anything impulsive, lol. Best of luck with your maiden voyage!

Great story, congratulations!

I would imagine the New England boats to have much less wear and tear than Florida boats, in general? Less UV exposure and more storage time?

You will have a blast taking it home!

Congratulations, it sounds like a good plan. We have been looking at boats for the last year and a half and last week our offer was accepted, '96 Monk 36. So we feel your excitement.

Wifey B: We got no 5 year plans. Not even a 1 year yet but working on it. Now to businesswoman Wifey B. Hubby B refuses to do 5 year plans. Our employees do about 18 months and regularly revise. 5 year financials are just mathematical formulas, no plan behind them. He says no one has any idea about 5 years from now. I remember first time we had the discussion with our CEO and CFO at that time. They looked around shocked and then suddenly acknowledged the absurdity of thinking you knew all to happen in five years.

Back to non business me. You focus too much on too far out and you fail to focus on the present and next year. You miss it. It passes you by. You miss the boat the OP bought now. I hear people all the time talking about "when the time is right" or worse, "when I have no stress" and s... like that. Well, the time never comes. I know a family planned a reunion but they were waiting until there was a time everyone could come. Well, many dead now and still no reunion. :)

Greetings,
Mr. CR. "I'm hoping I won't have to learn how to repair too many things..." Nobody can foresee what may happen tomorrow. Prepare as best you can by making sure everything is currently working as it should. Start making "THE LIST". I guarantee you will get a whole heap of useful suggestions from the members on how to prepare for her and your maiden voyage. Regarding the maiden voyage. IF possible, take her out a couple of times, even for short runs before you leave the dock for good.

Change fluids and filters. Temporarily patch known leaks with something that is easy to remove and will not damage existing surface (duct tape, a gob of butyl tape). Have the latest cruising guides, chart books, charts (either paper or electronic) AND the manuals for any and all equipment on board, on board.
Make sure your safety equipment (life preservers, flares, anchor, navigational lights, radios, EPIRB? etc.) is adequate and up to date.

I love lists!

Hey. Your 5 year plan has been amended and this is a GOOD thing. The best is yet to come and congratulations again.

RT, I think I'm going to print this out so I can remember to do all of this and not forget something important in the excitement of the moment. The only thing I will not be able to do is take her out a couple of times, logistics and vacation time restraints may not afford me that pleasure. We have a plan B. I have a brother who still lives on long island, so we plan to make a run from Connecticut river to Jamesport L.I. the first day. We can dock there for as long as we need to make any repairs. :thumb:
I have already started to make lists. I have whipped up a pre-trip check list and a spreed sheet of all the spare parts, oils, filters, manuals, and charts that the P.O. has left on the boat. We do know, thanks to the surveyor that the anchor chain and rode need to be replaced before we go anywhere. Luckily all 3 anchors are in great shape and the windlass works fine.
This week we are working on arrangements to get her wrapped for the winter, we don't want any of the small leaks making up coming projects bigger.

Greetings,
Mr. CR. I'm quite sure there is most probably a definitive list somewhere on TF of items that would be a good idea to have onboard but given the propensity for thread drift it may be impossible to find.

Also keep strictly to the "Goldilocks" plan. Not too much, not too little, just right. While your boat is marvelous it is still only 32'. Do NOT succumb to the temptation to bring everything AND the kitchen sink. No, you do NOT need a dinner place setting for 8 nor the cutlery to go with it...

I might add (ulterior motive here, more tools...he..he...) IF you don't have one already, buy an "all in one" tool kit that has wrenches, sockets etc. Much easier to stow than your garage tool box that may or may not have that ONE tool you need but lost last year and haven't replaced (yet).

62664_I.jpg

This example is Harbor Freight which is NOT a recommendation, simply an example. Major benefit for this type of tool box is it's easy to stow.

Back
Top Bottom